2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-24 22:24
- Tile features
- Advantages and disadvantages of laminate
- What to choose on the floor in the kitchen tiles or laminate?
- Quality indicators
- Ideal characteristics for tiles in the kitchen or corridor
- Important characteristics
- Size and shape
- Color and texture
- Interior design options
Quite often, people wonder which tile or laminate is better, since the choice of material for covering the floor is a very important factor when carrying out repair work. This is primarily due to the operational requirements for the surface of a particular room. In particular, we will talk about rooms such as the kitchen and the corridor, and yet we will decide which coating is better and how to choose it correctly.
To begin with, we will consider the features of each material, and its compliance with a certain room, in our case the kitchen and the corridor. Let's start with the tiles. First of all, let's talk about its advantages:
- Durability of the coating.
- Ease of care and operation.
- Large selection of design solutions.
- Moisture resistance.
- Wear resistance.
- Environmental Safety.
- Low current conductivity.
- Inertia and fire safety.
And also some disadvantages of tiles should be noted:
- First of all, the coldness of the material, which is solved only by providing a warm floor system, respectively, additional costs are required for work, as well as electricity.
- Relatively high material cost.
On this, the main disadvantages can be considered over. In addition, it should be noted that, in comparison with laminate, tiles, although they will cost more, will last a little longer. However, due to its first drawback, laying in large rooms, living rooms, bedrooms, children's rooms is not recommended.
Advantages and disadvantages of laminate
And the second element in the controversial issue is the laminate. Now it is necessary to consider all its characteristics for a full understanding. Among the advantages of such a coating:
- Attractive appearance (which can also be said about tiles).
- Easy to install.
- Low material cost.
- Good stiffness and density.
- The ability to simulate the coating of any material.
- Wear resistance.
- Unpretentious care and maintenance.
- Resistance to mechanical stress.
- The warmth of the material.
And now, accordingly, let's move on to the shortcomings of the material:
- In case of improper installation or an error in the production process, it is possible that the material starts crumbling, which leads to rapid wear and, accordingly, significantly reduces the service life.
- Additional moisture protection required.
- In the case of using a natural product made of expensive wood, and not a laminated coating, treatment with protective compounds will be required to increase moisture resistance after installation.
What to choose on the floor in the kitchen tiles or laminate?
And back to the main question, which is better for a tile or laminate floor. And there are already a number of factors on which your choice will depend. The need and the budget become the main ones. But when comparing materials, the following should be noted:
- Tile material is more durable than laminate, albeit more expensive.
- Even considering the fact that the laminate is waterproof, it is damaged if flooded and the flooring can be completely damaged. At the same time, water is not at all terrible for tiles, the surface does not undergo any changes or damage.
In this case, the only thing that speaks in favor of the laminate is thermal conductivity. Tile material is cold, while laminate is warmer. But due to its superiority in performance, it is best to use tiles for wet rooms, since it will last longer, and in general, in this case, it is better for the kitchen.
And now that we have decided that for a kitchen, corridor and even a bathroom with a toilet, tiles are becoming the best option for flooring, we should ask ourselves which ceramic tiles to choose and what to look for.
To begin with, no matter what tile in the corridor you choose, first of all you need to pay attention to its marking, which almost completely tells about the material itself. It usually indicates the following technical characteristics of the material:
- PEI - this indicator indicates the level of wear resistance of the material. The score on this scale can vary from 1 to 5, in fact, to cover the floor in the kitchen, an indicator of 3 is required.
- Also on the packaging is indicated the indicator of moisture resistance, which is important when it comes to which ceramic tiles to choose for the bathroom.
- The next indicator is the size of the tiles.
- It is also worth considering resistance to various kinds of effects of chemical elements, in this case there is a classification from D to AA, the minimum and maximum levels, respectively.
- It is worth paying attention to the way in which the tile was produced. There can be two options, pressing and extrusion, denoted by the letters B and A, respectively.
- The level of hardness of the tiles, which is indicated by an assessment on the MEP scale in points from 1 to 10.
- The type of tile, respectively, the higher it is, the better.
It is also worth paying attention to the following indicators, which may be indicated on the packaging (see the table below)
A little advice! Never skimp on tiles by buying low-grade products. Firstly, it will be needed more, since in such products there are up to a quarter of scrap materials. Secondly, it is less durable. Thus, in the long run, you will spend significantly more money than buying a quality tile initially. Therefore, when deciding which is the best tile in the hallway to choose, consider only high-quality and beautiful options, so that you can admire it for many years later.
Ideal characteristics for tiles in the kitchen or corridor
It doesn't matter what kind of tile you choose in the corridor or kitchen, the main requirements for any type are performance characteristics, and the following are the ideal options:
- Wear resistance on a PEI scale of 3, preferably 4 or 5.
