2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-24 22:24
- Tools and materials needed to create a homemade kitchen table
- Stages of making the table yourself
- Recommendations and features of making a kitchen table with your own hands
- Ideas for making wooden tables, video
The table takes the main place in the kitchen space. This essential element is essential for cooking and eating. Making a kitchen table with your own hands is a simple job, but, as in all actions, in this case, certain skills and abilities will be required, as well as appropriate materials and tools.
Today, almost any, even the most complex, woodworking equipment can be rented. Which is very beneficial and economical. In addition, the materials are also affordable.
Thus, making a dining table with your own hands allows you to get a high-quality, unique and reliable product that meets personal aesthetic preferences and required dimensions with minimal cost.
Tools and materials needed to create a homemade kitchen table
When making a table for the kitchen with your own hands, you may need various materials. Their choice depends on the design solution, type of construction and decoration. Materials for the table top and legs are a must.
To create a homemade kitchen table, you need to purchase:
- Furniture board having a thickness of 40-45 mm. Its width, as a rule, can be from 600 to 800 mm. The length is usually selected according to your own preferences. In standard versions, it ranges from 1200 to 1400 mm;
- Square bar for the production of table legs. The most constructive options are timber with dimensions of 60x60 or 70x70 mm. You can also purchase ready-made curly legs from a store that specializes in such products. These products can be made both of wood and metal;
- Beam 40x40, having a length corresponding to the size of the countertop around the perimeter. This material will serve to stiffen the entire structure.
If a one-piece tabletop is missing for some reason, then it can be replaced with a set of separate boards of a suitable size. Boards must be glued together or connected in another way.
To make a dining table with your own hands, you will need the following tools:
- Hacksaw or electric jigsaw;
- Electric drill, with a set of drills for working with wood;
- Sander. It can be replaced by a special nozzle for grinding;
- Sandpaper of various grain sizes;
- A centimeter ruler, square, construction tape;
- Fasteners, bolts, screws, nuts.
Stages of making the table yourself
The main stages of creating a kitchen table made of wood with your own hands are:
- Countertop manufacturing;
- Installation of a reinforcing bar;
- Attaching the legs;
- Decoration and decoration;
If there is no ready-made furniture board, then the simplest and most optimal solution for creating a table top will be a blank from glued laminated timber. To do it, you must:
- Cut the timber into pieces of the required size. This will require electrical equipment;
- Thoroughly process and grind the mating surfaces;
- Using special glue, glue the blanks and fix them with clamps, placing them on a flat surface. Leave to dry completely;
- Grind the finished block;
- Chamfer and round corners.
The countertop decorated with tiles looks very unusual and aesthetically pleasing. To create it, it is recommended to use furniture tiles or a block of solid wood.
- Remove part of the countertop cavity to a depth corresponding to the tile thickness. For this, a chisel or hand milling is suitable;
- Along the perimeter, leave a side with a height of 50-70 mm;
- Glue the tiles with glue to the resulting surface.
In order for the future table to be strong enough, a bar is attached along the perimeter of the tabletop with self-tapping screws.
Before attaching the legs to them, drill holes 1 mm less than the thickness of the screws. Next, fittings are attached to the legs. Then the legs are fixed to the tabletop with special mounting hardware.
Paintwork should be carried out in several stages. The more layers are applied, the more beautiful the product will look.
This is one of the simplest homemade kitchen table models. In the video below you can see a more complicated and interesting design.
Recommendations and features of making a kitchen table with your own hands
Before making a kitchen table yourself, it is recommended to carefully consider all the elements and details that will be used in it, as well as technological solutions. The design stage is responsible for how beautiful and comfortable the table will be.
The most crucial moment is the manufacture of countertops. It is recommended to carefully approach the issue of creating the most visible part of the product.
The installation of the reinforcing bar to the tabletop must be carried out taking into account the exact markings. In addition, you should not forget to leave a certain distance to secure the legs.
Before painting and decorating the finished table, it is recommended to thoroughly grind all the details of the structure again so that they are absolutely smooth, and a unique wood structure appears.
It is recommended to make a dining table with your own hands from dry high-quality wood. The finished product from this material can be coated with wax and varnish. Defective wood can be putty, sanded and decorated with acrylic paint.
Before coating with varnish or paint, remove dust and dirt on the surface. Drying is recommended in a room at room temperature. Modern varnishes have a positive effect on surface protection from all kinds of damage and premature destruction of the material. The tinting properties of the products allow you to achieve any desired shade. Including giving the finished table an appearance corresponding to valuable wood species.
Following simple instructions, as well as applying imagination and some engineering skills will help you easily decide how to make your own kitchen table. Making items more complex than the one described will require more experience and dexterity, as well as carpentry skills and possibly special tools.
Ideas for making wooden tables, video