2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- What is grout for?
- Varieties of grout for tiles, their pros and cons
- How to match the grout color?
- Overview of tile grout manufacturers
When the tiles in the bathroom have already been laid, the only thing left is to rub the seams between the tiles. In order to do this, you need to choose the right grout. Today there are a wide variety of grouting products. They vary in composition, purpose, manufacturer and color. The grout should not only create a beautiful appearance, but also protect the seams from moisture and the formation of fungus.
What is grout for?
Grout for joints between tiles is a special powder or a ready-made paste-like mass of a certain color, made of polymers and cement. Some tile grout options are made only white, and the dye is added just before using the paste. If the grout is selected correctly, it will help to harmoniously emphasize the entire integrity of the tile, or vice versa, to highlight the existing pattern from the tile on the wall. In this regard, the choice of grout shade depends on what the final result should be.
The main task of the grout is to prevent moisture from entering the seams and under the tile floor itself. If there is no grouting mixture, debris, dust, various insects can get under the tiles, because of this, the microflora will be disturbed. If you do not trowel the tiles, then soon the tiles will not stay on the wall or floor for a long time, and you will have to spend again on repairs.
When choosing a trowel mixture, first of all, you need to pay attention to its quality. Even if the grout has beautiful decorative properties, it does not mean that it can prevent the appearance of mold and mildew under the tiles, which are very difficult to get rid of over time.
Varieties of grout for tiles, their pros and cons
Today, among the trowel mixtures, the following types are distinguished:
Cement. This type of grouting mixture is considered the most popular among both professionals and home craftsmen. These grouts are powders based on cement. In addition to the main component, materials are added to the grout that give the mixture elasticity and moisture resistance. The disadvantage of cement grout is long-term drying, poor color palette. This grout can be used to fill joints up to 0.5 cm wide.
- Cement and sand. It differs from the cement mixture only in that it contains sand. This makes it possible to use a grout for wider joints. But if glazed tiles were chosen for decoration, then manufacturers do not recommend the use of cement-sand mixtures, due to the fact that they can damage the glossy surface of the tile.
- Furanic. These are black grouts, which are most often used on a production scale. The mixture is based on resin, which gives this color. Such grouts are highly durable and resistant to chemical elements. The disadvantages of such grouting are high cost and complexity of use.
Epoxy. The composition of this grout includes a cement base and epoxy resin. Thanks to this connection, the grout is durable, flexible and also has a wide range of colors. These two-component grouts protect the joints from moisture and mold.
- Silicone. Such grout mixtures are also called sealants. This option is well suited for sealing large joints, however, many masters do not recommend using this tool for grouting. Silicone sealant is available in small tubes with a special tip. A variety of colors and shades allows you to choose the desired option, however, due to their properties, sealants are not suitable for this purpose. This useful material is more suitable for sealing the joints between the bathroom and the wall, between the sink and the wall, however, due to the fact that the sealant can change color over time and undergo mold, it is not at all suitable for grouting tiles.
- Latex. The most modern type of grout available today. This mixture is popular with consumers because of its high resistance to moisture, as well as a wide color palette. The price of latex grout is higher than that of cement grout, however, and the result will please more.
In addition, some additives can be applied to different grouting, for example, water glass, which provides additional water resistance and reliability.
How to match the grout color?
To correctly determine the color and shade of the future grout, you need to immediately decide which design move you are going to apply. The grouting mixture can be matched to the color of the ceramic tile, colorless, contrasting with the base color, shading the tile or the color of the wall that adjoins the wall to be finished.
Consider the following tips when choosing your bathroom color scheme:
It is not always possible to choose the desired shade of grout. Each cementitious grout contains a coloring pigment, however it is best to purchase additional coloring agent, which must be mixed with the white mixture when working.
- Epoxy grout is varied in its shades. It is possible to add any color to the transparent filler. Also, such grouts can be golden, silver and bronze, this greatly expands the color solutions for finishing the bath.
- To maintain the overall design style in the bathroom, choose a grout that matches the color of the tiles. If the tile is dark, the grout should be chosen one shade darker, if the tile is light, fill the joints with a mixture that is a shade lighter.
If the walls in the room are lined with different tile colors, choose the tone of the grout to match the prevailing color.
- The most successful color for the walls will be white, and for the floor, the colors are dark and gray.
