2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- Benefits of a tiled balcony floor
- Material selection
- Types of tiles for the balcony
- Tile selection criteria
- Step-by-step installation instructions
- Preparatory stage
- Laying tiles
Standard balconies are designed as cold reinforced concrete slabs. And this is not the most attractive coverage option. Therefore, an important question becomes not only how to level the floor on the balcony, but also, laying the floor on the balcony. Tile is becoming a fairly common option for arranging a coating, so it is worth considering all the advantages of such a coating, and most importantly, the technology for its implementation.
Benefits of a tiled balcony floor
The first thing worth noting is the number of advantages of such a coating. To begin with, remember that the tile itself has a number of advantages, such as:
- High level of strength and frost resistance.
- Attractive appearance.
- Wear resistance and durability.
- Resistant to chemical and mechanical stress.
- Easy to care for and use.
This type of coating is almost ideal, but there are several significant drawbacks due to which it is not used in residential premises.
- The first is high thermal conductivity, due to which it transfers the temperature of the base, that is, it is a cold material.
- And the second is the sound-reflecting function, which makes the rooms quite echoing and uncomfortable.
But in the conditions of a small area, these disadvantages are not strongly reflected, since in this case the balcony is not often used, therefore here the tile covering can be considered ideal as much as it is suitable for the kitchen or bathroom.
Before putting tiles on the balcony, you need to decide on its choice. First, we will consider the main types of tiles, after which we will move on to the selection criteria.
Types of tiles for the balcony
- The first option is tile. It contains clay, sand and some additives. Also, the tile is covered with glaze, which determines the color, pattern and overall texture.
- The next to be noted is porcelain stoneware. The material, due to its production technology, is resistant to temperature extremes, has good frost resistance, and corresponds in characteristics to natural stone, in particular in frost resistance, strength and water absorption. The disadvantage is the high cost.
- Another fairly reliable, and most importantly durable coating is clinker tiles. Such material is cheaper than porcelain stoneware, while its characteristics are not much inferior to it.
- One of the new types of tiles based on polymer materials is quartz vinyl. It contains 80 percent quartz sand and PVC. Has a high level of strength, practically does not wear off. A polyurethane film is applied on top of the decorative layer, which ensures durability.
- And the last type is the Cotto tile. Recently, it has become more and more popular due to an increase in the assortment, which is due to the beginning of the application of glaze, which did not exist before.
Tile selection criteria
And now it's worth deciding which tiles to put on the balcony. There are nuances of choice here, so let's consider them in order:
- First of all, the material should not be heavy so as not to exceed the permissible load on the balcony. This is especially important with already installed glazing and finishing. That is why massive types of tiles will not work. You should give your preference to a material with a level of wear resistance PEI-3.
- It is also undesirable to choose materials of large size, since they will visually reduce an already small space.
- Another factor is a dark tile, it is also undesirable to take it for the same reason as a large one. Materials in light or bright colors work well.
- In the case when the glazing of the balcony was not carried out, it is necessary to purchase tiles, as well as adhesive mixtures with a high level of moisture resistance, since the floor in this case will be under constant influence of climatic conditions.
- Also, the surface of the tile should be selected rough so that it does not result from injury in high humidity conditions. Embossed tiles are also a good option.
Thus, following the recommendations, you will be able to decide what kind of tiles can be laid on the balcony.
Step-by-step installation instructions
And now we have smoothly approached the instructions for performing the work. As you know, with preliminary preparation, the work is done better. That is why, first of all, we will consider the tools and materials that will be needed when performing work
Let's start with the tool:
- First of all, the building level.
- Of course, a tile cutter, or a grinder.
- Rubber hammer.
- A set of spatulas, normal and notched.
- Solution container.
- Also, you will additionally need a pencil or marker, a sponge and a rag.
Also, depending on the choice of the method of leveling the floor on the loggia or balcony, an additional row of tools will be needed. In more detail about the methods of leveling, pouring the floor on the balcony, etc., we will consider further.
