2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- Drywall as a base for tiles
- Tile selection
- Adhesive selection
- Laying technology
- Tools and materials
- Cleaning and priming
- Calculations and markup
- Laying tiles
- Helpful hints and tips
Laying tiles on drywall in the bathroom becomes a rather interesting question. In this process, there are many nuances that you need to know before starting work. In particular, this applies to both the choice of material and the installation process itself. That is why this issue should be given special attention.
Drywall as a base for tiles
Such a coating is used as a drywall arrangement, which has become quite popular, and at the same time a way to level the walls. Its recognition is due to a number of reasons, or rather advantages, such as:
- Versatility in use.
- Ease of installation and processing.
- Full compatibility with various decorative trim elements.
In addition, drywall can be used in any premises, including those with high humidity. Thus, laying tiles on drywall in the bathroom helps to give not only a complete, but at the same time almost flawless appearance of the room. At the same time, there is no difficulty in carrying out the work, even a beginner can handle it.
The only thing you should pay attention to is the correct choice of primer and materials, the tile itself and the adhesive mixture. The result of all work depends on their characteristics and quality. It is important what kind of drywall is laid under the tiles. Note that it must be moisture resistant.
It is recommended to provide that the gypsum plasterboard does not come into contact with water during operation. The ideal option is to pass the sheets with a bituminous or rubber waterproofing compound and then install the tiles on the gypsum board.
You should start with the selection of tiles. When choosing, one should rely on a certain number of characteristics, among which it is noted:
- The quality of the tiles and patterns. Here it must be said that there should be no defects, streaks or inconsistencies on the surface of the material. Including attention must be paid to the drawing itself - sometimes tiles with blurry patterns come across, this must be avoided.
- Smoothness of the surface. Note that perfectly flat tiles simply do not exist, in any case there are some irregularities, but at the same time, it is worth paying attention to the fact that the material should be as even as possible. You can determine this indicator by laying the tiles on top of each other, while paying attention to all the gaps, fit and possible swing.
- The reverse side of the tile. A drawing should be defined on it, in addition, the brand and name of the manufacturer's company should be clearly visible. Otherwise, if this is not visible or difficult to see, then the tile is of poor quality (cheap fake) and it is better not to take it.
- The hardness of the tiles. By eye, of course, such an indicator cannot be determined, of course, not taking into account the overheated tile, that is, very fragile. Here it is almost always necessary to experience everything empirically. You should lightly knock on the tile, if the sound from the impact is dull, the tile is of high quality, if it is sonorous, then it is fragile.
In addition, even before you go to the store, calculate how many tiles you need. It is recommended to immediately count in the number of tiles, and not in square meters. This is due to the fact that the squares can be miscalculated, since the thickness of the seams, the need for cutting and other production moments are not taken into account.
In addition to the selection of the tiles themselves, special attention must also be paid to the choice of the adhesive mixture. Among all the varieties of mixtures, one of the following types of glue must be chosen directly for laying on drywall:
- The first option is cement based glue. This option will be the most optimal, given that the installation is carried out on a cardboard base, and not on gypsum.
- It is also possible to use special elastic compounds. These are usually sold in a ready-to-use form, or as a dry mixture.
- And the last option is liquid nails. Such glue is the most expensive, but this determines its quality. It is also recommended to use it during installation as an additional element for gluing fallen off tiles.
Speaking a little more about the last option, we note that it is necessary to select a moisture-resistant brand.
And now let's move on to technology. In particular, we will fully consider the rules for laying tiles in the bathroom. First, you need to understand the stages into which the whole process is divided:
- Preparation of tools and materials.
- Surface cleaning and priming.
- Tiling and grouting.
Now you need to consider each of the points in more detail.
Tools and materials
First of all, when considering the order of laying the floor in a room, you should pay attention to the necessary materials and tools. Let's start with the materials:
- Tile adhesive.
And also consider tools, including:
- Level and rule.
- Plumb line.
- Level, preferably laser.
- Tile cutter or grinder.
- Several spatulas: regular, notched and rubber.
- Solution container.
- Construction mixer or drill with attachment.
That's all, you can go further.
Cleaning and priming
- The first stage of work is surface preparation.
- It implies a complete dismantling of the old coating.
- Then the installation of the frame for fixing the drywall and, accordingly, its fixing.
Next, the surface is cleaned from dust and primed.
The primer is carried out in several layers, between applying each layer it is necessary to wait for the old one to dry. In addition, the composition is applied vertically for the first layer, and horizontally for the second.
Calculations and markup
Now you need to mark up and count the required number of tiles.
