2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- Classification of structures
- DIY door slopes
- Preparing slopes
- Slopes for entrance doors
- Slopes for doors between rooms
- Plasterboard constructions
The creation of door slopes is ideal for completing any opening - including exterior and interior doors. These works are as important a stage in the repair as the process of installing the canvas itself. And the final picture, which can affect the entire interior of the room, largely depends on their quality. In order to complete the installation of door slopes with your own hands, you should have certain skills, as well as decide on the method of execution and materials of construction.
Classification of structures
There are several options for how to make a door slope with your own hands, which are to be used:
- drywall, suitable for surface finishing, the leveling of which will require a large amount of mortar. With the help of gypsum plasterboard sheets, the surface is easily leveled and, at the request of the contractor or the customer, is painted or plastered;
- plaster, used in cases where the surface can be leveled using a layer of mortar with a thickness of no more than 30 mm. This option is not the fastest, but profitable and simple;
- laminate, which is suitable for doors or arches already finished with this material. Finishing door slopes with laminated chipboard is not suitable for rooms with high humidity and, moreover, for external doors;
- MDF panels, resistant to temperature extremes and high humidity, making them suitable for any doors;
- wood, an expensive material, but with good aesthetic and strength characteristics. To finish the slope of the doorway when performing repair work of various classes (economy, standard or exclusive), you should use both ordinary wood and valuable wood species.
Choosing an option with do-it-yourself door slopes with decorative stone or tiles is a rare, but also valid option. It is mainly used for the entrance doors of mansions. A decorative stone looks especially advantageous in combination with a porch, terrace or path to the house made of the same material.
The variety of methods for finishing door slopes allows you to choose the right option for any conditions. One of the main selection criteria is the correspondence of the decorative characteristics of the structure to the general interior. If several options are suitable for the design of the room, they choose the one that best suits the tastes and financial capabilities of the home owner.
Read an interesting article about beautiful options for decorating wall corners.
DIY door slopes
During the installation process, surface preparation is required. And only then apply the chosen finishing technique. And it, first of all, depends on what kind of doors we are talking about - installed between rooms or entrance doors.
In most cases, the surface is pre-leveled. To do this, the contractor first needs to prepare the necessary materials - plaster, primer, starting putty, construction mixer (or a suitable drill attachment), roller, mesh, masking tape and buckets. In addition, in order to prepare for finishing, the slope must first be completely cleaned of old finishing materials (such as foam or plaster) and dirt. And then go on to the alignment steps that can be found on the net and even watch a video of this process:
- Prime the surface;
- Prepare the starter mixture in a suitable container;
- Apply the mortar, smoothing it to the desired thickness. The adhesion of the material can be improved by spraying the concrete with water. And, if the wall was badly damaged when installing the door, you should use a special mesh;
- Align corners using corners;
- Rub the dried layer of mortar until cracks and irregularities disappear;
- Re-apply the primer;
- Bring the surface to its normal state using the already finishing putty.
- After leveling the surface, proceed with the final finishing - painting (if the simplest option is chosen), wallpapering, laying tiles, installing drywall or panels.
Slopes for entrance doors
If we consider options suitable for external doors, it is worth noting the three best ones that have a sufficient margin of safety and withstand constant closing vibrations. Internal slopes are finished with laminated chipboard or MDF. The panels are installed using polyurethane foam, liquid nails or using guide strips.
The exterior of the door is most often done using plaster on which tiles or stone can be attached. The beginning of the installation does not differ from leveling the surface, but ends with fixing the finishing material with glue. If additional finishing is not expected, the plaster is painted.
Slopes for doors between rooms
Do-it-yourself work on finishing the slopes of interior doors can be done using almost any materials. The main thing is to comply with the correspondence between the styles of designs that go into the same room. In the living room, MDF slopes look good - especially if you choose them to match the interior. Suitable for decoration and slopes with wallpaper, visually extending the walls and increasing the size of the room.