- If the bathroom is tiled with bright mosaics, it is better to give preference to a colorless grout so as not to oversaturate the main composition.
- A light grout will visually unite all tiles into one whole, while a dark grout will, on the contrary, highlight each tile.
- If the room is small, use light shades, if the bathroom is large, you can use a dark grout.
- If the appearance of the cladding is not important, and the grout should play the role of protection against fungus and mold, then it is better to take a colorless grout.
When going to the store, experts advise you to take a sample of the tiles with you in order to choose the right tone for the grout mixture.
Overview of tile grout manufacturers
On the market of finishing materials today there are a variety of high-quality grout for tiles. Cement, latex or epoxy grout, powder or ready-mixed, white or already colored - all that remains is to choose the best product. Among the manufacturers of grouts offered in stores, the following brands can be distinguished:
Ceresit. This manufacturer is the leader among grouting mixtures. The company has long won success among consumers, thanks to finishing materials, cement mixtures, putty. This manufacturer offers several types of grouting mixture, each of which is designed for specific conditions. Ceresit grouts are used for filling joints from 4 to 20 mm. Some grouting mixes are made specifically for working with mosaic tiles. The company also produces a grout-sealant for sealing joints between surfaces. Ceresit is distinguished by high quality and average price policy.
- Grouting from the Polish company Atlas. This manufacturer is firmly entrenched in the market of our country, and produces a good product. Atlas grouting mixtures are of 3 types: cement, with the addition of gloss and epoxy grouting. In addition to the above products, the brand produces restorers - special mixtures for the restoration of previously filled joints between tiles. Now the grout is produced in Russia under the representative office of a Polish company.
- Grouting mixtures manufactured by Mapei. This company is an Italian brand, and is engaged in the production of high-quality grout not only for the bathroom, but also for a more industrial scale: baths, swimming pools. Production has also already been established in Russia, and offers consumers cement and epoxy mixtures for grouting. Mapei also manufactures filler sealants that are self-leveling. The color palette is wide enough. The brand's assortment also includes paint to renew the color of old seams, polymer additives for mixing the mixture, which give it moisture-proof properties, and polyethylene cords used to level seams before filling them.
- Manufactured by Kiilto. It differs in that the grouting mixture dries for a long time, and even a beginner can wipe the seams on his own, correcting his shortcomings. The Finnish company Kiilto also produces stone tiles that can be used outdoors. Additionally, the company manufactures products for protecting and washing the cladding.
- Epoxy grout Litokol. This company is distinguished by the production of special grouts for artistic finishing works. These are epoxy-based grouts for mosaics, glass and glow-effect grouting. Luminescent grout mixes will glow when the room lights are off.
The cost of grouting mixtures today varies from 300 rubles and more, depending on the brand, composition and type of grout. Give your choice only to trusted manufacturers who, over a long time of existence, have managed to recommend themselves from the good side. High-quality, moisture-resistant grout will last for many years and will delight the eyes with its appearance.
Glass entrance groups: existing varieties, choice of materials, advantages and installation. What entrance groups are used most often, video about an entrance group made of double-glazed windows
A glazed summer cottage gives great benefits. Overview of the main types of closed gazebos: sliding windows, warm and cold glazing, wooden structures, soft windows
Finding And Repairing Damage To The Roof Tiles Made Of Ceramic Or Sand-cement Tiles - How To Do It Yourself
Repair of a tiled roof of a house yourself, stages of roof restoration. Replacement of elements, repair of roof waterproofing and rafter reinforcement. Elimination of damage and leaking roofing
Tips For Laying Ceramic Tiles On Walls And Floors. Advantages Of Ceramic Tiles, Tips For Choosing, Secrets. Surface Preparation For Tiles
Tabletop tips for laying ceramic tiles, the secrets of craftsmanship. Getting ready for tiling: 5 useful tips The advantages of ceramic tiles are obvious: being one of the most ancient materials used in decoration, tiles are an environmentally friendly product, durable, unpretentious in maintenance, waterproof, relatively inexpensive, presented in a large assortment. Consider a few tips for tiling with ceramic tiles, advantages, tips for choosing how to cut correctly
Evalar BIO tea for cleansing the bodyNot so long ago the well-known company "Evalar Bio" presented new herbal preparations. All of them have different effects, but they should not be considered as a substitute for regular tea. These fees refer to biologically active substances and have a certain effect on the body