2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- Base advantage
- Drywall selection
- Adhesive selection
- Tools used
- Preparatory stage
- DIY tile laying
Recently, laying tiles on drywall has become a rather popular issue. Even despite the fact that many are skeptical about such work, and consider such coverage to be short-lived. Arguing that the weight of the cladding will destroy the sheets of drywall and all the work will be done in vain. But this is far from the case, we live in a world of new production technologies, and modern material - drywall, has a lot of opportunities.
As you know, in recent years, drywall has been considered an excellent base for laying tiles, since it allows you to perfectly level the surface. That is why, if you want to quickly carry out repairs in accordance with all technologies and state standards, such a foundation will be a good helper.
Strange as it may seem, but the phenomenon of leveling the walls with plasterboard for laying tiles has recently been not uncommon. And you can meet him almost everywhere, from the corridor to the kitchen and bathroom. This becomes a rather convenient way, since it is possible to successfully “hide” insulation, waterproofing and all the necessary communications in the frame niches. And in conclusion, it remains only to properly prepare the surface and put the tiles on drywall.
Before we move on to the rules for laying tiles, you should decide on the benefits of such a material. What is it good for.
Consider a number of advantages that determine the choice of just such a material:
- First of all, the role is played by the relatively low cost of the material. Which in most cases comes out more economical than leveling the walls using plaster.
- The material helps to create the ideal tile surface as quickly as possible.
- In addition, as already mentioned, it becomes possible to hide insulation and communications in its frame.
- Drywall itself additionally insulates the wall and improves waterproofing.
- Also avoids a lot of dusty plastering work.
- And most importantly, it saves time, because there is no need to wait until the mortar dries, the sheets are installed on the frame and you can immediately start laying.
And this is only part of the benefits, in fact, there are many more. But this list is already enough to choose just such material.
For a better and more reliable base, use two layers of GKL sheets. If you still doubt the reliability of fixing the tiles to drywall, then go through the additional Betokontakt.
In fact, the choice of the type of drywall depends directly on the room in which the installation will be carried out. The only thing that the correct laying of the tiles itself requires in this case is a perfectly flat surface. That is why gypsum plasterboard is chosen based on the requirements for the room, there are different types of drywall.
Thus, for example, if we are talking about creating a plasterboard partition for further tiling, then it is permissible to use standard sheets. Flame retardant in some cases.
But when it comes to the kitchen or bathroom, then moisture-resistant gypsum boards are already needed. Such a coating will last much longer indoors, despite the high level of humidity.
Regardless of what type of sheet is used, it is imperative to prime the drywall surface before laying the tiles.
Also in other cases, when it comes to, for example, preparing the floor for laying plasterboard tiles, then it is worth choosing reinforced options that will be suitable for high loads.
As you know, today there are several hundred manufacturers and varieties of cool tile mixes. That is why a different mixture is selected for each individual case. Her choice depends on many factors:
- Drywall Compatibility (i.e. the mix must have sufficient adhesion to bond the materials together securely.
- High level of quality, since in this case simplicity and ease of use are important.
- Toxicity, or rather its absence. You should not experience any discomfort when styling, much less get chemical poisoning. And besides, the coating should not in the future, during operation, release toxic substances into the air.
Considering the recommendations of professionals regarding the preparation of tiles for laying, as well as the choice of materials, there are several types of glue that are best suited in this situation:
- Ceresit CM17;
- Vetonit Renovation Fix;
- Kiilto Profix;
- Knauf flex.
It is also important to note that attention must also be paid to the preparation of the glue. Everything must be done strictly according to the instructions. Usually it is found on the package, or is attached to it. In addition, you need to cook it in portions, preferably no more than how much you can use in one approach for 20-30 minutes.
The order of laying tiles on drywall practically does not differ from the features of facing surfaces of other types. And therefore, the tools for work are the same.
In particular, you will need the following equipment:
- Tile cutter or grinder for cutting tiles.
- Building level.
- A drill with a nozzle for mixing mortar or a construction mixer.
- Crosses and corners (alternatively, special tile systems are used).
- Rubber hammer for leveling tiles.
- And also several spatulas, regular and notched.
