2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-24 22:24
- Problems when renovating a small bathroom
- Tips for choosing a future bathroom
- Replacement of communications
- Preparation of surfaces for finishing
- The use of finishing materials
- The choice of plumbing
An echo of the apartment layouts that were ubiquitous in the last century is the small bathroom. Its area rarely exceeds 4 m², therefore, to equip such a room stylishly and practically, you need to make some effort. To achieve visual comfort and rational use of space, you need to pay attention to lighting, the shape of the plumbing and the color scheme of the bathroom.
Problems when renovating a small bathroom
The inconvenience of planning in Khrushchevs is due to the fact that in the past years the goal was set: the construction of apartments in a short time. Therefore, the designers did not think about the convenience and size of the bathroom. The area of the apartment assumed the use of the minimum space for one person. Nobody thought about the convenience and possibility of placing additional plumbing fixtures in the bathroom.
Over time, the question of bathroom renovation becomes a question. There are several difficulties that can be encountered during a renovation:
- Small dimensions of the room. The bathroom in Khrushchev is usually combined, therefore, initially it should have contained a bathroom, toilet and sink. The years passed, and the financial side of life increased in people. Many people have purchased washing machines and other plumbing fixtures, but the small space does not allow installing plumbing fixtures in this room.
- Roughness of surfaces. In Soviet times, houses were built at an accelerated rate, so workers paid little attention to perfectly flat walls. Now, when renovating a bathroom, you have to work hard to align the walls, ceiling and floor. An important nuance is the corners of the room, into which the bath itself should harmoniously fit, they, most likely, will also need to be brought to evenness.
- Outdated communications. Most of the high-rise buildings were built at least 50 years ago. In this regard, all pipes and electrical wiring in the room over time fell into disrepair. During the repair, it is necessary to replace all communications, so that in the future this does not lead to dangerous situations and does not spoil the repair.
As you can see, these problems are solvable, because today a lot of design ideas and innovations have been invented that will help to practically use a small bathroom.
Tips for choosing a future bathroom
Before starting the renovation, think about the design of the future bathroom. It is necessary to plan out every detail: where the bathroom, sink, washing machine, heated towel rail and other items will be located. Every centimeter of an already small space should be equipped with benefit.
- If the bathroom is separate, then you can carry out redevelopment: demolish the wall between the bathroom and the toilet and combine these two spaces into one room. Difficulty with such a course will arise when arranging communications, however, such a connection will add a little space on which, for example, a washing machine can be installed.
- The door in the bathroom can be made sliding, this will save space.
- The key to a visual increase in the room is a large amount of lighting: spotlights on the ceiling, sconces near the cabinets, a small ceiling chandelier.
- The use of mirrors also adds space. Therefore, it is worth taking a closer look at the idea of installing mirrored ceilings.
- Glass interior elements add lightness to the design. If finances permit, install not a ceramic, but a glass sink. You can also create an imitation of a small window in the wall.
- Applying a tile with a vertical pattern and separating it with a decorative frieze will also make the walls look taller.
- Plumbing should not be conspicuous: plain plumbing fixtures without patterns will do.
- Refuse to use decorative accessories in the bathroom interior - this will visually pile up an already small space.
If the layout allows, you can make built-in lockers in the entire wall. Thus, space will be used rationally, and every thing will be hidden from view.
With regard to color schemes in the bathroom, designers advise choosing those colors that visually expand the space. Usually these are light colors, provided that snow-white plumbing is used.
A popular solution is to use light brown, beige colors. You can also play in contrast, and make half of the wall from the floor tiles of a dark color, and the upper part of the wall light, while separating the two colors with a decorative border.
Replacement of communications
Any major overhaul begins with the replacement of communications. In the bathroom, water pipes and electrical wiring must be replaced. According to the drawn up project and design of the future bathroom, it is necessary to replace them.
Dilapidated pipes made of cast iron, which have served for several decades, should be replaced with plastic ones. When choosing water pipes, give preference to polypropylene. Such material has long established itself in the construction market. When choosing pipes, pay attention to the permissible water temperature for which the pipe is intended. Today, high quality and reliable reinforced polypropylene pipes with the addition of fiberglass.
The installation of a new water supply system is carried out according to the following scheme:
- Removing the old plumbing system in the bathroom;
- Cutting pipes of the required length, according to the scheme of the future water supply system;
- Connecting pipes to each other using tees and couplings;
- Installation of shut-off valves;
- Slitting walls for laying pipes or fixing them on the wall with clamps and ties;
- Connecting a new water supply.
Laying new wiring also involves gouging walls. This is due not only to the aesthetic side of the renovation, but also to the safety in the room. Moisture is always present in the bathroom, so all electrical communications must be securely hidden under a layer of finishing materials.
Do not forget that the sockets in the bathroom must have increased protection against water. Choose sockets with special shutters on the holes, as well as sockets with a closable plastic valve.
Preparation of surfaces for finishing
In order for the tiles and other finishing materials in the bathroom to lie well on the surface, it must first be leveled.
In order not to apply layers of plaster, and then bring it to perfect condition, the masters recommend using a special moisture-resistant drywall for the walls. Such material for walls is very convenient in that it already has its own flat surface. Plasterboard installation consists of several stages:
- Marking is carried out for metal profiles on which drywall will be attached. Usually the profiles are installed in 60 cm increments;
- The required length of each profile is measured, as a result of which the profile is cut;
- Special fasteners are screwed to the wall that will hold the profile;
- Metal vertical profiles are installed, as well as transverse strips between them;
- Plasterboard sheets are mounted on a metal frame;
- After installing the drywall, all joints are treated with a special tape for seams.
Such a surface is already completely ready for putty, painting or tiling. However, the use of drywall causes a loss of space by 5 cm on each side of the wall, if this is unacceptable, then it is better to use the old proven method of plastering the walls.
Floor preparation involves leveling it with a screed. To do this, it is necessary to remove the old concrete coating, and then lay the waterproofing materials for the room. Only then can a new cement screed be poured.
The use of finishing materials
After preparing the surfaces, you need to do the finishing of the walls, floor and ceiling. Most often, tiles are used for lining the bathroom. For the floor, you can choose porcelain stoneware - a fairly strong and reliable material, but it has low thermal conductivity. Ordinary tiles are suitable for walls: they can be matte or glazed - it all depends on your choice.
Floor and wall tiles are laid on a special tile adhesive, which is applied both to the surface and to the tile itself. Work begins from the far corner of the room, while leaving the necessary exits and holes for pipes and sockets. Tiles are laid on the walls, starting from the bottom.
The ceiling in a small bathroom can be left white by putting putty on it, or you can use plastic panels of a suitable color, which are attached to wooden slats with a construction gun.
The choice of plumbing
The use of a shower cabin has become popular in small-sized rooms. In terms of cost, such plumbing will cost less than a bath, and it will take much less space. However, if the family has small children, then this option will not be entirely convenient.
Shower cabins can be with a high or low base, closed with plastic or glass doors, have patterns or be matte: it all depends on the wishes of the owners and the overall picture of the bathroom interior.
When choosing a sink, pay attention to rectangular models, the width of which is 30-40 cm. If the bathroom is combined, then give preference not to standard toilet bowls, but to installations with a suspended structure of a toilet bowl.
There will be no problems with the choice of household appliances for the bathroom: today washing machines with a minimum depth are very common, which will fit well even into the smallest bathroom.