To begin with, a sketch sketch of the layout diagram is made. After that, the length and width of the room (for the floor) or the length and height (for the walls) are divided by the corresponding tile dimensions. Thus, we get the number of rows, and the number of tiles in one row.
- If it is necessary to provide for carved pieces of tiles that are more than half the size of the tiles, then laying and marking must be carried out starting from the side that will be more striking. The tile for the carved parts is taken for a whole row.
- If the size of the carved part is less than half, then the installation must be carried out starting from the center of the room. This will make the tiles look more symmetrical, neat and elegant.
- For marking, it is recommended to perform a rough layout (in the case of flooring). This helps you see how the tiles will lay, determine the joint size, and also see where trimming is needed.
And it's time to figure out how to put tiles on drywall in the bathroom. Let's consider the whole process in the form of step-by-step instructions for easier perception.
- The first step is to prepare the adhesive solution. As we have already decided, the most optimal option would be to purchase a cement-based composition. All preparation is carried out strictly according to the instructions written on the package.
- Water is poured into the container, after which the glue mixture is gradually added to it, while it is necessary to stir the solution all the time. As already mentioned, a construction mixer or a drill with a special attachment is used for this.
- Also note that you should not immediately knead a large amount of glue, as it may begin to set and will no longer be suitable for use. The batch should be of such a volume that it will be used within 30-40 minutes.
- In the case of laying tiles on the wall, it is necessary to measure the height of the first row and put a boundary bar, on top of which the laying will be carried out. The first row is laid out last.
The work itself begins in two variations, either from the center of the wall, or from the edge, depending on the markings that were carried out earlier. A horizontal row is laid out from the bar, as well as a vertical one.
- It is imperative that after laying each element, it is necessary to check the horizontality and verticality of the level, as well as align the tiles with each other.
- In addition, the size of the seams must be controlled. For this, special crosses of the selected size are used, depending on the required seam thickness.
- Upon completion of the installation, a day later, grouting is carried out. In the case of flooring, this procedure is performed no earlier than 2-3 days later.
On this, the laying process can be considered complete.
Helpful hints and tips
And finally, we will provide you with a few tips that experts recommend following during styling:
- Without fail, tiles are laid only on moisture-resistant gypsum fiber sheets. Or, when laying on ordinary drywall sheets, it is necessary to provide special guides over the entire area in increments of 40 cm.
- When applying a primer, the minimum interval between each coat is an hour, but it will be better to wait until it is completely dry.
- The primer itself is applied with a brush or roller. It is also recommended to use a notched trowel, with which the composition is distributed after application.
- When laying tiles, it is pressed against the surface by hands, if necessary, a rubber hammer is used, which helps to adjust the thickness of the adhesive layer.
- The work itself is recommended to be carried out in several stages. In particular, lay 4-5 rows, let the glue seize for 1-2 hours to release tension, and then continue working.
- Laying the tiles under the bathtub may not be carried out, in the case when closed-type bathtubs are provided, which saves material.
- It is important to use a specific thickness of tile adhesive.
- After grouting, it is also necessary to cover the joints with a special compound for protection.
By observing all the tips and instructions provided, you will be able to lay the tiles yourself. In addition, to do it as efficiently as possible, at the same time to save on the services of a tiler, which are quite expensive today. We also recommend watching the videos below, which clearly show how to lay tiles.
Consider whether it is possible to lay tiles on drywall in the bathroom and which tile adhesive is better to choose. GKL preparation rules and tips on how to stick ceramic tiles with your own hands: video, photo
Possibility of laying tiles in the bathroom on GVL. Let's consider in detail how to properly lay tiles on drywall with your own hands and which tile adhesive is better to use
How To Put Tiles In The Bathroom On The Floor And Walls Correctly, Video. Do-it-yourself Ceramic And Tiled Tile Laying Technology
A detailed video review on laying tiles on the floor with your own hands, tips and instructions from tiling specialists will help you lay tiles quickly and efficiently
All kinds of options and methods for laying ceramic tiles on the hay and floor. The nuances and advantages of each of the methods, the alternation of colors and textures of the tiles. Basic, in ligation, modular and diagonal
Tips For Laying Ceramic Tiles On Walls And Floors. Advantages Of Ceramic Tiles, Tips For Choosing, Secrets. Surface Preparation For Tiles
Tabletop tips for laying ceramic tiles, the secrets of craftsmanship. Getting ready for tiling: 5 useful tips The advantages of ceramic tiles are obvious: being one of the most ancient materials used in decoration, tiles are an environmentally friendly product, durable, unpretentious in maintenance, waterproof, relatively inexpensive, presented in a large assortment. Consider a few tips for tiling with ceramic tiles, advantages, tips for choosing how to cut correctly