2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- Application of polyurethane adhesive
- How to prepare the base for pasting with expanded polystyrene?
- Preparation of dry mixes
- How to prepare glue
- Cooking glue from a dry mixture - useful tips
- Popular brands of glue for expanded polystyrene
- Video on working with expanded polystyrene
Pasting the exterior walls of a house with expanded polystyrene plates is a reliable way to insulate a home. At present, the fixing of expanded polystyrene to the wall is carried out in two ways: the use of one-component polyurethane glue (packaging - a balloon) or the use of dry mixes (usually they are packed in bags).
Application of polyurethane adhesive
One-component polyurethane adhesive is used for bonding foam boards and extruded polystyrene foam Mounting adhesive for expanded polystyrene is used in work on external insulation of walls of houses. The composition of the adhesive contains polymers of isocyanates, which are distinguished by a high level of viscosity, which contributes to a rapid initial setting. As a result of the reaction of moisture in the atmosphere and isocyanates, the adhesive hardens.
Polyurethane foam adhesive, advantages:
- high level of adhesion (adhesion) to polystyrene foam and to the base;
- convenience and ease of use;
- foam for fixing expanded polystyrene allows you to work at lower temperatures than with dry adhesive mixtures;
- the use of glue contributes to a significant reduction in the time required for wall insulation.
Consumption of this type of glue: one cylinder is enough for gluing a polystyrene foam plate with an area of 5-6 m 2.
How to prepare the base for pasting with expanded polystyrene?
- The substrate must be free of dirt and substances that reduce adhesion: fats, oils, paintwork. Use solvents or pressurized water for removal. Dry the surface after exposure to water.
- The base must be strong, as determined by tapping.
- If there is fungus or moss on the surface, we clean it with a steel brush, then treat it with fungicidal preparations.
- If the base consists of a highly absorbent material (silicate blocks, aerated concrete, aerated concrete), the surface must be primed and allowed to dry.
Working with foam for fixing polystyrene foam
- We apply glue, stepping back from the edge of the expanded polystyrene 20 mm, along the perimeter and in one diagonal line.
- We apply a polystyrene foam plate, press it lightly.
- The position of the plate can be adjusted within 20 minutes.
- The gaps between the boards should not be more than 2 mm, the boards must be glued in the same plane.
- After 2 hours, you can fix the expanded polystyrene with expansion dowels.
Preparation of dry mixes
This type of glue for gluing polystyrene foam consists of a polymer-cement mixture, including mineral fillers. The glue prepared from dry mixes is plastic, quickly hardens, has a high level of adhesion to the surface (adhesion), and is easy to use.
To prepare the glue you will need:
- water bucket;
- container for glue;
- a blade to mix the glue (you can use a drill, or better a specially designed tool);
- hooting mixture.
How to prepare glue
Consider, as an example, the preparation of glue for expanded polystyrene boards. To do this, you must follow the sequence of certain actions:
Pour water into the bucket. The volume of water is calculated using the formula based on the amount of glue (for 1 kg of dry mixture - 0.24 l of water). For example, for 6 kg of mixture - 1.44 liters of water.
We measure out the required amount of dry mixture, in our example - 6 kg.
Gradually add the mixture to the water, mix thoroughly. Stir until the lumps disappear.
Let the mixture stand for 5-10 minutes.
Stir the resulting mixture again. Glue for gluing polystyrene foam is ready.
Consumption of glue from a dry mixture when fixing expanded polystyrene to the wall is about 6 kg per 1 m 2.
Cooking glue from a dry mixture - useful tips
- Water and all containers used for preparation of glue must be clean.
- Do not mix the glue from the previous batch, which remained in the container, with a new batch - this can lead to premature glue setting.
- The rotation speed of the blade when using a drill or special mixer should not exceed 300 rpm.
- The paddle must be completely submerged in the mixture, otherwise air bubbles may form, which will halve the adhesive's ability to bond.
- Dry mix glue should be used within 2 hours.
Popular brands of glue for expanded polystyrene
- Penosil - glue-foam, has excellent sealing and adhesive properties.
- Knauf Sevener is a dry mix, has a lime-cement base, contains special additives and fibers that provide a high level of adhesion and crack resistance.
- Technonikol - glue-foam, used for expanded polystyrene and extruded polystyrene foam, resistant to moisture, aging, mold.
- Cerezit is a foam adhesive with good water resistance and thermal insulation properties.
- Bitumast - adhesive for extruded polystyrene foam, made on the basis of bitumen, solvent, filler and plasticizer. Not afraid of low temperatures, creates additional surface waterproofing.
Video on working with expanded polystyrene
Ways To Speed Up Work With Drywall, The Secrets Of The Masters Of Installers On Working With A Video Profile
Fast and correct work with drywall, tips that will simplify installation and save you from mistakes when working with a profile, frame lathing and plasterboard sheathing
Do I need to plaster the foam block inside the house, especially the puttying technique. Recommendations for plastering foam blocks with tile adhesive. How to choose a mesh for foam block plaster, the choice of mixture
Insulating The Walls Of The Apartment From The Inside With Expanded Polystyrene: Features, Tips, Video
Wall insulation methods have many features, they are given to internal insulation, which has a lot of its own characteristics and disadvantages
Incorrect installation will lead to the formation of mold on the walls and mildew. Styrofoam and expanded polystyrene should be used under screeds to insulate attic and other enclosed spaces
How to get rid of cracks and chips in the wall and repair a hole in the drywall yourself, repair methods using improvised materials to putty damage