2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-24 22:24
- Designing a country house
- Advantages of laminated veneer lumber
- Engineering systems
- Finishing and arrangement
When building your own home, everyone wants to get a home in which there would be the most cozy and comfortable atmosphere. To get such a house, you need to invest in it significant financial resources.
But no matter what the building will be, costs can be significantly reduced. And for this, there is absolutely no need to purchase the cheapest materials or save on professional workers. So how can you save money without sacrificing quality and comfort?
First of all, you need to choose the right building material. The modern market is literally overwhelmed with such products. But despite the wide choice, attention should be paid to such a practical option as glued laminated timber. Using an integrated approach and knowing all the intricacies of construction using this material, this choice will significantly reduce costs.
Designing a country house
Competent design plays an equally important role in budget optimization. It greatly simplifies construction, and without any damage to the quality, comfort and other characteristics of the house. For example, a building with a square shape will cost less than a similar in area, but elongated structure.
Spacious rooms and the formation of one large space from several small ones are cheaper than a large number of small rooms. It is also worth considering here such a parameter as expediency: if the family is large, then several bedrooms will be appropriate, but if there are two or three people in it, then so many rooms are completely unnecessary.
As experts recommend, when designing a house made of laminated veneer lumber, it is advisable to combine the living room, dining room and hall into one space. This is a modern and very effective technique that allows you to save money and get a spacious room. In detail about different variants of houses made of laminated veneer lumber.
Advantages of laminated veneer lumber
Houses built using this material do not require a massive foundation. And this is already saving on construction equipment, labor costs and materials. The natural texture of the wood used for the manufacture of laminated veneer lumber eliminates the need for interior and exterior finishing. Since natural wood does not conduct heat well, there is no need to spend money on house insulation from laminated veneer lumber. You can also save on additional heating devices.
It is possible to carry out engineering work in a log house immediately after the construction of the box, which cannot be said about brick structures or buildings made of rounded logs, which require a certain time for shrinkage.
The efficiency of building a house using laminated veneer lumber is also important. This advantage allows you to save a lot of time, and time, as you know, is also money.
The timber production process includes several steps. The most popular material for these products is spruce and pine wood, less often cedar and larch are used. First, boards of the desired size are made from the logs and subjected to thorough drying, which does not take much time compared to the drying process of solid timber. If the boards have any damage or flaws, they are removed and treated with antimicrobial antiseptics and special impregnation to reduce flammability (fire retardants). The production of timber takes place on special presses by gluing such well-sorted boards (they are called lamellas).
To make the timber moderately thick, you need 2 to 5 lamellas. The optimal size of its width is 25 cm. For the gluing process that meets the international standard, special waterproof adhesives are used, which not only give the timber strength, but also allow the wood to "breathe". In the manufacture of timber, the direction of the wood grain relative to the age rings in the lamellas is located on opposite sides, therefore the glued structure is more durable compared to a solid block. It is also distinguished by increased soundproofing, and when the humidity increases, the glued material does not deform.
Glued timber is used in the construction of a wooden house in almost all of its structures: for roof ceilings, rafters, wall beams, profiled curved beams for houses with rounded shapes. Compared to solid wood, the glued material has a wide range of advantages. Let's consider the main ones:
- blanks for timber are selected according to texture and color, all visible defects are removed before the gluing process, therefore the surface quality is very high with a presentable appearance;
- laminated timber material has greater strength in relation to solid timber (by 50-70%);
- over time, the shape of this structure does not change, it does not deform from any external influences, does not shrink, because in this type of wood there is no internal stress and its components are thoroughly dried before the gluing process $
- a wooden dwelling made of laminated veneer lumber has a high quality thermal performance. Therefore, the cost of expensive heating equipment, its operation and transportation of fuels are significantly reduced. During construction, such structures are so tightly joined to each other that there is no need to use insulation between them. Rain drops or snow are also not available for such beams, and this reliably protects the building from the occurrence of decay processes and other lesions.
- if glued laminated timber is made according to all technological rules, then its surface is smooth, even, without roughness, therefore, the building wall looks indivisible. A house made of such material does not need external decoration;
- erection of structures made of solid wood takes much longer than erection of buildings made of laminated veneer lumber, since it is manufactured using the latest technologies in the factory at a certain temperature and established according to humidity standards. Installation of the structure on the finished foundation is done quickly enough and does not require any additional costs. The shrinkage of a house made of such material does not exceed 1%. (For comparison: the shrinkage of a building made of non-planed or profiled timber exceeds 7%). With such a minimum degree of this quality, it is possible not only to build these structures all year round, but also to install doors and windows of various parameters in the house, and to carry out finishing work in a timely manner;
- the admissibility of the wiring of engineering and communal communications by a hidden method;
- no additional finishing is required for the walls of the house, because the timber is almost a ready-made material for the facade;
- other finishing materials are “friendly” with glued structures. They are excellently treated with wax, varnish, paint and, with proper care, have an optimal service life.
In our time, social and individual construction is developing at an accelerated pace. Glued timber occupies one of the most important places in the long list of building materials offered to choose from, because it is widely available and inexpensive, and this makes this material very popular among different segments of the population.
On average, it is possible to reduce costs by a third if a house made of glued beams is built near the main communications. The advantage of this option is that you can easily and quickly connect to all necessary systems.
When choosing a heating system for a log house, you need to take into account that the purchase of gas equipment will cost more than electrical equipment. But further exploitation of the former will be much cheaper. A building made of natural wood also does not require large heating costs.
Finishing and arrangement
Having made the decision to build a house using laminated veneer lumber, the item of expenses called "finishing" can be immediately excluded. This wonderful material has excellent aesthetic properties, so there is absolutely no need to finish it. Thanks to a special production technology, a material is obtained that has a flat and smooth surface that does not require leveling.
If in a house made of laminated veneer lumber you want to change something in terms of design, then the savings here will be tangible. For example, in order to give the walls one or another shade, you just need to choose the right varnish or tint impregnating composition. The use of such materials is very inexpensive.
If you want to radically transform the house in terms of colors, you can use drywall. It is an inexpensive, versatile and environmentally friendly material, the installation of which does not require the use of building mixtures.
In the end, it should be added that in order to obtain the optimal ratio of quality and economy, it is advisable to entrust the construction of a log house to a reliable company specializing in the construction of such structures. There are quite a few organizations of this type today, and each of them provides a full range of services - from project development and design selection to cleaning and garbage collection.
In the construction industry, the use of laminated veneer lumber has significantly increased. This material has proven itself well in the construction of hangars, water parks, sports grounds, warehouses, shopping and entertainment complexes, that is, structures with large spans. It is widely used in individual construction.