2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-24 22:24
- Preparatory activities
- Tools and materials
- Making an inner corner
- Stages of work
- Using trims
- End trimming
- Elimination of defects
- Useful Tips
When repairs begin in an apartment, no matter what kind of room is being changed, you need to think about how to lay tiles on the walls and floor. This is especially true of the rules for placing tiles in the corners, so that the appearance and attractiveness of the whole room is preserved. For this, there are several options, which leads to the preparatory work.
Before making a corner with tiles, you should think about carefully preparing the walls and floor themselves.
They are pre-aligned so that the material does not peel off within a short time.
- Another possible defect in laying ceramic tiles on an uneven base is a poorly executed outer or inner corner.
- In addition, the surface at the time of work must be not only dry, but also clean.
- It is important to check the horizontalness of the floor, the verticality of the walls. This is done after the old cover has been removed.
- If we are talking about walls, then a plumb line is used in the form of the selected version of the load attached to the threads.
A large number of tools can be used to measure the angle:
- For horizontalness, a building or water level is used. Everything will depend on the preferences of the artist.
- There is also a laser level, but its cost is very high to be used in a one-time job.
If these works are not completed before laying the tiles, later gaps will form in the corners, spoiling the whole picture.
On the cleaned surface, a layer of waterproofing is first applied in the form of a coating mastic, after which a primer is applied. If there are even minor defects, they should initially be repaired with putty. To create a flat surface on the base of the floor is poured:
- cement-sand screed;
- self-leveling mixture.
It is also impossible to forget about waterproofing and a layer of primer here.
Tools and materials
In the process of performing work on finishing walls and floors in the room with tiles, there will be little material itself. You will also need the following list:
- Special glue (if tiles are laid in corners in rooms with high humidity, for example, a bathroom, a water-repellent glue is purchased).
- Spatula with teeth.
- Crosses that allow you to correctly and evenly join tile elements together. Their thickness is selected individually, taking into account the created distance.
- Finishing profiles (eg plastic or ceramic corner).
The building level for even distribution of tiles on the surface, as well as the tile cutter necessary for creating even corners, both external and internal.
It is important at this stage to find out the exact number of tiles required for work. In this case, the tile seam between the elements is taken into account, which is usually 3-5 mm, the "red" place (in sight) is determined, to which increased requirements are imposed due to constant attention from the entrance.
Making an inner corner
If you need to work with corners on the walls, then everything should start from the "red" place. There are several nuances:
- The tiles must be laid on adjacent sides and strictly symmetrical.
- If tile trims are used, they must be identical in size and parameters.
- When a special tile cutter is used, it already has such a function as determining the exact distance for cutting tiles. If the tool is not available, then you will have to calculate everything yourself.
Stages of work
- The start of work is carried out from the floor in the room. Initially, the selected version of the glue is applied to the wall, occupying approximately 1 square meter. A special spatula will allow you to distribute it evenly over the entire plane.
- One tile after another is glued.
- You can achieve an even seam in various ways, one of which is the insertion of special crosses.
- When the first row is ready, it should be checked using a building level. In this case, when docked with the opposite wall, the tile is cut to the required length, after which it is attached to the wall.
At the start of tiling on an adjacent wall, you can use the rest of the tiles from the first row. It will be more problematic to choose the right drawing. The main thing is to combine them with each other, not forgetting about the tile seam at the joint. If there is a 2 mm gap left after overlapping tiles, we get a curved feeling. Maintain attractiveness and appearance.
The outer or inner corner of the tile can be made with high quality using a decorative profile called trims.
It is selected taking into account the color scheme of the tile. Can be made of plastic or metal (metal corners for tiles).
- L-shaped trims should be purchased if the outer corner is performed.
- Internal - concave trims.
The latter option is most often still used when moving from wall to floor (plinth). Their field of application is very wide. The main thing is to choose the right option for execution.
In addition to their main function, trims can protect against external mechanical stress.
Consequently, the service life of the laid tiles will increase slightly. The work is carried out very simply, without special knowledge and the use of special equipment.
For gluing the profile, a silicone or acrylic based sealant can be used. Any glue for this type of work is also perfect, as well as liquid nails.
It is worth noting that the bathroom has features for making an external corner. It is best to make it in one piece, and not choose from the remaining fragments.
To perform this option for joining tiles in the corners of a room, you should acquire special equipment for work. The implementation process will take some time and effort, which indicates the need for experience.
- In the places where the tiles of adjacent walls are attached, the end part is cut with an angle of 45 degrees.
- If you later dock the two tiles with each other, you should get an angle of 90 degrees. At the same time, the decorative part of the tile looks at each other.
This action is carried out using an electric tile cutter equipped with a diamond disc, sandpaper or grinder. Each of the options has its own characteristics and difficulties of implementation, which are worth familiarizing yourself with. The method can be used not only to create internal corners between adjacent walls, but also when laying tiles on an external corner (in door and window openings).
Use sandpaper wisely. After all, not every version of it is suitable for performing work. In the process, you should purchase at least two types of it:
- No. 40 and No. 60.
- No. 40 and No. 80.
# 40 is suitable when used for a rough fit, and the second option will do an excellent job of accurately leveling the surface and eliminating possible defects.
When trimming the end part for the first time, it is best to first take the unnecessary fragments and train on them. When everything starts to turn out well, we start the main work.
In the absence of a desire to perform such manipulations, tiles without corners can be purchased. This is a separate type of decorative finish.
Elimination of defects
At the time of work, errors are not uncommon. No one is immune from this, but everyone should know how to get rid of them.
You may end up with an uneven wall joint in the room. To eliminate this, you can simply slightly adjust the adhesive mass under the tile.
It is evenly distributed over the entire surface.
It is not uncommon when cutting tiles at an angle did not bring the desired result. A slightly different angle was formed, and not 45. In this case, you should take sandpaper in your hands and use it to bring the matter to the end. The main thing is not to overdo it.
Problems at the junction of tiles are the most common. To solve this problem, two main methods are applied in practice:
- Processing with classic grouting of existing joints between adjacent walls.
- Installation of decorative profiles in places where material chips and gaps appear. In addition, it is very easy and quick to glue the profile using a special sealant or liquid nails.
During the preparatory activities and the purchase of the necessary materials, you should carefully study the available range. This is especially true for the profiles used in practice. Their use can be associated with the creation of external and internal corners, depending on the purpose. When it comes to color matching, it's best to shop for tiles and profiles on the same network. This will give the best bottom line results.
If you do everything correctly and choose the appropriate option for joining the tile elements, the interior will not deteriorate and the entire room will become attractive. The use of additional profiles from various materials for finishing the corners of the tiles will allow you to hide possible defects in the work carried out, as well as fasten the adjacent rows of tiles together.
The article was written specifically for