2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- Base marking and preparation for installation
- Work technology
- Laying tiles
There are only two ways to lay out tiles, and the most difficult is to lay tiles diagonally. But even taking into account the complexity of the implementation, such a laying option has become widespread. In particular, the method reached its peak of popularity due to its unique ability to increase space. But in order to correctly lay the floor diagonally, you need to know all the features, starting with the marking, and ending with the elimination of excess grout.
Base marking and preparation for installation
The main mistake that novice specialists make, as well as those who decided to carry out repairs on their own, is the wrong choice of a landmark. In particular, to determine the direction, the diagonal is bounced off, but we note that it is not always accurate, and also is not an indicator of the direction, which is necessarily necessary. This approach, of course, will not spoil the quality of the coating itself, but it will in no way affect the appearance. Upon completion of the work, entering the room, you can see the unevenly laid rhombuses of the tiles.
Of course, in some cases this is not noticeable. But it still greatly affects the appearance. And the culprit is the wrong laying angle. As you know, tiles must be laid out at an angle of 45 degrees. But do not forget that such an angle can be diagonal only when it comes to a square room. In other cases, the angle will be either larger or smaller, which causes irregularities.
In order for the tile to be correctly laid, it is necessary to beat off not the diagonal, but the bisector of the corner. Or, build an isosceles triangle on the floor. In order to perform such a construction, segments of the same distance should be set aside from the corner to each side of the wall, preferably in accordance with the size of the diagonal of the tile. This will allow you to start laying out the surface in solid tiles rather than in pieces.
The next thing to note is surface preparation. Everything is simple here, observe the minimum requirements, in particular the absence of moisture and debris, leveling the surface, and this will allow you to get the highest quality coating.
We briefly mentioned the main thing, and now we will consider directly how the tiles are laid diagonally on the floor. In particular, we will analyze it in the form of a visual instruction that you can use right now. We note right away that the instructions are suitable both for laying on the floor and for walls.
As mentioned earlier, the first step is to mark the floor surface. It is performed by marking equal segments from the corner, which will further determine the direction of laying. At the end point of each segment, it is advisable to drive in a dowel, and then pull on a thread that will serve as a guide.
The next, mandatory stage of work is the priming of the floor surface. If this process is overlooked, then you run the risk of ultimately ruining the result altogether, respectively, of the tile itself, as well as transferring building materials, which will entail unnecessary financial costs.
The primer is applied with a brush, roller or spray, depending on the type. Upon completion, the surface should be allowed to dry for at least a few hours.
After you have primed the surface with a standard primer. In case of unevenness in the subfloor, it is necessary to carry out the pre-leveling procedure using adhesive. Since laying tiles diagonally on the floor is not done for one year, additional measures are needed to increase the quality of work.
To carry out this kind of work, the tile adhesive should be diluted, while it must be made rare. Then we putty the floor surface with it. Such a process is provided for the complete elimination of pores, pits, cracks and other defects on the surface. In this case, immediately after applying it, you can start working. It is advisable only to wait until the glue mixture sets (but not necessarily).
Now it's time to lay the tiles directly. First of all, you need to follow the instructions to dilute the glue mixture, after which we arm ourselves with a notched trowel and forward:
- We apply glue to the base (also, to improve the quality, you can additionally apply it to the tiles). Most of the mixture is applied only to the base, which reduces the adhesion area. This will distribute the mixture on the floor and allow full contact with the surface.
- The next step is to lay the tiles and start leveling them. It is necessary to orient the tile strictly according to a stretched thread or a laser level. Having arranged it in the correct position, we slightly tap it with a rubber mallet in order to put it well on the glue. Then we check the horizontalness with the help of the building level, if necessary, we also level it.
- Now you can proceed with the further laying of the next tile. We settle, and we check the position on the level, moreover, one should check both separately one tile, and two together. In this case, no gaps should appear between the tile and the applied level. In addition, the tiles must be horizontal in any direction of the level.
- After checking, you can proceed with further installation. Subsequent tiles are laid out in the same way, checking by level.
- Upon completion of the installation, the coating is left for several days until the adhesive mixture dries. Note that we do not touch the remaining sections of the floor where it is necessary to lay the cut tiles.
- And finally, before laying the tiles diagonally, we carry out the laying of the carved tiles. After a few days, it is necessary to complete the installation by arranging the cut tiles. Cutting is done using a tile cutter, or a grinder.
And finally, after the glue has dried,
grouting is carried out. The process itself is simple but responsible:
- We take a dry grout mixture.
- We breed following the instructions.
- Press the mixture into the seams using a rubber spatula
It is important to do the work carefully and slowly, since the grout dries quickly, after which it is impossible to eliminate any errors. It is also important to remove excess material from the surface of the tile upon completion of work on every 2 square meters of the tile, which is done with a dry cloth.
In conclusion, we will provide a small tip for calculating the number of tiles to be laid diagonally. Everything is quite simple here, we calculate the area of the room and add 1% of the resulting number. For the convenience of calculations, we suggest using a calculator:
|The size of the covered surface|
|The area on which the tiles will not be glued|
|You will need tiles, m 2|
Calculators from wpcalc.com
On this question, how to put the tiles on the floor diagonally can be considered closed. In addition, we suggest watching several videos on how to lay diagonally, how to correctly perform the markings and other questions, the answers to which you need to know
Consider whether it is possible to lay tiles on drywall in the bathroom and which tile adhesive is better to choose. GKL preparation rules and tips on how to stick ceramic tiles with your own hands: video, photo
Mosaic tiles on a grid have become a popular option for decorating a bathroom, the installation of which has its own peculiarities of installing mosaic tiles on the wall, somewhat different technology
Ways to properly lay ceramic tiles on a wooden base using sheets of gypsum fiber board or OSB. Base preparation technology, methods of laying tiles on the floor
How To Put Tiles In The Bathroom On The Floor And Walls Correctly, Video. Do-it-yourself Ceramic And Tiled Tile Laying Technology
A detailed video review on laying tiles on the floor with your own hands, tips and instructions from tiling specialists will help you lay tiles quickly and efficiently
Tips For Laying Ceramic Tiles On Walls And Floors. Advantages Of Ceramic Tiles, Tips For Choosing, Secrets. Surface Preparation For Tiles
Tabletop tips for laying ceramic tiles, the secrets of craftsmanship. Getting ready for tiling: 5 useful tips The advantages of ceramic tiles are obvious: being one of the most ancient materials used in decoration, tiles are an environmentally friendly product, durable, unpretentious in maintenance, waterproof, relatively inexpensive, presented in a large assortment. Consider a few tips for tiling with ceramic tiles, advantages, tips for choosing how to cut correctly