- The level of moisture resistance is at least 3%.
- Friction coefficient no more than 0.75%.
- If you raise the question of which tile manufacturer to choose, then these should be the countries of Spain or Italy.
- First grade of tiles.
- Size or shape according to personal preference.
In addition, speaking about which ceramic tile is better, you should not immediately pay attention only to the technical characteristics, and choose the material for the inflated requirements. First of all, you will not personally notice much difference, and the cost in this case is much older. Therefore, the best choice is a tile of average indicators, without raising the level of requirements (unless, of course, you regret spending twice as much money, then no one can forbid you).
Speaking about which tiles are of high quality, it is worth considering not only the signs on the packaging, but also the advice of the seller's consultant, it is important not to forget about this.
A good tile has the correct geometry, but we recommend that you attach two tiles face-to-face to each other before purchasing, this will determine the flatness of the surface.
There are several factors to consider when choosing a tile.
Size and shape
Floor tiles for the kitchen and hallway can be varied in size and shape. Considering the standard sizes, we can distinguish 20 × 20, 20 × 25, 20 × 30 and 30 × 30. In addition, larger tiles should be noted, in particular, 40 × 40, 60 × 100 and 70 × 120 centimeters.
Speaking directly about the shape, the most popular option is a square and a rectangle, with any aspect ratio. Directly laying tiles in the form of oblong sticks is extremely rare, the more popular ratio is 1 to 2 or 1 to 3. More details about the methods of laying tiles on the floor.
Color and texture
Speaking about which tile is better when choosing a color and texture, you can come across a wide range of products. Moreover, each of the types is significantly different in color, textured solution and even shape.
An important factor is the choice of grout.
But, when making your choice, you should clearly determine which tile is suitable for the kitchen, for which the following recommendations must be taken into account:
- Firstly, the tiles must have a rough surface, which reduces the level of slip. But at the same time, the roughness should not be very textured and deep, since in this case dust will accumulate in the tiles.
- It is better to give preference to glazed tiles, since they have a higher level of moisture resistance and are somewhat stronger in themselves.
- Also, before deciding which tile to choose in the hallway, you should clearly define the color. Its choice depends on the general interior of the room. In most cases, it is better to give preference to light colors. In this case, you can use not only tiles, but also porcelain stoneware.
- Speaking a little about colors, we note that light floors allow you to visually expand the space. At the same time, dark floors emphasize the size of the room, and therefore their use is allowed only in spacious rooms, and in addition, they require the presence of light colors in other design and decor elements.
- As you know, black and white colors are quite easily soiled, but we note that the combination of these materials, when laid in the form of a checkerboard field, remains the most popular option. Especially when it comes to which tiles are best to put in the corridor.
- It should also be said that the most successful design option is the use of gray, beige and brown, especially their combinations.
- In addition, while the glossy surface is more durable, the matte surface is more practical. This is due to the fact that dust, dirt and mechanical damage are less visible on it.
- The use of imitation of natural stone is also becoming a good option. This variation works well when creating a classic style.
- Also, tiles for the kitchen on the floor under the laminate or natural wood are very popular. This solution is suitable for any design and is universal.
- If it is necessary to visually reduce the room, and in addition to make it a little more comfortable, it is recommended to use a small tile with a repeating ornament, preferably in light shades.
- Considering which tile color to choose for the kitchen, it is worth paying attention to the area itself; for large rooms, bright colors are used or dark ones, otherwise light ones. Therefore, before deciding which tile to choose in the corridor, ask yourself the question of lighting.
As it became noticeable, in the question of which tile to choose, it is the color and texture that plays an important role, which depends on the room itself, its design and conditions.
Interior design options
It should be noted that the choice of flooring colors depends directly on the interior of the room, in addition to the presence of windows and their direction. For example, in solving the problem of which tiles to put in the corridor on the floor, you should pay attention to the presence of windows, if they are not there, or are directed to the north, then light colors should be used. In the case of good lighting and windows facing south or east, you can think about choosing a dark coating.
The next factor that affects which tile to choose on the floor in the hallway or kitchen is the area of the room. Speaking of large areas, it is worth noting that laying larger tiles would be rational.
At the same time, in the case of small corridors and kitchens, you should pay attention to the tiles of smaller dimensions and light colors.
The method of installation, which is chosen according to one's own preference, is also becoming important, but, undoubtedly, greatly affects the overall appearance of the interior.
Advice! To arrange a room so that it does not look boring and monotonous, it is recommended to combine a small tile with a larger tile. A kind of small inserts are made in the center, or they are distributed over the entire area.
After considering all the tips and tricks, we decided that the best covering for the kitchen and corridor is the tile. In addition, we figured out which tiles to put in the hallway and in the kitchen. And to consolidate the studied material, we suggest you watch several videos about which tile to choose.