2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- Reasons for the appearance of a gap between the bathroom and the wall
- Joint sealing methods
- Sealing the joint with mortar
- Polyurethane foam when sealing a joint
- Gap Sealant Application
- Plastic skirting board for the joint between the bathroom and the wall
- Exterior finish of the joint between the bathroom and the wall
When the main repair work in the bathroom is completed, it remains to hide all the flaws that are striking. One of the main challenges faced when renovating a bathroom is the joint between the wall and the bathroom. This gap can be minimal, or it can be large, but one way or another, it needs to be closed. The correct method of sealing will help not only improve the aesthetic appearance of the bathroom, but also prevent moisture from entering the gap and the formation of fungus.
Reasons for the appearance of a gap between the bathroom and the wall
Bathtub manufacturers adhere to certain standards, making acrylic, cast iron or steel bathtubs in only certain sizes. Most often, the length of the bath is of two options - 150 and 170 cm. If the bathroom is small, consumers choose the first option, the second case is suitable for larger rooms.
However, there are times when the dimensions of the bathroom do not quite fit the length of the installation site. Then, you have to deal with the formation of a gap between the bathroom and the wall. If the gap is not eliminated, a number of problems arise: the risk of flooding of neighbors, the formation of mold, the appearance of insects that love dampness. To avoid such troubles, you must:
- At the initial stage of bathroom renovation, check the evenness of the walls. The angle of the wall should be equal to 90 degrees, otherwise gaps will appear not only in one place, but also where the wall is deformed. When the bathroom bowl is unevenly against the wall, cracks are formed.
- When installing the bath, make sure that the bowl is flat on the floor surface. To do this, you need to adjust the height of the legs to the required level.
The gap cannot be avoided if the bathtub is shorter than the wall along which it will be installed. In this case, you will have to hide the joint by choosing a suitable termination method.
Joint sealing methods
If the joint cannot be avoided, you can resort to some tricks, for example, install an additional wall of plasterboard, or try to break the wall and install a longer bath. These methods will take a long time and require extra space in the bathroom. More often than not, such methods do not solve the problem of joining the bathroom with the wall, so you have to close the joint manually.
Sealing the joint with mortar
The most popular way that craftsmen have been using for many generations is to seal the joint with mortar. Usually, after laying the tiles, some tile adhesive or cement remains. These mixtures can be used to seal the joint between the bathroom and the wall. The solution allows you to close up a very small gap, because if there is a wide gap, the solution simply cannot hold between the wall and the bathroom. This method is considered the roughest sealing method, because after working with the mortar, you will need to give the joint an aesthetic look.
The procedure for sealing the gap between the bathroom and the wall is as follows:
- First, you need to completely clean the gap from dirt, dust, foreign objects, remnants of old finishing materials;
- Treat the wall at the junction with a primer for subsequent better adhesion;
- Prepare the solution as indicated on the package. It is better to make the mixture a little thicker than usual so that the mass is dense and does not fall out of the joint;
- Apply the mortar to the gap with a spatula and level;
- After drying, finish the joint between the bathroom and the wall with materials of your choice. Usually, in such cases, a plastic baseboard or border is glued.
Polyurethane foam when sealing a joint
Polyurethane foam has a special property. As it dries, it begins to grow. Therefore, if there was no previous experience with foam, it is better to trust the masters. If you have the knack for using foam, you can use this method of sealing the joint.
The foam allows you to close a gap up to 8 cm in size. A cylinder of polyurethane foam is almost always equipped with a special long spout, with which the mass is fed evenly. Experts recommend using finely porous foam when working in rooms with high humidity. Remember that the foam must be moisture resistant.
The process of sealing the joint between the bathroom and the wall takes place in several stages:
- Surface preparation: clean the joint and treat it with a degreasing liquid, dry;
- Apply masking tape to the joint on the wall and on the bathroom, so that later you do not have to clean these surfaces of dried foam;
- Shake the can of polyurethane foam and apply foam into the gap using a nozzle. It is worth applying the foam evenly and gradually, due to its tendency to increase in the future. It is better to work with gloves, since if it gets on your hands, construction foam does not come off well when it dries;
- Wait until the foam is completely dry. This usually takes about 7 hours;
- Carefully remove excess parts of dried polyurethane foam with a sharp knife;
- Make the finish of the joint.
Polyurethane foam for sealing joints is good for its speed and ease of use.