The bathrooms use ceramic tiles - again the same ones that were laid on the walls. The ceramics are glued to the leveled surface. If the room is finished with plastic or metal-plastic panels, you should choose the same materials for the slopes. The same applies to rooms, the enclosing structures in which are finished with plasterboard.
Among the options suitable for the slopes of interior doors, panel and plasterboard structures are most often used. In addition to the fact that they look more profitable, the cost of such a structure will be more profitable than for options made of wood and tiles. And the time to complete the repair work is shorter compared to plastering.
The way to make door slopes from MDF panels is suitable for any door and consists in installing a wooden frame, the slats for which are purchased in advance and treated with an antiseptic. In the process of choosing a material, the main thing is not to be mistaken with the dimensions. It should be borne in mind that the thickness of each strip in the process increases by the size of the plate attached to it;
Panel decoration begins with the selection of the necessary tools and materials:
- panels with which finishing is performed;
- wooden bars;
- self-tapping screws;
- roulette and level;
The technology for finishing the slopes of interior doors with their own hands from MDF is as follows:
- Removal of loose paint and old plaster;
- Surface primer, which is optional;
- Fastening a frame made of bars on a level with alignment of distortions on the walls (using boards or pieces of plywood);
- Mineral insulation lining (especially important for the outer door);
- Cutting panels according to the size of the trimmed slopes, fitting or fitting.
The final stage of work is to fix the material on the frame. If self-tapping screws are used for fastening, they are screwed with a slight deepening into the material and putty. Although when installing MDF panels, liquid nails are most often used, which are pointwise applied to the guides.
Approximately the same technique is also suitable for installation as a finishing of slopes for do-it-yourself interior doors of a laminate. Work begins with securing the bottom board with self-tapping screws and securing the next three to the lock. The fifth board is also installed using fasteners or liquid nails, after which the frequency continues. For a horizontal slope, each plank is fixed. The corners between the walls and slopes are finished with decorative corners or platbands.
The option of installing slopes for interior doors made of plasterboard sheets is suitable if the enclosing structures of the room are finished with the same material, and leveling the surface with only putty will require a significant amount of material. The choice of the option of two of them is influenced, first of all, by the length and width of the slope.
So, for small assembly seams and minimal damage when installing the door, the first method is used:
- Elements are cut from the plasterboard sheet, taking into account the slope angle;
- The surface of the slopes is cleaned and primed;
- Dry mix for gluing drywall is diluted with water according to the instructions;
- The finished substance is applied in a thin continuous layer to the element that needs to be pressed against the prepared slope;
- Panels are installed starting from the side surfaces;
- After installation, the cut out parts are fixed with masking tape.
The glue dries up, after which the seams must be putty and cleaned with fine-grained sandpaper. And after another layer of primer is applied to the slope, it is considered completely ready. Additional finishing can be installed on top of the drywall.
The second option is to install drywall on an aluminum frame. This method is more complicated and is possible only if there is a frame cladding of the enclosing structures, which increases the depth of the slopes. Only experienced specialists can make such door slopes with their own hands.
A wardrobe with sliding doors will take up very little space in the apartment. Review of materials and choice of mechanism for sliding doors for the cabinet. Why is it important to buy quality fittings?
Double-leaf sliding interior doors will save space in the room and look great. How to choose high-quality doors, and most importantly, accessories for them? Expert advice
Let's Compare Doors Made Of Solid Pine And Eco-veneer. The Main Properties And Disadvantages Of Materials
What is better for interior doors: veneer or eco-veneer, PVC. We will consider all the pros and cons of different materials and help you choose the right model. Reliability and long years of operation depend on the melting choice
Finishing window slopes is a necessary procedure. What is the best way to accomplish it? Expert advice on finishing slopes with plastic panels and plaster. Video instruction
Are you wondering how to repair the slopes after installing plastic windows? An overview of methods and materials, how to close up the slopes from the outside after installing plastic windows