2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- Natural and chemical cleaning agents for cast iron bathtubs
- What cannot be used for cleaning
- Folk cleaning methods
- To remove rust
- To restore the original whiteness
- For removing limescale
- Routine cleaning
- Popular products from the category household chemicals
Despite the fact that the world has stepped forward and began to invent new types of baths, the faithful cast iron does not disappear anywhere. Modern manufacturers have begun to actively release new versions of cast iron baths, and most people prefer them. This article focuses on how to effectively clean a cast iron bathtub so as not to damage the coating while still removing the most popular stains.
Natural and chemical cleaning agents for cast iron bathtubs
A good bathroom cleaner can be one of two types:
Natural cleaning products are available in every housewife in the kitchen, their use is attributed to the folk methods of cleaning, well known to today's grandmothers. These include: soda, salt, vinegar, borax, turpentine, lemon juice, dry mustard, ammonia, starch and, of course, laundry soap. All of them are characterized by ecological cleanliness and 100% harmlessness to the human body. With the help of the above-described products, you can get an excellent result and, like chemical creams or powders, clean the bath from yellowness, limescale, rust, soap traces.
The use of chemical methods similarly gives good results, but can harm health (especially for allergy sufferers) or the bath itself. Therefore, it is very important to follow a few rules when buying them:
- It is worth reading the information about the tool, what varieties it is suitable for, carefully studying the manufacturer's recommendations.
- The gel / powder / cream / paste you buy must not be aggressive or contain high levels of chemicals. The purpose of the product is gentle cleaning and disinfection.
- The product must be safe for human health. In this case, you still need to work with rubber gloves, because even a small amount of chemicals can harm if exposed to open contact.
- It is important to pay attention to the smell, it should not be caustic and too harsh, so that you do not have to air the bathroom for an hour.
- Consider the price. If financial resources are limited, but it is worth buying expensive chemicals one-time, it is better to initially choose a more suitable option.
Based on personal beliefs and finances, each housewife, over time, independently determines the best remedy for cleaning the bath.
What cannot be used for cleaning
The cast iron bath is quite durable, which cannot be said about its coating. Old-fashioned bathtubs have always been covered with porous enamel, while modern coatings have a glossy surface and a dense structure. This raises the question of how to clean the bath so as not to harm any of the varieties of its coatings? For this, the following means and tools cannot be used:
- abrasive cleaners;
- cleaning agents and solutions containing concentrated hydrochloric acid (for example, "Silit" or "Sanitary 2");
- brushes with metal teeth;
- fiberglass sponges;
- blade, knife and similar sharp objects of improvised use.
Failure to observe these rules, the surface of the coating will be destroyed, lose its luster, and become rough to the touch.
- it is undesirable to leave the bath wet, it is better to take a minute and wipe it with a dry soft cloth;
- give preference to loyal liquid gels or creamy solutions;
- if you need to rub a heavily soiled area, you can use a washcloth or an old toothbrush.
It is advisable to wash the bath soon after using it, then the dirt will not have time to be absorbed and it can be removed with ordinary soapy water;
Folk cleaning methods
Our grandmothers know how to clean a cast-iron bath from all kinds of pollution, who have been using proven folk methods for many decades in a row.
To remove rust
How to clean the bath from rust is described in the following recipes:
- With soda. To clean the bath with soda, you need to immediately wet the surface a little, then apply the substance to the rusty places, rub it gently with a soft damp sponge. In addition, baking soda perfectly disinfects and deodorizes.
- With borax and vinegar. It is necessary to connect them together in equal amounts, moisten a cloth in the resulting solution, wipe the rusty parts of the bath.
- With salt and turpentine. Prepare a thick gruel, apply to dirty places. Helps not only get rid of rust, but also prevent its reoccurrence.
To restore the original whiteness
The following tools will help you to clean the bath from yellowness and return the coating to its original cleanliness:
- Vinegar. To clean the bath with vinegar, you need to moisten paper napkins or rags in it, then cover the entire area of the bath with them, leave for half an hour. Vinegar oxidizes and disinfects well.
