2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-24 22:24
- What are crosses for?
- How to choose crosses
- Item size
- Number of sides
- Depending on the profile
- Types of crosses
- How to calculate correctly
Laying tiles cannot do without auxiliary trifles. It is one of these that additional devices for aligning the seams become. An even seam is one of the main requirements for a high-quality and attractive tile covering. And here the main thing is to decide which crosses are needed for the tile, and on what factors their choice depends.
What are crosses for?
First of all, for the correct choice of crosses, their model and size, one should decide what they are for at all, after which, consider the various types and their purpose.
So, first, let's consider what functions the crosses perform:
- First of all, they help to create perfect joints, more specifically, to create joints between tiles of the same width, which ensures the attractiveness of the finished coating.
- Also, sometimes tile expansion can occur due to moisture absorption. In this situation, the crosses maintain a distance, which avoids deformation of the tile and base.
- In the case of laying tiles on the floor, which crosses are needed, everything will also depend on the material itself, since when working with tiles of different sizes, these devices allow you to maintain the distances between the elements, which hides all the irregularities.
How to choose crosses
So, the main question becomes: "What crosses are needed for tiles on the floor or walls?" And the answer to it will depend on a number of factors, which we will consider further.
Let's start with a general outline. It should be noted that the choice depends on the following criteria:
- The size of the elements.
- The number of sides of the product.
- Edge type.
- Product quality.
Now let's look at each of the criteria in more detail. Let's start in order.
Someone does not know that such devices are made of different thicknesses, from 1 to 8 millimeters, while the pitch is up to 1 mm. And which crosses for a tile to choose will depend on the following parameters:
- The presence of a chamfer or its absence. In the second case, it is necessary to independently display the boundaries between the tiles.
- The quality of the tile, or rather its evenness, as well as the absence of chips. In some cases, such defects must be eliminated, for which a technique such as deliberate enlargement of the seam is used.
- Visualization. As is known from the technology of laying tiles, it is recommended to carry out a rough layout, which is implied for the calculation. But, in addition, such a process will allow you to see how the coating will look and help you choose the right seam thickness.
- Also, the choice depends on the size of the tiles. In general, the width of the seam is calculated by dividing the largest side of the tile by 100. But it should be noted that a small seam will not always work. It also depends on the aesthetic qualities. In addition, the larger the tiles, the more you need to make the distance between them.
Important! It is also necessary to note that it is necessary to select the right grout. And its choice is carried out immediately after the selection of seams, but not earlier. Thus, for the same tile, with a seam of 3 mm, one grout may be suitable, and with a small increase it will spoil the look, and another is needed.
Number of sides
Different crosses may be provided depending on the type of installation. In this way:
- In the case of standard laying, elements with four ends are used.
- At the same time, staggering implies the use of three-pointed elements.
- Also, do not forget about the designer tiles, which can have 6 or 8 faces, for which crosses will have to be made to order.
Depending on the profile
Also, considering products from different manufacturers, it is sometimes difficult to decide which crosses are best for tiles. They often differ in shape, have different sizes, for example, one side may be thicker than the other.
Such elements complicate the work, since you have to constantly monitor the use of only the same sides of the crosses. It is recommended, of course, to use standard crosses, disregarding any intricate products.
The quality of the materials used also becomes an important factor in the selection. Thus, high-quality, flexible crosses with good strength can be easily pulled out, while using low-quality elements, they can crumble when removed, and pieces remain in the seam, which is not always good.
By the way, also, considering the quality, you can pay attention to two types of inserts. These are hollow and solid elements. In the case of the first ones, when inserted, they do not squeeze out the solution, respectively, they do not stain the surface of the tiles, which cannot be said about solid ones.
Types of crosses
And finally, before deciding which size of the cross for the tile to choose, you need to consider their varieties:
- Cruciform elements. These are the most standard inserts that have been in use for many years. By their structure, they represent two straight lines intersecting each other, forming even corners at the intersection. People call them plus signs.
- The second type is T-shaped inserts. These are used for staggered tile laying, as well as for side seams. These types of items are sold separately, but it's no secret that it's easy to make them yourself from standard ones by cutting off one end.
- The next are the tile wedges. Elements of this kind are manually adjusted to any seam thickness, for which it is enough to deepen them to the required distance. This kind of fixture can often be found when laying on a wall or steps.
- And the last are the tile leveling systems. Also referred to as 3D inserts. These elements not only allow you to align the seams, but also bring adjacent tiles to one level, pressing them tightly. More details about such systems can be found in a separate article.
How to calculate correctly
After the type is selected, the crosses for laying the tiles need to be counted. On average, the number is equal to one item per side.
Thus, to calculate the amount, you should calculate the number of tiles to be laid for a square meter of coverage, and then multiply the resulting number by either 4 or 8 (depending on the method of inserting crosses). Thus, the amount required for a square meter should be obtained. Of course, do not forget to calculate 10% of the stock, as in the process some will be lost, some will break, and some in general will be defective.
On average, depending on the size of the tile, from 30 to 100 crosses are used for one square meter. While there are 100 units in a standard package.
Ultimately, speaking about which crosses for tiles to choose, experts recommend choosing elements that are able to align the seams, and in addition, set the tile level and fix it. These are precisely the coating leveling systems. With them, work will be faster and easier, and most importantly, better. In conclusion, you can see a little about crosses in the videos below. There will be provided advice on choosing, as well as an analysis of the features of various kinds of crosses. There is also a replacement for tiled crosses, this is the SVP system.