2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-24 22:24
- What kind of tile to soak
- What is the tile made of
- Tile thickness
- Pollution degree
- Glazed coating
- Floor or wall installation
- Exceptions to the rule
- What water to use
Today, tile is a fairly well-studied material, but still many have questions about it. For example, should the tiles be soaked before laying or not? It is to this rather versatile question that we will answer further. To begin with, look at the box, maybe there is something written about this, if not, then read on, we will consider all the features and characteristics that will help find the answer to this difficult question.
What kind of tile to soak
First of all, the material from which it is made affects whether to wet the tiles before laying or not. Let's look at each of the options and answer the question. It is important to pay attention to the tile adhesive and the thickness of the comb.
What is the tile made of
The first and most popular option is ceramic tiles. It, in turn, is divided into types, depending on the material of production:
- Red clay.
- White clay.
- Porcelain stoneware.
Each of these types must be treated differently. For example, old red clay tiles need to be soaked because this gives them strength.
Generally speaking, provided that the material is made by a single firing, while glazed, soaking is required for the first two types, that is, for materials made of white and red clay. But in the case when two-component glue is used, such processing is not provided.
- If the thickness of the tiles is less than 1 centimeter, then the question of wetting the tiles before laying or not becomes more difficult. More precisely, it must be rinsed just before you put it. But there is no need to soak.
- And in the case of thick tiles, vice versa. But do not forget about the fact that the drying time of the solution increases because of this.
- You do not need to soak porcelain stoneware tiles.
There are also a number of factors that indicate whether or not to soak the tiles before laying. First you need to understand that the tile is considered a conditionally clean material:
- Most of its storage takes place in open areas or in large warehouses.
- The material is transported a lot, it lies for a long time in dusty rooms.
And now try to answer yourself, do you need to wet the tiles before laying or not? In this case, we are talking about minimal cleaning from debris and dust.
The material must be rinsed.
In this case, the tile is washed with running water. Elementary, you can take a tile and substitute it under a stream of tap water, which will be quite enough. After that, styling begins immediately.
You should not wait for the material to dry.
It is worth noting that often, as a result of a small amount of water in the adhesive mixture, the installation is carried out poorly. It is in such cases that the wetted tile is most suitable.
Another factor that determines the need to soak the tiles or contraindications to this event is the glaze. Some types of such coatings can behave quite unpredictably. The point is that this coating does not allow moisture to be absorbed into the tile from the outside, but on the reverse side, on the contrary, it does not allow moisture to evaporate.
Thus, if the material is very thin, then after soaking and laying on the surface of the tile, stains may form under the glaze, which cannot be removed. Therefore, before soaking the glazed tile, take a sample of it and soak it, then put it on the glue and check its condition after a few days.
- In the event that stains do not appear, then you can soak the entire tile and then proceed with its installation.
- Otherwise, the maximum that can be done is to wash the material before laying.
Floor or wall installation
With the fact that the tile can be soaked it became clear. This is done so that the tiles can be easily moved and aligned during installation. But there is one more nuance: in the case when a dry layout is done, while modern devices are used and a level is set for laying tiles, such an advantage is not needed in principle. Even so, depending on the tile used, it can be wetted.
In the case of porcelain stoneware, you can simply moisten the tiles and wipe them off dust. This will be enough. In this case, cleaning is carried out with a damp sponge. Note that the sponge should be rinsed after each tile. And besides, in the case of thin tiles, it should be wiped using the same technology, but for thick tiles it is better to soak.
Considering what is needed for laying tiles, in particular porcelain stoneware, a sufficient amount of adhesive mixture becomes an important factor. In this case, the glue must be of the correct consistency. Otherwise, the tiles will float and fall off.
Exceptions to the rule
At the same time, there are several exceptions to the rule, in particular:
- You cannot soak the tiles before cutting, otherwise it will not be possible to cut the desired fragment smoothly and clearly.
- In addition, when laying tiles on silicone glue, mastic or liquid nails, the material also does not soak.
What water to use
Another important question is what kind of water to use. It is also worth paying attention to the consequences of using dirty water.
Basic requirements for the water used:
- The use of dirty water, liquid from reservoirs or spillways is strictly prohibited. Its use can lead to bacterial contamination, and subsequently the destruction of tiles and walls. Mold and mildew will also form.
- The water must be clean, artesian.
- The container in which the soaking will be carried out must also be washed.
- Do not use detergents, in particular washing powder. When dry, such a component forms a film on the tile surface, which causes poor adhesion.
If the work is carried out by a team of construction workers, they also need to provide access to clean water. Remember that you need this first of all, because the condition of your home will depend on the results of your work.
Also, do not forget that when laying, you also need to worry about the cleanliness of the base, as well as its preparation, otherwise the preparation of the tile will not bring much benefit.
And in conclusion, let's summarize. As we can see, experts know what to do, but for beginners, careful guidance is needed. Here it is necessary to take into account the principle of wet cleaning, which young masters often forget about. And we also offer you to watch several videos that will help you understand the topic of the article in more detail.