2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- Choosing a tile drilling tool
- Drills for tiles, their brands and purpose
- How to make holes in an already laid tile
- Small holes
- Large diameter hole
- Drills for the wrong tiles
- Ceramic tile drilling technology
Upon completion of the wall decoration with tiles, a very important question arises as to which drill to drill the tiles. And it becomes even more important how to drill tiles on the wall. It should be noted that quite often the tiles are laid first, and after that holes are made for switches, sockets and other accessories, such as a hanger or fasteners for cabinets.
Also, in some cases, specialists perform cutting of tiles and holes in it in advance. But in each of the situations it is necessary to know the technology for performing work, and most importantly, to choose the right tool.
Before proceeding directly to the selection of the tool and the drilling process itself, one should note the complexity of the work. It consists in the fact that the tile is quite fragile, and therefore can easily crack. That is why you need to carefully select the right tool, as well as strictly follow the technological recommendations for the work.
It is worth highlighting that floor tiles are much stronger, read in detail how to drill porcelain stoneware tiles.
Choosing a tile drilling tool
Accordingly, the first question that needs to be paid much attention is how to drill ceramic tiles. There are several requirements that a work tool must meet:
- First of all, it should be possible to control the rotational speed of the drill.
- Also, the control of pressing (pressure) on the surface becomes an important factor.
Thus, it can be noted that any tool with perforation elements will not work.
A very good option would be a screwdriver, while at a low speed. Also important is the complete absence of vibration or jerking movement.
The second type of tool that can be used is a variable speed drill.
As previously mentioned, the use of any instrument with a percussion function is prohibited. Those. any hammer drills or impact drills must be strictly excluded from the working tool.
The use of an impact tool is allowed only for walls, respectively, after the tile has been drilled.
Drills for tiles, their brands and purpose
The next question is how to drill the tiles. Here it all depends on a number of factors, in particular:
- What size hole is needed.
- When drilling is done, before or after installation (also read more about tile installation)
- Also, the choice to some extent will depend on the amount of work.
Let's take a closer look at how to drill the tiles in different situations. In particular, if the tiles are laid, or before they are laid, and if necessary, make a small hole or a large one.
How to make holes in an already laid tile
The first step is to consider the most popular option, drilling the tiles after laying them. Answering the question with which drill to drill the tiles in the bathroom, one should first of all decide on the size of the hole. Detail how to cut tiles around an obstacle.
In the case of a small one, which is provided, for example, for dowels or fasteners for shelves, a good option would be to use a drill with a spear-shaped tip. An important factor in this case is the density of the material, since this indicator for a drill should be several times higher than that of a tile.
The best, but at the same time the most expensive option for such a product, is a diamond drill. But note that it is best to purchase it for a large amount of work. In order to make multiple holes, such a purchase is impractical.
For the home, you can purchase inexpensive drills with victorious soldering. They will be enough. In particular, the following brands are suitable for work:
- Biber 7705
- Bosch CYL-9
- Bosch CYL-9
These are the highest quality and most popular brands of lance drills. The average cost of one drill is 150-200 rubles.
Large diameter hole
And the second question, for an already laid tile, becomes what kind of drill to drill the tile to install the socket. Here the task already arises to make a large hole, and you need to think carefully about it.
Fortunately, everything has already been invented for you, and all that remains is to follow the advice. Thus, the answer to the question with which drill to drill the tile in this case is simple - this is a crown.
It is a kind of tubular drill with additional diamond coating. A good option would be to purchase a whole set of such drills to make holes of different diameters.
Although such an acquisition will be an excellent solution, it should be noted that this type of accessory is quite expensive. Although at the same time it helps to significantly save energy, while getting the best result.
With this type of drill, you can end up making fairly large holes, up to 15 centimeters. Let us stop here a little, and pay attention to several rules that must be observed when working with this kind of equipment.
- First of all, it is necessary to work at minimum speed. This helps protect the tile from cracking and also prevents rapid wear on the drill bit.
- And the second rule is the need for constant cooling of the drill, for which it is recommended to periodically lower it into water.
We also offer for consideration several of the highest quality brands of diamond core bits for tiles:
- Diamond for Hard Ceramics Bosch 2608580315
- Diamond for Hard Ceramics Bosch 2608580304
- Diamond for Hard Ceramics Bosch 2608580306
- Diamond for Hard Ceramics Bosch 2608580302
These bits are from one manufacturer, in particular Bosch. The cost of such a drill varies from 1,500 to 5,000 rubles.
Drills for the wrong tiles
And the second option, when it is necessary to drill a hole in a ceramic tile, is preparation for laying. Here, the need to make holes usually arises in two situations:
- Early preparation of holes for communication systems, sockets, switches and fasteners.
- Laying tiles in the presence of pipes and communication systems in the wall that protrude. Provided that there is no possibility of their temporary dismantling.
