2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- Varnish selection
- Tips for choosing a varnish color
- The technology of coating a wooden table with varnish
- Preparing the surface
- Priming process
- Varnish application
The choice of furniture in modern furniture stores is quite wide, as well as the material from which it is made. However, natural wood products have not lost their attractiveness. For example, a solid wood kitchen set. Such a product will be 2-3 times cheaper if you order it from a craftsman. You can try to assemble it yourself, even more so. That parts for such furniture are also widely represented in stores. But, we will talk about how to varnish a wooden table so that the furniture is protected from all kinds of damage and pleases the eye.
Preferences in the choice of paint and varnish material depend only on consumers. Our task is to acquaint them with the properties of each species. Table lacquers are:
- Water-based are the most environmentally friendly. The substance is almost odorless, does not pose a health hazard to the consumer. It is water-based varnishes that are most often used for furniture in a nursery. But, professional craftsmen rarely use them, since after drying, the treated surface becomes matte.
- Acrylic-based materials are affordable and fairly easy to process. It is best for beginners to start with just such varnishes. If mistakes are made in the process of work, then they can be easily corrected. For this, white spirit is used or the surface is polished.
- On a polyurethane basis, they are already recommended for professional craftsmen. It is better to apply such a substance with a spray. In this case, the surface will look quite stylish. It is better to purchase such material in company stores.
- For very expensive wood, specialized furniture oils are used. This composition is quite expensive, therefore it is rarely used. Apply only by hand using a swab.
Tips for choosing a varnish color
For novice craftsmen, a very important question is what shade to choose a varnish for a wooden table. The customer must also put an end to this question. You can not violate the natural texture of the wood or cover it in the color of cherry or walnut. But the result you expect is not always obtained. To prevent this, you should familiarize yourself with some of the features:
- Colorless varnish will not always retain the original appearance of the wood. Most often, it gives a yellowish wooden surface. Therefore, if it is necessary to maintain the original shade, it is better to use polyurethane materials. They eliminate the appearance of yellowness.
- Coming to company stores, sellers will provide a wide range of colors to choose from. To get the color on which the preference is stopped, it is better to take a color scheme that is 2 -3 tones lighter. After all, the desired gloss on a wooden surface is formed only after applying 5 or 6 layers. The shade will be darker with each subsequent layer.
- In the case when 2-3 layers are applied and as a result the desired surface color is obtained, but the required gloss is achieved, then this problem can be solved with the help of a colorless varnish.
- Varnishing should be started only after high-quality sanding has been done.
The technology of coating a wooden table with varnish
Before starting work, you should figure out how to varnish a wooden table. First, you should worry about how to protect the respiratory system. This requires a dust mask or mask. Also, work is carried out only in rooms that are well ventilated. To varnish the table correctly, here is some algorithm for performing the restoration work.
Preparing the surface
Surface preparation plays a very important role in the quality of varnishing a wooden table. First, you should stock up on tools for sanding a wooden surface:
- sandpaper of varying grain size;
- a piece of a wooden block;
- a piece of rubber;
- long stick.
The wooden block must be wrapped with sandpaper and secured. This method will greatly facilitate the work and help to make the surface perfectly cleaned. Smooth surfaces are processed using a bar with sandpaper.
If it is necessary to process rounded surfaces, it is better to use a piece of compacted rubber and also wrap it with sandpaper. The holes are processed with a sanding paper stick.
Correct processing is achieved by smooth movements along the grain of the wood. This method will eliminate the formation of scratches on the table surface. Start with a coarse sandpaper and gradually reduce the grit until you reach the minimum grit.
In the event that scratches do form, this place must be moistened, allowed to dry, and then the sanding process must be repeated with fine-grained sandpaper.
Before coating the table with varnish, the wooden surface should be primed first. It is the primer that will close the pores in the wood and much less varnish is required. For priming a wooden surface, the following compositions are used:
- liquid wax;
- turpentine to which wax is added;
- a mixture of PVA glue with wood powder;
- a solution of wood glue and water.
The primer is applied to the surface with an aerosol can or a brush. Then we leave it to dry for a while and re-process it with fine-grained sandpaper.
Important: thoroughly remove all dust before applying varnish to the table surface.
Painting a table with varnish consists of the following stages:
- Covering the table with a small amount of stain. At the same time, we do not allow the formation of greasy smears and streaks. After applying, we wait for the stain to dry completely.
- The second layer is applied after the already applied one has ceased to stick. Sometimes you have to apply several layers of stain. To give the surface a gloss, it is sometimes necessary to perform intermediate sanding.
- After the desired shade is reached, they begin to open the surface with colorless varnish. The varnish should also be applied evenly, without smears and streaks.
Observing all the rules that were given in this article, novice wizards will be able to do their job easily and quickly. Read more about other options for transforming furniture.
The cheapest popular way to restore the table surface with oil and vinegar. You just need to dilute and wipe. Details in the video.
Independent restoration of furniture can update and transform both soft and wooden products, in order to do this, you need to know the technique of updating furniture
Installation of wooden roofs Installation of wooden roofs, as a rule, is carried out using milled boards with a maximum thickness of 2-2
Table tennis is a popular and popular game. But the equipment for it costs a lot of money. So, how to save money and make a do-it-yourself tennis table
As a rule, wooden windows have always been considered and still remain the most beautiful and high quality windows among such a wide range on the market. It goes without saying that now completely different technologies are used in the manufacture of wooden windows and the quality obtained as a result cannot be compared with the quality of those windows that were installed in our houses 15 - 20 years ago. Accordingly, after so many years, old wooden windows will need to be replaced
Restoration and restoration of a wooden window - DIY instructions for repairing old wooden window frames. How to remove paint from wooden windows, how to putty, treat with linseed oil and paint