- Powdery whiteness. Dilute the whiteness with water until a thick gruel is obtained, then apply it to the entire surface. Hold for at least half an hour, then rinse well. This method is even suitable for cleaning an old bath in a state of disrepair.
- Toothpaste. It is applied locally to problem areas or around the entire perimeter.
For removing limescale
The following methods will tell you how to clean the bath from plaque and forget about it forever:
- With the help of ammonia. Apply the solution to problem areas, leave for a while, then rub and rinse if necessary. Ammonia is very easy to use, it is convenient for them to process the entire surface.
- Using soda and dry mustard powder. Combine in a ratio of 1: 3, clean the bath. Will overcome not only plaque, but also rust. Ideal blend for regular weekly cleansing.
- Using a mixture of vinegar and salt. This method is especially suitable for those housewives who have deposits or stains from hard water on the bathroom.
- With lemon juice. This method will be a good addition to one of the methods of dealing with plaque, and it alone is rather weak. Lemon juice is indispensable for preventing plaque reoccurring, you just need to rub it occasionally over the areas where plaque usually forms.
So that you do not have to puzzle over how to wash the bath from rust and deposits, you need to constantly keep it clean. The following natural remedies will become indispensable for routine cleaning:
- Soda combined with laundry soap. Cleans and disinfects effectively.
- Starch in tandem with salt. They perfectly clean and disinfect cast iron bathtubs, promote their bleaching.
Now every housewife knows how to clean the bathtub at home without buying purchased household chemicals.
Popular products from the category household chemicals
The range of household chemicals is very impressive. After analyzing the reviews of housewives, you can make a rating of the most popular bathroom cleaning products:
- Comet is a popular bath cleaner that can be purchased in gel or powder form. Easily removes common dirt, but for more serious dirt requires physical effort. It has an unpleasant odor, which is why it is not recommended for allergy sufferers. In all manufactured forms it contains small abrasive particles, which makes it well suited for cast iron baths.
- Sun Wedge. Does not contain abrasives and phosphates, ideally suits all types of baths, does not have a pronounced odor. Sold in the form of a spray, easy to apply. Effectively removes common soap stains, dirt, as well as heavier dirt (rust, plaque, etc.). San Wedge is the perfect combination of price and quality.
Mr. Chister. The cleaning solution is a professional product for the entire bathroom, applied with a spray bottle. Suitable for all types of coatings. Smells good, disinfects, removes all types of dirt, removes mold.
- Frosch is a good bath cleaner with the addition of grape acids. Easy to spray, easy to rinse, cleans well, suitable for all surfaces. Smells good, safe for the environment, including humans.
- Mister Bath Muscle. Convenient to use thanks to the atomizer, smells good, suitable for all types. Good for general cleaning and stain removal, but does not always overpower rust.
- This bath product is made from natural ingredients. It is highly appreciated for its excellent quality and 100% product safety. He can handle any stains, has a pleasant smell, does not cause allergies.
- Dakotoron. Used for cleaning all possible surfaces in the bathroom. Copes with stains of any complexity, destroys fungus, disinfects. It does not include surfactants, chlorine and phosphates. Used for all types of coatings.
- Arch Effect. Has a liquid form, carefully cleans all surfaces with high quality, gives shine. Covers the coating with a special layer that repels water, preventing the appearance of plaque and other contaminants.
This is not the entire list of possible remedies that can be used to effectively clean a cast-iron bath at home.
The right choice of heating radiators, which is better to choose for an apartment and your house, depending on the number of storeys, aluminum, bimetallic (aluminum-steel, aluminum-copper), steel, cast iron
Installing a bathtub with your own hands is not difficult, knowing the important points of installation work and not making mistakes, otherwise you can pay with your own time and money
Boiler maintenance consists in cleaning the tank from rust and scale accumulated in it. You need to independently, carefully remove the cover of the water heater, it is important not to damage the ten
Having a desire to update an old bathtub, you will be able to paint your bathtub cheaply with your own hands, it is only important to know the secrets that will help you in this endeavor
Ways to repair a cast iron bath with your own hands? Preparing for repairs, sealing chips, painting with acrylic enamels or installing an acrylic liner. Which method is better, each of them has its own characteristics that must be taken into account