Here you can also consider several types of drills, in the first case for large holes, in the second - for small holes. But note that for the second situation, the same devices are used as for the already laid tiles, but for a larger diameter, a slightly different drill is used.
In this case, in the absence of an opportunity to purchase expensive equipment, a special type of drill - "ballerina" is used.
To begin with, let's figure out a little what a "ballerina" is. By its design, it is quite simple, and somewhat resembles a compass. The system of action is also similar. A point is placed in the center of the intended hole, and the cutter is moved away to the required distance.
The cutter itself is made of a special hard alloy, in some, more expensive models, diamond spraying takes place.
Using this kind of device has a good advantage. It consists in the ability to adjust the hole diameter. In particular, this allows you not to buy several models with different diameters, as is the case with a crown.
You can also notice a few shortcomings:
- First of all, difficulties in work, since the drill must be held strictly perpendicular to the tile, which is very difficult when working with large holes.
- In addition, after drilling, additional rework and processing of the edges is required, since they do not always come out perfectly straight.
For the rest, there are many more advantages, such as durability, low cost, and most importantly, a good answer to the question of how to drill holes in a tile.
Speaking a little about preparing the tile for such processing, it should be noted that it must be kept in water for 30-40 minutes before drilling. The work itself is carried out at low revs, and the tile must be held firmly. In addition, such work generates a lot of debris and dust, therefore it is advisable to use gloves, a respirator and goggles.
Ceramic tile drilling technology
And now, after analyzing the question of choosing a tool, you can go directly to solving the problem of how to drill a tile in a bathroom. In particular, we will analyze the technology of the work.
Drilling a tile with a drill is not a difficult task, but rather painstaking. It is important to follow a number of rules here in order not to damage the tiles. In particular:
- The work is carried out strictly at a low speed of rotation of the cartridge.
- When drilling, you must not press hard on the tool, it is better to completely reduce the pressure to a minimum, in order to avoid breaking the tile.
- It is necessary to monitor the temperature of the drill, it should not be heated. Otherwise, the tile may crack under the influence of high temperature. Therefore, it is necessary to periodically cool it with water.
Now, having considered the basic rules, we will analyze the question of how to properly drill a tile. Let's do it in the form of step-by-step instructions.
An important role is played by the tile itself, which is supposed to be drilled. In particular, its surface. Most of the rooms use glazed material. On this basis, the drill very often slips and slides out.
In order to avoid this problem, it is necessary to initially clearly fix it, for which the following activities are carried out:
- In the case of working with a small hole, you can scratch a groove into which the drill will fit. For this, a self-tapping screw or file is used.
For large holes, masking tape is used. By gluing it to the surface, you will completely protect yourself from this problem.
- And the last option is to mark with a correcting pencil. Thanks to it, the surface becomes rough, which avoids slipping of the drill.
After eliminating the problem with possible slipping of the drill, you can start the process itself:
- Press the end of the drill a little against the tile surface and start drilling.
- Everything is done, as already mentioned, at minimum speed.
- After the tile has been drilled, you can take a regular drill or punch for further work to make a hole in the wall.
- Upon completion of work, it is advisable to grind uneven cut holes. To do this, you can take a thin drill trimmed with sandpaper.
This completes the process. At the same time, it does not matter with which drill to drill the tile, for a large hole or a small one, the technological features in both cases coincide. The only difference is the need for a reliable fixing of the tiles, when drilling before laying.
By strictly following the recommendations, you can independently choose how to drill a hole in the tile, as well as make it. Thus, this will help to significantly save on the services of specialists, since on average one hole costs 150-200 rubles (not to mention the cost of the installation itself). Also, for a visual study, we suggest watching a video, which shows in detail how to drill a tile into a seam, how to make holes and more on the website
Which is the best electric tile cutters to choose for cutting water-cooled porcelain tiles. Rating of the best inexpensive models of tile cutters, comparison of characteristics and prices
Let's try to choose a hammer drill that is lightweight. Consider perforators with two and three modes and having two speeds and three modes. Manufacturers who produce professional models and do not overstate the cost of professional manufactured professional drills
Which grout is best. How to quickly and correctly grout tile joints with your own hands. There is a huge selection of grout: price, color and quality
How To Put Tiles In The Bathroom On The Floor And Walls Correctly, Video. Do-it-yourself Ceramic And Tiled Tile Laying Technology
A detailed video review on laying tiles on the floor with your own hands, tips and instructions from tiling specialists will help you lay tiles quickly and efficiently
Using tools such as drill, countersink, countersink, punch tool Drill tool Holes are made by drilling. For this purpose, use drills in the form of spirals, gimbals, electric and hand drills, etc. See the useful article on how to choose a drill for metal, concrete, wood correctly. The drill has a cutting and cylindrical working part, a shank that fits into the spindle (a rotating shaft with a fixture for fixing the drill, etc.) of the machine, and l