First of all, as with other facing works, the old coating is dismantled. Since without eliminating it, you will increase the load, and possibly exceed it, which can subsequently lead to the destruction of the balcony.
Permissible surface loads:
- For Soviet-built balconies 200 kilograms per meter,
- For new homes up to 400 kilograms.
In the case of irregularities, you may need a floor screed on the balcony, which is carried out using one of several technologies:
"Wet". It is carried out using a special solution containing concrete and sand. A layer of waterproofing and thermal insulation is pre-laid.
- The next option is a warm screed on the balcony. It is carried out in approximately the same way as the first, but heating elements are also provided. In other words, the name of such a system is "Warm floor".
- And the last option, how to level the floor, is laying the log. The technology of such an alignment involves the laying of waterproofing, on which logs are subsequently laid. Further, the space between them is filled with insulation. After that, moisture resistant plywood is provided, as well as gypsum fiber sheets.
Read more about each of the alignment methods in separate materials:
- Performing a wet screed.
- Arrangement of the warm floor system.
After solving the question of how to level the floor on the balcony with your own hands, you can go directly to the installation. The finishing itself must be carried out at a temperature of at least 10 degrees. It is carried out in the following sequence:
First of all, sheets of moisture-resistant polyethylene are laid out on top of the screed.
- Then a primer is carried out with a special compound, or with a prepared solution from ordinary PVA glue.
- The next step is marking, the type of which depends on the type of masonry. It is important to control the accuracy of the markings, otherwise the tiles may not be laid correctly.
- The installation itself begins from the center of the floor, while the carved pieces are laid out along the edges, where they will be invisible.
- We prepare the glue, the portion must be made of such a size that will be used within 40 minutes.
- Apply the mixture with a notched trowel to the floor surface, up to an area of 1 square meter.
- The next step is to lay the first tile. Checking the horizontal position.
Next, the laying of subsequent ones begins, to form the seams, floor leveling systems are used, or crosses. In the case of porcelain stoneware, seamless masonry can be used, which gives the impression of a single coating, laid with one sheet of material.
A day later, it is better after a few days, after laying, grouting is carried out, which is done with a rubber spatula.
- And the last step is to clean the tiles from dirt and remove excess grout.
This completes the tiling work.
As you can see, the tile laying technology practically does not differ from the cladding in other rooms. The only difference is the possible way of leveling the floor, which is rarely used. And in conclusion, we suggest watching a few videos that clearly show how to level the floors and lay tiles on the balcony.
How To Lay Kitchen Tiles On The Floor In Steps. Work Stages In Detail. Choosing And Preparing Materials For Work
Tips for laying floor tiles in the kitchen. Necessary tools and materials, preparation, work sequence, tile trimming. We carry out repairs with our own hands in the apartment: photos, videos, instructions
Kitchen apron tile laying technology, methods that will help you cope with the work yourself. The distance from the floor is 70-80 cm, and the standard height is 55-65 cm
When leveling surfaces in the bathroom, drywall is often used, and it is important to know how to lay tiles on drywall in the bathroom, taking into account all the features
Touching upon the renovation of a bathroom or kitchen, a frequent desire is to install ceramic floors, therefore it is important to know the technology of laying tiles on the floor, and the necessary preparatory processes
Tips For Laying Ceramic Tiles On Walls And Floors. Advantages Of Ceramic Tiles, Tips For Choosing, Secrets. Surface Preparation For Tiles
Tabletop tips for laying ceramic tiles, the secrets of craftsmanship. Getting ready for tiling: 5 useful tips The advantages of ceramic tiles are obvious: being one of the most ancient materials used in decoration, tiles are an environmentally friendly product, durable, unpretentious in maintenance, waterproof, relatively inexpensive, presented in a large assortment. Consider a few tips for tiling with ceramic tiles, advantages, tips for choosing how to cut correctly