2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-24 22:24
- Restoration technique
- The sequence of the restoration work
- Determine the degree of wear
- Choosing a material
- Step-by-step instruction
Lacquered furniture is returning to use. After all, lacquered products look rich, and the interior is given originality and solidity. Although, to be honest, her surface is quite problematic. It can easily be damaged. A very common defect is the occurrence of scratches. You should not immediately get rid of the spoiled table, but you should try to restore it. This process can be entrusted to master restorers or try to restore the lacquered table with your own hands.
Let's figure out how to restore a lacquered table using the restoration method. This is one of the best ways to bring back a dignified look to a lacquered table. For example, in order to eliminate scratches, it is necessary to remove a layer of varnish on the defective places, and then apply a new one. This method is effective enough to get rid of any scratches. But scratches are not the only problem for lacquered furniture. The next drawback that may appear over time is the darkening of the varnished surface. As a result of clouding the surface of the table top, the appearance of the table begins to lose significantly in relation to other furniture. Such a defect is corrected in a similar way: removing the old layer of varnish and reapplying a new one. This method is quite simple, and it is quite possible to varnish the old table with your own hands.
The sequence of the restoration work
You can renew an old lacquered table in several stages. But first, you should prepare some tools and materials and think about your safety. So, let's get acquainted in detail with the algorithm for performing work on the restoration of the varnished table.
Determine the degree of wear
Before restoring the varnish on the table, you should first assess the degree of defects formed.
- Visual aging of the table surface. Defects that belong to this type are the formation of darkening in the places of the thread, the formation of a mesh on the surface. Although, one should take into account the fact that insignificant manifestations of such violations do not spoil the furniture, but, on the contrary, give it value.
More serious defects require intervention and restoration. The main thing is to carry out the work so as not to damage it completely. For example, many simply apply paint, thereby painting over all the beauty and attractiveness of the varnished surface.
Choosing a material
The question arises how to remove the varnish from the table. The right materials must be selected to ensure the quality of the restoration. Many people believe that problem areas can be removed with alcohol. In some cases, minor defects can indeed be applied with alcohol, but unforeseen consequences may occur, such as roughness, light areas, etc. Therefore, we will focus on specialized materials that will become good helpers for novice craftsmen.
- Shellac varnish. Such material not only helps to restore the surface, but also emphasize its originality. This is one of the oldest and most proven materials. The consistency of the polish is more like a liquid than a varnish. To achieve a high-quality result, this composition is applied in about 50 - 60 layers. It is because of this that the original deep color is achieved. This is a very good option for removing scratches on a lacquered table.
- Nitrocellulose varnish. This solution is used to restore large table surfaces. For its application, sprayers are used, which provide a very fast and uniform spraying. At a lower speed, the droplets of the solution begin to solidify, and the desired effect of a smooth and uniform surface will be quite difficult to achieve. That is why it is not recommended to use standard spray guns, which additionally form air bubbles, which are almost impossible to get rid of.
- Pentaphthalic varnish. It is an ideal material for table restoration, as it is quite easy to work with. It does not require special devices for application and dries quickly enough. Apply it in at least 4 layers. It is possible to exclude the acquisition of primer solutions, since the first layer of pentaphthalic varnish will act as a primer. After application of the composition and its complete drying, sanding should be done.
After you have decided on the choice of the restoration composition, you need to pay attention to such a moment as the definition of color. You can use a colorless varnish, or you can purchase a varnish that imitates the color of any wood. In the second case, it is necessary to correctly determine the tone of the varnish.
Here are detailed instructions that will answer the question of how to properly varnish a wooden table. It consists of several stages:
- The preparatory stage consists of the following aspects:
- the surface of the table is thoroughly cleaned using a specialized compound or using ordinary warm water;
- remove the damaged layer with a scraper;
- start sanding the surface with sandpaper until matte is achieved;
- we clean the surface of dust.
- Water-based varnish application:
- the surface is covered with several layers of water-based varnish;
- each subsequent layer is applied after the previous one has completely dried;
- after the last layer is completely dry, we sand the surface;
- we clean the surface of dust.
- Performing work with acrylic-based varnish:
- initially we choose a varnish that suits the surface of the table in shade and shine;
- diluting the varnish by 15% with white spirit, priming the surface;
- after the primer layer has dried, we perform intermediate grinding;
- cover the table surface with undiluted varnish in several layers, letting the previous layer dry beforehand;
- we make a finishing surface grinding.
- Please note that after applying all the layers to give the surface a glossy shine, the surface should be sanded.
By following all the recommendations, you can get a very high quality varnished surface. It is clear that you should use a spray gun to get a decent quality. Below is a video on table varnishing and helpful tips for restoration.