2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-24 22:24
- Benefits of using LED strips
- How can you use LED strips in ceiling lighting?
- Light control
- Installation features
In recent years, LED lighting in an apartment has become more widespread, thanks to its excellent consumer characteristics: high energy efficiency, long service life, ease of installation. The use of special tapes with LEDs when arranging the ceiling allows you to implement a variety of design solutions for both classic interiors and for lovers of minimalism or hi-tech.
Benefits of using LED strips
The popularity of LED strips is due to a wide range of advantages of their use in comparison with other light sources.
- Long service life. LEDs have a service life of more than 30 thousand hours, i.e. about 10 years provided that the lamp is on for 8 hours a day.
- Significant energy savings. LED strips and lamps consume 10 times less electricity than traditional incandescent bulbs.
- The light that diode lighting gives in the apartment is as close to natural as possible. This makes it more comfortable for human eyes.
- LED lamps are environmentally friendly. No chemicals are used in their production.
- LEDs do not heat up during operation, therefore they are safe when installed under a stretch ceiling, do not cause its deformation or fire hazard.
- LED strips, due to their flexible shape, are suitable for lighting the most complex geometric structures on the ceiling.
- Lighting an apartment with LED strips gives great opportunities for adjusting the brightness and color of the luminous flux using remote controls.
The only drawback of this type of lighting is the high price of LED light sources compared to their counterparts. Recently, however, their cost is falling rapidly due to the widespread use of production technology.
The cost of LED lamps will pay off within 2-3 years thanks to energy savings.
How can you use LED strips in ceiling lighting?
LED ceiling lighting is available in several versions:
Perimeter lighting. One of the most popular ways. The tape is either mounted in a plasterboard box designed for it, or is placed in a special wide foam baseboard.
Lighting of multi-level ceiling structures. The tape can be laid between the levels of the ceiling and along the contours of the figures.
The LED strip installed under the stretch fabric allows you to get the effect of a luminous ceiling. If the owners of the premises are supporters of bold design decisions, then a certain pattern can be laid out under the canvas with a ribbon. In this case, the ceiling can become the main element of the interior.
When choosing an LED strip for the ceiling, it is imperative to take into account the role of what kind of lighting it will perform: main or decorative. In the first case, the SMD 5050 tape will be an excellent option, the SMD 3528 type is suitable for interior decoration. The universal solution is RGB tape with diodes of three colors.
The LED ceiling lighting design is easy to change depending on the current situation and needs. Perhaps this is due to the use of controllers to control the light, as well as dimmers.
In order to change at will only the light intensity, you will need to connect to the dimmer LED strip. They are available in two versions: with and without a control panel. In the second case, the adjustment is carried out using a mechanism built into the device body.
More complex manipulations of the flow of light require the installation of a special device - a controller. With it, you can change the color variations of the LED strip in the mode set via the control panel.
Modern controllers are available in three versions:
- Radio controlled devices allow changing color programs using the remote control.
- In digital controllers, regulation is done via a mobile phone. Moreover, for these purposes smartphones that work on both Android and iOS are suitable.
- Audio controllers are connected to musical equipment, as a result of which the LED strip changes colors in time to the music.
To simplify installation and operation, you can immediately purchase an LED backlight kit, which includes a tape, controller, control panel and power supply.
Installation of LED strip for ceiling lighting can be done on your own. Installation is done in two ways:
- The tape is glued to the surface of the ceiling, skirting board or wall due to its own sticky layer.
- With the help of a profile in which the tape is located. The profile is either glued to the surface on double-sided tape, or special clips are used. The tape is covered from above with a transparent or matte diffuser screen.
It is possible to cut the tape only at the locations of the special marks! It is better to do this in advance, on the floor. Being at a height, it will be inconvenient to cut pieces of the required length.
Lighting the ceiling of an apartment with LEDs helps to turn it into a stylish design element, add coziness and unusualness to the room. And together with high reliability and energy efficiency, it is a recognized favorite among solutions for lighting design of ceiling structures.