2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- Tips for choosing
- Dowel-nail for plasterboard
- Dowel-nails classification
- Installation differences
- Dimensions of dowel-nails
- Technical indicators of the dowel-nail
- What is a metal dowel-wedge
- Application features wedge anchor
- Factors affecting structural strength
- Base for nail dowels and wedge anchors
- How to properly attach a profile to the wall
- Installation of the guide profile
- Fastening hangers to the ceiling for plasterboard
- Video how to properly attach the suspension
- Installation features
- Useful Tips
When installing lightweight suspended structures, dowel-nails are used - ready-made fasteners. They are easily and quickly mounted in the wall, and shelves, paintings, mirrors, lamps, etc. are suspended from them. They are widely used in repair and finishing work, for example, when installing a gypsum plasterboard frame.
Tips for choosing
A dowel-nail consists of two elements: a dowel, which is inserted into a hole in the wall, and a nail, which is driven or screwed into the dowel if there is a thread on the rod. The hat has a slot, as a rule, for a Phillips screwdriver. Dowels made of polypropylene are suitable for installation in heated rooms, made of nylon - they are able to withstand sub-zero temperatures, so they can be used even outdoors.
You can use a dowel-nail for concrete, brick and foam concrete, it all depends on the design of the dowel. According to this principle, the following types are distinguished.
- Spacer - fixed by expanding the sleeve in the hole, its embossed surface limits the movement of the dowel.
- Universal - fastened in the hole due to the knot that is formed when screwing.
When buying a dowel-nails, pay attention to their size. The diameter can be from 5 to 8 mm - the larger it is, the heavier objects the fastener can withstand. The most common dowel nails for fastening a gypsum plasterboard profile frame to concrete size 6x40.
The length of the nail can be from 40 to 120 mm - the longer it is, the more reliably it will hold the suspended structure. Also consider the amount of fasteners in the package and make your choice based on the amount of work ahead. If you need a story with one shelf and several paintings, a package for 6 - 10 pieces is enough. When you need to fix a lot of items, it is better to take items with a margin, for example, 100 - 150 pieces.
Dowel-nail for plasterboard
When using drywall, you should choose the right fasteners. This factor determines not only the strength of the structure being created, but also the appearance, the service life of the structure, its technical characteristics - whether it is possible to burden this structure with various objects. For installation of the GKL frame. The type and number of selected dowels-nails depends on the type of frame, the selected profiles, they differ in the thickness of the material from which they are made, the material of the walls and ceiling. (Foam concrete, shell rock, concrete, brick, etc.)
For the installation of a metal frame, not only self-tapping screws are purchased, but also dowel-nails. These fasteners create the strength of the entire plasterboard frame. To use these fasteners, you should familiarize yourself with their characteristics. Improper use may adversely affect the metal frame.
In order to purchase a dowel-nails, factors should be taken into account:
- Estimated load on the fastener, on the surface itself.
- The base into which the dowel-nail will be attached is concrete, brick.
- Surface - ceiling, wall.
The fastening element is not uniform and is available in various sizes and structures.
Depending on the structural structure, the dowel with nails should be worked with various tools.
Manual fixation of the dowel-nail - in this case, 2 types of dowel-nails with different structures are used. Non-threaded nails are driven in with an ordinary hammer. Threaded - you will need a screwdriver or screwdriver.
Fixation with a construction and assembly gun. For this type of installation, dowel-nails with a metal sleeve are applicable. They are manufactured with a higher weight in mind.
