2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-24 22:24
- Choosing shades and patterns
- Textile selection tricks
- What types of registration are there?
- Selection of material length and texture
- Visual correction of a window opening
- Choosing curtains for the apartment
- The most common mistakes
- Instead of a conclusion
Making your own home is a pleasant and troublesome task. I want beauty, comfort and individuality. The window plays an important role in the interior. The selection of curtains, the material from which they are made, the color and texture depend on the nature of the room, the colors of furniture and walls, as well as the requirements and taste of the owners. Find tips on how to choose curtains for your interior below.
Choosing shades and patterns
First of all, remember that the room should look in the same style and please all the inhabitants. Before choosing the color of the curtains, check who likes what. If your family cannot agree, there are universal color solutions - white, gray, beige.
When choosing the color scheme of the fabric, pay attention to the lighting and the arrangement of the windows to the south, north, west or east side. The intensity of the light will help determine how to match the color of the curtains to the interior.
Use cool colors (blue, purple, lavender) in rooms with windows facing south, southeast. Warm colors (pink, beige, sand) - to the north or west side.
In rooms with intense sunlight, choose dark shades of fabric, such curtains will prevent fading of furniture and wallpaper.
The presence of a print on the canvas or its absence is an important detail. For example, in order not to overload the room visually, it is recommended to choose a monochromatic color if a pattern is applied to the wallpaper. Conversely, if the walls or wallpaper are not illustrated, the curtains should be patterned. Remember that it is optimal to choose modest and not bright images.
If the wallpaper in the room has an intense color, it is better to choose a pastel (unobtrusive) shade without a pattern for the curtains. The color of the material can be similar to the walls, but a few shades lighter.
The combination of several colors in the color of the walls allows you to choose a two-color version of the textiles, but you should be careful with this decision. The probability of color "overload" remains.
Little tricks: the pattern on the curtains helps to expand the space of the room or "raise" the ceilings. The vertical strip visually makes the ceiling of the room higher, and the horizontal strip expands the space.
Do not combine prints on wallpaper and curtains, this combination disrupts perception and makes the room uncomfortable.
Textile selection tricks
Today you can find curtains from any material:
- natural (cotton, linen, silk, viscose);
- synthetic (polyester);
- blended (polycotton - polyester and cotton).
Each type of textile has its own advantages and disadvantages:
- flax is perfectly washed and is used for a long time. The longer it hangs, the more interesting it looks due to the aging effect;
- silk can look different in rooms with different lighting. Lining is required due to the fine texture;
- cotton, viscose - the need for a lining depends on the density of the fabric;
- polyester has worked well, but its lightness does not allow the formation of heavy folds;
- mixed fabrics (polycotton) - the best option, aesthetic, durable and easy to clean.
Note to the hostess: if the curtains are made of upholstery, it is necessary to strengthen the cornice.
What types of registration are there?
Different countries have their own window design options. The types of curtains got their name in accordance with the characteristic design techniques of the area. In order to know how to choose the right curtains, you need to understand the intricacies of product styles:
- Roman - the principle is similar to roller blinds, but they differ in the adjustment mechanism and fabric texture;
- French is a characteristic feature of rounded folds and a solemn appearance;
- Japanese - austere, minimalistic style, the fabric hangs straight along the window. This effect is achieved by the presence of dense insert parts at the top and bottom of the products;
- Austrian - combines rounded folds in the assembled version, and in the straightened one - they look like an ordinary curtain;
- The classic version involves two canvases on the sides of the window opening.
Roller blinds, blinds and pleats are provided for a modern design style. Most often, such designs are used for office premises, balconies, but they can also decorate window openings in ordinary rooms.
Selection of material length and texture
Depending on the effect that the curtain should create in the room and the nature of the room itself, the answer to the question depends: "How to choose the right curtains?" It is better to choose a short length in the nursery, office and kitchen. Roman roller blinds are better suited for these rooms.
The area of a small room will visually help increase light and light fabrics. The dark color of the drapery and the dense texture will look great in a room with a high ceiling.
There are standard product length sizes:
- If you want the curtain to touch the floor, the canvas should be 15 - 20 cm longer than the wall;
- If an option is planned with curtains that will not reach the floor covering, the distance between the curtain and the floor should not exceed 5 - 8 cm.
Visual correction of a window opening
The appearance of the window will depend on how you choose the curtains for the room. A small window opening can be optically enlarged if the cornice is hung as much as possible from the ceiling and along the entire length of the wall, and the curtains are light in color and light texture along the window borders.
If the window is large, it is better to fix the cornice at a distance of 40-50 cm from the edge of the window opening and leave the piers. This design option will allow not to "burden" the space design visually. The free part of the wall can be decorated with paintings or pendant lights.
In a room with high ceilings, dark and heavy curtains will look great, while the cornice must be fixed above the window opening.
Choosing curtains for the apartment
All rooms in the house have a different functional load. Depending on the room: children's room, bedroom, living room, study, kitchen - you should select the style, color and texture of curtains. A shortened version, Roman or roller blinds of bright colors, with the image of geometric shapes, letters or fairy-tale characters, is suitable for a nursery. It is better to choose lightweight fabrics, because during the game, the child can tear off the curtains along with the mount.
A short version of the canvas is also suitable for the office. The color and texture of the material should match the overall style and evoke a working mood. Pick up roman or roller blinds for the kitchen. The material from which they are made is easy to clean. In addition, such structures are not blown up by a draft, which prevents fire. The convenient control mechanism allows you to quickly raise and lower the canvas.
In the bedroom, choose pastel lined products so that the morning sun does not disturb you. It is optimal to select a plain material or canvas with unobtrusive prints to create a cozy and relaxing atmosphere in the bedroom. In the living room you can choose brightly colored curtains in French style with accessories. After all, this room should look solemn.
The most common mistakes
Remember that the window is not only of practical importance:
- Thermal insulation.
- Security function - prevents debris, insects, etc. from entering the room.
- Regulation of lighting intensity.
- Stand for flowers and other decorative elements.
Its aesthetic role in the interior design is also important. In order for your room to look attractive, do not select:
- the same images on curtains and furniture upholstery if there is a carpet with an ornament, paintings and other decorative elements in the interior of the room;
- dark fabric colors and dense fabric texture in a small room;
- vertical stripes on the material in a narrow room with a high ceiling, horizontal stripes on fabric in a wide room with a low ceiling;
- short cornice for a small window opening;
- bright shades of textiles to intense color of the walls;
- there are too many decorative elements of a small window, such a solution visually further reduces the size of the opening;
- lightweight, unlined products for rooms with bright sunlight.
Instead of a conclusion
When choosing curtains for your home, do not forget about the fashion trends of the season: colors, textures, styles. However, you should listen to your own taste and the opinion of experts, then you can create the apartment of your dreams.