Gap Sealant Application
Small gaps that arise during the installation of the bathtub can be eliminated with sealed silicone. He copes with this task perfectly, both in aesthetic terms and in terms of protection from moisture. A layer of sealant tightly closes the gap between the wall and the bathroom, while being resistant to moisture and temperature extremes.
When choosing a silicone sealant, please note: the package should indicate that the product is intended specifically for the bathroom. Such a sealant will have antibacterial properties that prevent mold growth. Sealants can be clear, white or colored. If in the future the sealed joint will be hidden under the finish, you can use a white sealant.
The process of sealing a joint with a sealant is quite simple:
- Remove dirt, remnants of the finish at the joint;
- Treat bathroom surfaces and walls with a degreasing agent, let dry;
- Punch a hole in the sealant tube. Keep in mind that the larger the hole, the thicker the application layer will be. Insert a tube of sealant into a special assembly gun and draw a flat, uninterrupted strip at the junction of the bathroom and the wall;
- While the product is not dry, use a sponge with soapy water to level the layer and remove excess;
- Once dry, the seam should be masked in any way desired.
The use of a sealant for sealing joints in the bathroom has recently become very popular due to its antiseptic properties and elasticity.
Plastic skirting board for the joint between the bathroom and the wall
Such a plinth is very popular because it has rich colors and low cost. Some skirting boards on the inside, which is glued to the joint, have rubberized inserts, which additionally seal the gap between the bathroom and the wall.
There are PVC skirting boards with a ready-made adhesive base on sale, but it is not recommended to use such options for the bathroom. Due to the high humidity, the adhesive side will be unstable and will quickly come off the surface.
It is advised to glue the plastic baseboard on waterproof glue or liquid nails. It is advisable to choose the glue colorless and quick-drying, because when gluing the skirting board, you will have to press it with your hands before the glue grabs.
When installing the plinth yourself, follow this procedure:
- Degrease the work surface and dry;
- Measure and cut the plastic skirting board into pieces as needed. In places where the plinth will connect to each other at the corners - cut at an angle of 40 degrees;
- Along the perimeter of the bathroom, where the plinth will run, stick masking tape to avoid glue;
- Apply glue evenly over the entire joint;
- Apply the plinth to the applied glue and press down for 20 seconds;
- Wait a little while to dry and peel off the masking tape.
Do not let the glue or sealant that will hold the skirting board onto the surface of the tub or tile. Over time, this product may darken or turn yellow, which will be noticeable on the finishing surface.
Exterior finish of the joint between the bathroom and the wall
After sealing the joint with any chosen method, the question arises of how to hide the sealed gap. Experts offer several options:
- Using border tape. The elastic tape made of polypropylene makes it easy to hide the joint from the outside. Such finishing of the seam does not require additional decor, and will also protect the joint well from moisture. From the inside, the tape is impregnated with an adhesive base, which is attached to the joint. The ribbons come in different widths and colors. However, there is a downside to the coin when choosing this method. The tape is not durable, and even with proper care it will last no more than 2 years.
- Ceramic border. This option will be ideal when you want to repeat the texture of the laid tiles. When properly laid, the curb creates a smooth transition from the wall to the bathroom. Such borders are selected separately for the main color of the tile. Installation of borders is done with tile glue.
When completing the repair, do not forget about the visual beauty of the bathroom, and choose exactly the method of sealing the joint that will not violate the aesthetics of the room.
Varieties of foam assembly guns and the criteria for the right choice. What is better to choose and what are the differences between the models and whether you need to overpay when buying an assembly gun
Consider installation options in an apartment and technical features of storage and flow tanks. A flow-through water heater is more often installed in apartments with frequent disconnection of centralized water supply or in houses where it is not provided. The unit has enough power to supply warm water from one tap
Reasons for the appearance and methods of repair. Self-repair of cracks in brick walls. What mixtures and materials for filling cracks to use. The use of mesh, canvas and fiberglass in the fight for a beautiful wall without cracks
A Variety Of Ideas For Wall Decoration With Wallpaper. How Wall Design Can Be Formed With Wallpaper: Concept Descriptions, Popular Techniques And Photos
Modern wallpaper design is based on the basic principles of combining colors and textures. There are several basic options that you can use when doing DIY repairs
How to get rid of cracks and chips in the wall and repair a hole in the drywall yourself, repair methods using improvised materials to putty damage