Dimensions of dowel-nails
The fastener is available in various sizes. Depending on the focus, you should purchase a dowel-nail of the required size. Fasteners are marked with two numbers: the first shows the diameter, the second - the length of the fasteners.
|Dowel length||Nail length||Min through-depth||Max thickness of the mounted material||Weight 1000 pcs. per kg.|
|6/40||4 mm.||42mm.||50 mm.||10 mm.||3.3|
|6/60||4 mm.||62mm.||70 mm.||30 mm.||4.89|
|6/80||4 mm.||82mm.||90 mm.||50 mm.||7.28|
|8/60||5 mm.||62mm.||70 mm.||20 mm.||8.5|
|8/80||5 mm.||82mm.||90 mm.||40 mm.||11.02|
|8/100||5 mm.||102mm||110 mm.||60 mm.||13.78|
|8/120||5 mm.||122mm||130 mm.||80 mm.||16.53|
|8/140||5 mm.||142mm||115 mm.||100 mm.||19.3|
|10/100||7 mm.||102mm||150 mm.||50 mm.||15.32|
Technical indicators of the dowel-nail
According to the GOST 28457-90 indicators, dowel-nails are produced. They are processed - hardness 53-56HRC. But they may have a deviation of 51 / 5HRC.
- The rod can be bent according to the factory setting: with a length of 50mm. - 0.1mm curvature; length is more than 50mm. - 0.15mm.
- There should be no rolls or cracks on the nail. The nail should be sharp if the dullness is 0.8 mm. - it is considered unusable.
- Versatility is possible at the tip of the nail.
- There may be a washer on the nail. Its shear requires a force of 0.3 kN.
Dowel nails are made with anti-corrosion zinc layer. It should be no less than 6 microns.
What is a metal dowel-wedge
This fastener is usually called a metal wedge anchor. It is made of metal. The word "anchor" is translated as "anchor".
The metal dowel for drywall has a different installation technology. The movable part of the fastener is driven in with a hammer, due to which the dowel is wedged into the surface.
According to GOST, 2 types of metal dowels for drywall are produced: 6/40 and 6/60, where 6 is the diameter in mm, 40 (60) is the length in mm. The wedge anchor goes on sale in packages - 100, 200 pcs.
How to drive a metal dowel wedge quickly with a puncher, watch the video.
Application features wedge anchor
The wedge anchor is made of galvanized steel or stainless steel. Used carbon steel, coated with white or yellow zinc. The anchor head bears the manufacturer's mark indicating the density of the metal used.
Basically, these metal wedge fasteners are made for fastening profiles or hangers to the base and is the recommended fastening.
The wedge anchor is produced in the form of a metal rod. There is a stop cap at one end and a wedge-shaped end stop at the other. When mounting, an anchor is placed in the hole made and its movable part is hammered with a hammer. In this case, the wedges diverge in different directions, thereby fixing the fastening element in the ceiling. The wedge anchor is characterized by a particularly reliable attachment to the base.
Factors affecting structural strength
In order for the wedge anchor to have a long shelf life, as well as maintain strength, there are some factors that affect these indicators:
- The wedge anchor is driven into a void-free base. Thus, the fastening strength appears.
- At high humidity, the concrete base will constantly absorb moisture, which may cause premature metal corrosion.
- If pressure (movement, vibration) is constantly applied to the base into which the wedge anchor is mounted, the wedge will soon break out.
- If a moving part - a rod - remains above the surface, this means that the anchor has not fully opened. In this case, the service life is limited.
- Contact with chemical solutions is inadmissible. They will destroy the fastener.
Comparative table with which you can determine the strength of the anchor-wedge:
|Wedge anchor length, mm.||40||60|
|Maxthickness of the fixed material, mm.||five||eight|
|Drill diameter for hole, mm||6||6|
|Min hole depth for anchor, mm.||45||65|
|Pull-out force minKN from concrete B25||3.60||five|
|Weight 1000 pcs, kg.||10.70||16.05|
Separately, it should be noted that for fire safety, all suspended structures are supposed to be fastened with metal wedges with anchors.
Base for nail dowels and wedge anchors
In order for the fastener to have a long service life, you should know what the base should be:
- Reinforced concrete ceiling - slabs in apartment buildings.
- Concrete is a floor in an apartment or poured concrete in a private house.
