2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- Advantages and disadvantages of coating
- Features of laying tiles
- Preparation for work
- Laying tiles on plywood with your own hands
- The working process
- What you need to know about laying tiles on plywood
Without fail, the tiles are laid on a prepared base. In its role is the floor or wall, which must be leveled beforehand. It should be noted that today there are quite a few leveling methods, and one of them is plywood laying. Thus, laying tiles on plywood, and in fairness, the technology of this process, becomes an urgent issue.
Advantages and disadvantages of coating
First of all, before proceeding with the technology of laying tiles on plywood, you should make out the advantages and disadvantages of such a coating, in comparison with more laborious and expensive methods of leveling the floor, for example, a screed (we recommend reading in more detail about leveling the floor with a screed) …
Let's start with the advantages:
- The first is the low cost of such coverage.
- You can also note the speed of installation. Which requires less effort and time.
- The next advantage is the absence of construction waste.
- The load on the floor is significantly reduced in contrast to the screed.
- The plywood cladding itself is quite durable and strong.
But don't forget about the disadvantages:
- First of all, you need to choose the right type of material, which is sometimes quite difficult. Thus, for work, you will need plywood sheets of at least 2.2 centimeters.
- For rooms with a very high level of humidity, it will be necessary to provide additional waterproofing, respectively, this increases the cost of the coating.
- And the last is a strict ban on the arrangement of the "warm floor" system.
That is why this technology is rarely used. Although it can be quite good for arranging floors in a kitchen or hallway. In general, in those rooms where repairs are required as quickly as possible, and it is desirable to litter as little as possible.
Features of laying tiles
The first question that frequency arises is whether it is possible to put tiles on plywood. And all the experts answer it only yes. Of course, as with any other styling, in this case there are a number of difficulties. Therefore, it can be immediately noted that the process of such laying of tiles on plywood is quite laborious and must be approached responsibly.
It should be noted that plywood is subdivided into moisture resistant and ordinary plywood which is not suitable for wet work.
First of all, you will need a thorough surface preparation. This is largely due to the characteristics of the tile, and in particular to the fact that its weight is much higher than that of other types of coating. That is why you should check the surface for strength. Plywood itself can in no way be of low strength.
The ideal option, of course, would be laying tiles on gypsum fiber board sheets, which have moisture resistant properties and less mobility.
It is even possible to use OSB sheets for laying tiles, which are better suited and, in view of their structure, will serve as a solid foundation.
Detailed information on leveling the OSB floor by logs
In addition, as mentioned earlier, the thickness of the sheets must be at least 22 millimeters.
Each of the sheets must be securely fastened and pressed against the base. Otherwise, if any deflections or distortions are observed, then the coating will last quite a bit.
When laying plywood on logs, it is necessary to ensure a step of no more than 30 centimeters. If the value is higher, redesign the structure.
And regarding the lag, it should be noted that in this situation, the thickness of the sheets should not be less than three centimeters.
Preparation for work
Before starting work, you must carefully prepare, check the availability of all the necessary materials and tools.
Also calculate the adhesive mixture and the number of tiles. In the case of tiles, consider the area of the room, the size of the joints and the size of the tiles themselves. In addition, the presence of a pattern and a method of styling. For the calculation, you can use the tile adhesive calculator on our website.
Speaking about the glue mixture, its amount should be calculated based on the consumption indicated on the package, you can find out how to choose the glue mixture and calculate its amount in a separate article.
Directly for the work, you will need the following tools and materials:
- Plywood sander.
- Waterproofing material (mainly foil).
- Special glue if necessary.
- Also, for marking, a ruler, pencil and tape measure.
- Self-tapping screws.
- Adhesive mixture for tiles.
- Grout and crosses.
Then the surface is sanded and cleaned. The tightness is checked. If necessary, additional fastening with self-tapping screws is provided. There must be absolutely no gaps or deflections of the sheets.
Upon completion of the test, it is necessary to prime the surface. Usually the primer is applied in several layers (2-3). Each of them must dry completely, which, depending on the type of primer, takes from 5 to 12 hours.
Laying tiles on plywood with your own hands
Let's dwell a little on the recommendations for the choice of glue, after which we will go directly to the question of how to put tiles on plywood.
