2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- Basic structures of gutters
- Plastic gutters and their characteristics
- Pros and cons of plastic gutters
- Classification of metal gutters, their advantages
- How not to make the wrong choice?
When designing a private house, you should pay attention to the drain, this important element performs the necessary function - it removes storm water and moisture flowing from the roof. If you choose the wrong gutter and install it incorrectly, water will go into the ground, which threatens to flood the foundation. Today in the construction market, consumers are offered plastic and metal gutters, and in order to make the right choice, it is necessary to find out all the pros and cons of various models of gutters.
Basic structures of gutters
The main task of the drainage system is the external protection of the walls and basement of a private house from moisture. Structurally, any gutter consists of the following parts:
- drain pipe;
The system works according to this principle: water from the roof enters the gutter, and then into the funnels. Moving down the drain, the water flows down into a drain, large barrel, or sewer. The drainage system is fixed on the walls of the house and most often it is installed in the corners.
Plastic gutters and their characteristics
Plastic gutters are great for roofs of various difficulty levels. For the production of parts of such a system, polyvinyl chloride is used. Special stabilizers and dyes are added to this material, which will further protect the product from exposure to ultraviolet radiation and temperature drops, and add wear resistance.
Plastic gutters have gained wide popularity due to their availability. In addition, the products are guaranteed for up to 25 years. Most developers choose plastic gutters because of the variety of colors combined with good technical performance.
The assembly of such a drain is quite simple: using fittings and fasteners, the product is assembled as a constructor. Everything can be done manually without using a soldering machine. All transitions and corners are fixed either with a sealant or using special rubber seals.
Due to the fact that this material is not able to withstand too heavy loads, it is recommended to install the gutter holders with a small distance from each other. Most consumers prefer brown, silver and copper plastic gutters.
Pros and cons of plastic gutters
Having dealt with the design features of the plastic drainage system, it is worth considering the list of advantages of such products:
- Light weight, thanks to which additional structural reinforcement is not required. Such a drain will not exert additional stress on the roof frame;
- Long service life. Plastic has properties that make metal products last longer;
- The lack of tendency to corrosion means that the device can constantly contact with water;
- The high speed and ease of assembly of the structure will allow you to mount the system yourself;
- Reduced noise transmission. Unlike a metal gutter, when using plastic systems, you will not hear the noise from water droplets falling on the product;
- Maintenance free. The technical indicators of the plastic are easy to clean, it will be enough to rinse the drain with a hose;
- All seams and joints have a high tightness that protects against leaks.
Among the minor disadvantages can be called low resistance to mechanical shock and damage. Careful use will keep the original appearance of the plastic gutter for a long time.
Classification of metal gutters, their advantages
Metal items are classics. Even after the availability of affordable options for plastic gutters on the market, many builders still prefer metal options. Some developers believe that proper operation of the drainage system can only be achieved if metal structural elements are used in it.
Metal gutters are made from materials such as aluminum, copper, galvanized steel, steel with polymers, titanium and zinc. Let's consider each type in more detail:
- Aluminum products are lightweight and outperform other materials due to this indicator. The walls of the gutter made of aluminum are made thick, which allows it to withstand heavy loads and not deform. Such products are resistant to corrosion and damage, because they are covered with a special protective film.
- Copper gutters have high strength and resistance to destructive effects. From these data, the high cost of the product is formed. In addition, copper gutters can last about 100 years.
- Steel galvanized water drainage systems are cheaper than plastic products, and their service life is about 15 years. Galvanized gutters are considered obsolete and subject to corrosion and rust.
- Gutters made of steel with polymers - metal-plastic, serve faithfully for about 50 years of use. The top of the steel is covered with a polymer substance that protects the material from damage and temperature extremes. The color variety of such gutters is very great.
Zinc and titanium gutters are also expensive. This is due to the durability and increased plasticity of materials.
How not to make the wrong choice?
You need to approach the choice correctly, taking into account all the features of the existing structure. Pay attention to these criteria:
- Cost. Available options will be plastic products, as well as options for gutters made of galvanized steel. Copper, titanium and zinc systems are themselves costly;
- The diameter of the drain. This indicator varies from 50 to 150 mm. It is necessary to choose the diameter according to the slope of the roof slope: the steeper it is, the wider the diameter of the drain should be;
- Roof type. If the roof is made of bitumen or ceramic, choose a plastic gutter. For roofing made of metal tiles and corrugated board, only metal products are suitable;
- Weight. Remember that a reliable truss structure is needed to secure metal gutters;
- Climate. Depending on the construction site, a drain is selected that can withstand certain temperatures.
The final choice of the drain always remains with the owner of the house. The quality of the product is tested by time. To purchase a reliable drain, read reviews of the goods offered in stores, and also choose only trusted manufacturers, details on the website
Consider how best and how to insulate the roof. Instructions and training video on the arrangement of attic insulation. What is important to know about insulation and its use in wooden houses
Installation of wooden roofs Installation of wooden roofs, as a rule, is carried out using milled boards with a maximum thickness of 2-2
How To Choose Plastic Windows Correctly. What Is Better To Buy PVC Windows, Profile Slidors (slidors)
Ways to decide on the choice of plastic windows important tips which are better to buy PVC windows and choosing window frames made of plastic, by different companies
Do-it-yourself roof repair of a house roof After a certain time, even the most durable roof becomes unusable and you have to change either the entire covering or some fragments of the roof. Often, during the cleaning of the roof from ice and snow, the roofing is damaged: clamps and nails fly out, deep scratches and even cracks appear on the surface. As a result, moisture entering the potholes causes corrosion of the roofing material and a violation of the temperature inside the building
What roof structure to choose for the house and what are the differences. Choosing a reliable roof depending on the shape of the house