- Solid brick. There are several types of this material: ceramic, silicate, clinker bricks. Each material has its own density, the service life of fasteners depends on it. Such material can be encountered in private buildings.
- Foam concrete blocks. In the absence of a cavity in them, you need to know the density of the foam block.
Dowel-nails, anchor-wedges are not mounted in a wooden base, as well as in walls made of foam blocks and other hollow materials. Since the spacers will not be fixed in the base, but mainly in the void, which will not give the required strength.
How to properly attach a profile to the wall
Before attaching a metal profile to the wall, you should have a set of tools and materials:
Profile - the guide profile is mainly galvanized. This gives reliability in the design being created. The calculation is done using an online calculator or on our own. The material is required to be taken with a margin.
Dowel nails for fastening the profile - for a solid wall of size 6/40. If it is based on wood, then 25mm self-tapping screws are applicable.
Drill with 6mm drill bit. and a screwdriver. Before using electrical tools, it is required to calculate the load on the electrical wiring.
Scissors for cutting metal. In the process of mounting the guide profile, it is sometimes necessary to make an incision on a metal product or cut it off.
Installation of the guide profile
To carry out the installation of the guide profile, a prepared surface with ready-made markings is required. How to fix the profile to the wall? Installation is carried out in the following sequence of actions:
- First of all, the guide profile is applied to the marking (the line can pass both from the inside and from the outside - depending on the nuances that arise)
- Further, on the profile, you need to mark the places for future fasteners. Basically, it is required to retreat from the edge of the profile to 15 cm maximum, the second fastener is located at 25 cm. from the first and so on - every 25cm.
- If there are no holes in the profile, they are made independently. Even if there are data marked places by the plant, according to the masters, one should be made exactly in the middle between the holes for the strength of the structure.
- The drill should be 6 mm in diameter and 50 mm in length. if the drill is longer, you should mark the border on it, this can be easily done with electrical tape or tape.
- A plastic dowel is inserted into the hole made both in the base and in the profile. It is hammered into place with a hammer. This should be done carefully, since deformation may occur during its installation. Then the plastic part will become unusable.
- After mounting the first plastic part of the dowel, a threaded nail is mounted using a screwdriver. The deeper the nail enters the component, the more it opens up fixing all the fasteners with special antennae.
- If the profile is longer than required, it is cut with metal scissors.
- If you want to finish the profile, then you can use special extensions.
- At the border of the profiles, you should retreat 15 cm from each end and fix the guide dowel-nails.
The screwdriver should not be set at high speed, so as not to drive the nail more than it should be in the plane, while bending the profile.
The guide profile is an integral part of the entire metal structure for drywall, so its fixation must be strong and of high quality.
Fixing the profile to the ceiling or fixing the frame of the walls under the gypsum board are similar in their technology.
Fastening hangers to the ceiling for plasterboard
How are plasterboard hangers attached? Many will answer this question “dowel-nails are used”. This is wrong, because the suspension takes over the load of the entire plasterboard ceiling. When hanging weight, over time, the dowel does not hold the nail and comes out of the surface. The result is sagging and deformation of the suspended ceiling. According to experts, the wedge anchor is the best fastener. How to attach profile hangers? For the strength of the erected structure, the metal wedge anchor, size 6/40, is fixed in the side holes of the suspension. Installation is carried out as follows:
- A hole with a diameter of 6 mm is made according to the marked marking on the ceiling, the depth of the hole is 40 mm.
- This hole is free of dust (you can blow it out yourself).
- A suspension is attached to the holes made.
- The wedge anchor is inserted into the suspension eye and the hole until it stops.
- After that, a sticking rod is driven in with an ordinary hammer. With each blow, it goes tighter into the concrete surface. This suggests that the anchor elements are straightened in different directions, thereby fixing the entire fastening element.
Installation of one anchor takes 10 seconds. Such fixation of suspensions is the most durable in comparison with the use of dowel-nails.