In this case, it is recommended to use adhesive mixtures, which are distinguished by an increased level of elasticity since wood is a mobile material. It is in this situation that such a mixture is most optimal, since plywood can transform somewhat under the load from the tile. And besides, such material does not tolerate moisture and temperature extremes.
The best option is polyurethane glue, which is often used when laying parquet flooring. It is this mixture that will be most effective.
Another advantage is that you can walk on such a surface within an hour. That is due to the short setting time.
Silane-based blends are another good option. This glue is recommended for use in damp rooms, since it adheres easily even when exposed to moisture. At the same time, the same moisture is completely removed from the surface.
Thanks to the use of this type of mixture, the tiles will fit perfectly, and the seams will be flexible and elastic, which is very important.
The working process
Having finished with the preparation, you can go directly to the question of how to put tiles on plywood on the floor. This process is carried out using the following technology:
- Tiling on a plywood floor starts from the corner of the room. The first tile is laid whole, the adhesive mixture is applied in an even layer both on the surface of the base and on the tile.
- As with normal laying, whole sections are laid out first, and lastly the cut pieces (for more details on how to put the tiles on the floor).
- Note that the maximum coverage area at a time should not exceed a square meter.
- The glue is applied with a notched trowel. Then the tile is pressed tightly to the base. Further, it is leveled and adhered for several minutes, until the mortar sets.
- The installation of subsequent elements is also carried out when laying tiles on plywood on the floor.
To create seams, special crosses are used that help to make them the same (we recommend that you familiarize yourself in more detail with the question of crosses and seam thickness).
- Upon completion of the laying of the whole sections, the cutting and laying of the remaining pieces are carried out.
- The next process, in the case of passing pipes, or considering the issue of how to put tiles on plywood on the wall, prepares holes for communication systems, switches, etc. (More details on how to drill tiles).
- And lastly, grouting is carried out. And here the choice of grout and its application becomes an important issue.
This completes the installation, and you can admire the results of your labors.
What you need to know about laying tiles on plywood
And finally, consider a number of tips and tricks that will be good helpers, especially for novice tilers:
- In order to be able to lay tiles on plywood, its thickness must be at least 2.2 cm, it is possible to use several layers, otherwise the coating will not support the weight of the tiles.
- It is recommended to provide additional fixation with self-tapping screws for better adhesion of the coating.
- Before tiling, be sure to use a strong primer to help ensure the stability of the plywood.
- When working, be sure to use the building level. In addition, the installation itself is recommended to start from the farthest corner from the door.
- Care must be taken to ensure that all seams are the same size. For this, crosses or special systems for laying tiles are used.
- At the end of the work, the selection of grout and its implementation becomes an important factor, since it is she who has the greatest impact on the appearance of the coating.
On this, the question of how to put floor tiles on plywood can be considered closed. By strictly following the instructions and recommendations, you will be able to do the styling yourself. And for a better understanding of the topic, we recommend that you familiarize yourself with the video materials presented below.
The article was specially written for the site
Plywood is the best rough subfloor
Simple technology, how to put new tiles on old ones using betokontakt and other effective methods of laying bathroom tiles on old tiles
How To Put Tiles In The Bathroom On The Floor And Walls Correctly, Video. Do-it-yourself Ceramic And Tiled Tile Laying Technology
A detailed video review on laying tiles on the floor with your own hands, tips and instructions from tiling specialists will help you lay tiles quickly and efficiently
Finding And Repairing Damage To The Roof Tiles Made Of Ceramic Or Sand-cement Tiles - How To Do It Yourself
Repair of a tiled roof of a house yourself, stages of roof restoration. Replacement of elements, repair of roof waterproofing and rafter reinforcement. Elimination of damage and leaking roofing
Tips For Laying Ceramic Tiles On Walls And Floors. Advantages Of Ceramic Tiles, Tips For Choosing, Secrets. Surface Preparation For Tiles
Tabletop tips for laying ceramic tiles, the secrets of craftsmanship. Getting ready for tiling: 5 useful tips The advantages of ceramic tiles are obvious: being one of the most ancient materials used in decoration, tiles are an environmentally friendly product, durable, unpretentious in maintenance, waterproof, relatively inexpensive, presented in a large assortment. Consider a few tips for tiling with ceramic tiles, advantages, tips for choosing how to cut correctly