Initially, for arranging the tiles on drywall, it is, of course, necessary to build a drywall wall. Accordingly, following all the technical requirements, it is necessary to build a frame and install a gypsum board on it. Directly the technology of wall cladding with plasterboard can be viewed in a separate article.
An important factor is to think in advance about the location of all communications, insulation and other factors. Since after installation and facing, this can only be done by dismantling the cover.
Particular attention should be paid to additional insulation and waterproofing and treatment with water-repellent compounds (when it comes to preparing the bathroom floor for laying tiles.
Also, a surface primer is required to ensure reliable adhesion.
Now we have smoothly approached the preparation of the surface for tiling. It can be noted that the process itself is practically no different from the preparation for any other facing.
First of all, the essence of preparation for laying tiles is leveling the surface and eliminating defects. For this, the surface is putty, special attention is paid to the seams and joints. After which the base is primed, preferably in several layers.
Thus, preparation for laying tiles is carried out.
DIY tile laying
And it's time to consider the tiling sequence. For the most part, standard tile adhesive is used to secure the tiles. It is purchased in the form of a dry mixture, respectively, it is prepared completely following the instructions.
We have already mentioned this, now there is only a question of how to properly lay the tiles on drywall, and there are some features here. Consider the step-by-step instructions:
- The first step, respectively, is the preparation of the adhesive mixture.
- In the next step, first, using a conventional spatula, glue is applied and leveled, after which it is additionally leveled using a special notched trowel. At the same time, the area of application should not be larger than you can process in 10-15 minutes. In particular, about 0.7-1 square meters. Glue layer no more than 5 millimeters.
- Also, the glue is applied to the tiles themselves, which helps to avoid voids and improve adhesion.
- Laying is possible as long as the glue is in a consistency that sticks to the hands. If it has already started to grasp a little, its use ends.
- The prepared tile is pressed against the wall with a certain force, pressed until the required tightness is achieved (about 2mm from the wall).
- To create identical seams, crosses and corners are used, which are inserted between two adjacent tiles.
- Upon completion of the masonry, it is necessary to allow the coating to dry, and after the glue has dried, rub the seams.
An important point should be noted the mandatory placement of tiles strictly horizontally. Many beginners in the field of styling believe that it is impossible to do this on their own, without professional help, but less and less tragic.
To do this, throughout the entire process, you should have a level, a plumb line and a tape measure at hand. They will help you carefully calculate everything, check the level of coverage, its slope, and promptly eliminate all defects.
It is important to carry out the work in several stages, performing only a few rows of material in one approach, so the coating will be of better quality.
Along with the question of how to put tiles on a plasterboard wall.
But note that laying tiles on gypsum plasterboard is quite a feasible task for everyone.
Thus, guided by these instructions, you can easily independently perform the cladding of rooms with plasterboard walls with tiles. And for greater clarity, we suggest watching several videos that will tell you in more detail about such a process as laying tiles on drywall with your own hands.
Consider whether it is possible to lay tiles on drywall in the bathroom and which tile adhesive is better to choose. GKL preparation rules and tips on how to stick ceramic tiles with your own hands: video, photo
The moment comes when it is necessary to lay the tiles. And if you decide to do it yourself, then the step-by-step installation instructions are an irreplaceable assistant
When leveling surfaces in the bathroom, drywall is often used, and it is important to know how to lay tiles on drywall in the bathroom, taking into account all the features
Do-it-yourself tile laying technology on the floor in the form of step-by-step instructions and videos. Nuances of self-arrangement of a ceramic floor and technology features
Tips For Laying Ceramic Tiles On Walls And Floors. Advantages Of Ceramic Tiles, Tips For Choosing, Secrets. Surface Preparation For Tiles
Tabletop tips for laying ceramic tiles, the secrets of craftsmanship. Getting ready for tiling: 5 useful tips The advantages of ceramic tiles are obvious: being one of the most ancient materials used in decoration, tiles are an environmentally friendly product, durable, unpretentious in maintenance, waterproof, relatively inexpensive, presented in a large assortment. Consider a few tips for tiling with ceramic tiles, advantages, tips for choosing how to cut correctly