How far should the profile hangers be fixed? The strength of a plasterboard suspended ceiling directly depends on suspensions. The hangers are mounted on a marked line for the ceiling profile. On this line, every 40-60 cm, suspensions are fastened with anchor wedges. The distance depends on the material of the suspension. If the metal is thin, then the corresponding distance will be 40cm.
It is allowed to use dowels when creating a box on the ceiling. This design does not make the dowel-nail heavier due to the low weight of the plasterboard box.
Video how to properly attach the suspension
When installing the profile dowel-nails to the walls, certain difficulties may arise. To avoid this, you should familiarize yourself with certain nuances:
- When installing in a brick wall, determine the location of the dowel-nail. If the fasteners fall on the border (mortar) between the brick, then there is a high probability that it will pop out. As the solution can crumble.
- Before drilling a wall, you should know for sure that electrical wires do not pass through there. Otherwise, a short circuit will occur.
- If metal reinforcement passes through the wall, this will also negatively affect the hole.
- For correct mounting of the dowel-nail, it is required to make holes with a diameter the same as the dowel (6mm.).
- It is necessary to drill the wall at a low speed so that the material does not come out of the surface in a single piece, and a large hole is formed.
- When driving in the dowel, the stop collar will prevent the fastener from falling into the hole. Therefore, the dowel should be driven in carefully.
If the hole turned out to be large and the dowel does not hold, this can be corrected in the following ways:
- tighten the self-tapping screw nearby;
- if possible, drill with a large diameter with the choice of the appropriate dowel;
- insert a plastic dowel and drip a little polyurethane foam there. It will increase overnight, press down on the plastic part and harden. Only after that you can screw in a nail there and remove excess foam;
- squeeze liquid nails into the hole;
- insert the plastic part of the dowel-nail into the hole, apply plaster. It will dry out overnight, after screwing in the nail.
On the ceiling structure, it is better to use an iron wedge anchor for a suspended ceiling, because in the event of a fire it does not melt, but holds the metal structure. And for securely attaching straight ceiling hangers, this is the best way to hold the structure.
But, if the ceiling is leveled with plasterboard in an old panel house, then a plastic dowel-nail can be used. It wedges better and holds the metal frame.
In addition, check out the varieties of dowels for fixing directly to the gypsum board sheet.
Installation Of A Plasterboard Ceiling: Instructions On How To Install, Diagram, Video And Detailed Photo
Step-by-step installation of drywall on the ceiling with your own hands, using video and photos. Detailed instructions on how to mount drywall to the ceiling. The correct technology for installing the frame of the GKL ceiling structure independently
Interpretation Of Designations And Markings Of Gypsum Plasterboard Sheets, Brands And Sizes Of Drywall And Profile
Varieties of drywall sheets by type and characteristics. Advantages and disadvantages of the material and which one is better to use. Table and names of profiles of posts and rails
Ceiling Profile For Plasterboard Ceiling Structures. Creating A Frame For A Plasterboard Ceiling: Assembly And Installation Instructions
What you need to know about the ceiling profile and the structure of the metal frame. Types and features of the choice of the manufacturer of the profile for the ceiling. What kind of profile for plasterboard and what size to use in what cases, what dimensions will be needed, how they differ from each other. Installation rules, step-by-step instructions with photo + video
Decorating The Walls Of The Kitchen, Bathroom, Toilet With Plastic Panels. DIY PVC Installation, Photo. How To Fix Plastic Video Panels
In our time, it has become very popular to make the decoration of premises with PVC panels
Varieties Of Self-tapping Screws For A Profile On Drywall. Description Of The Types Of Self-tapping Screws For Drywall. Selection For Different Frameworks, Calculation Of Quantities And Installation
How to choose self-tapping screws for drywall types and sizes. How to choose the right self-tapping screw for fastening a profile with or without a drill. Detailed photos and expert advice on fastening