2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-24 22:24
- Types of lighting in the living room
- General lighting
- Local light
- Decorative lighting
- Living room lighting types
- Basic principles of lighting in the living room
The living room can rightfully be considered the most important room in the house. Here we relax after a working day and gather for friendly gatherings or family celebrations. Children come here to play and here the mother-in-law or mother-in-law, who has come to visit, remains to spend the night. Therefore, the design of the premises must meet the requirements of multifunctionality. Living room lighting design plays an important, if not central, role in this. It will help to place accents, create an atmosphere of coziness or a bright holiday, divide the room into several zones for the comfort of all family members.
Types of lighting in the living room
Lighting in a modern living room design serves as primary, decorative and local lighting. The best solution is to combine them within the same room. This will allow you to zone the room and create several lighting scenarios depending on the situation: a romantic dinner, a family evening watching the TV, or a noisy party.
Used as the main light source. For many years, its role was played by a chandelier in the center of the ceiling. Nowadays, spotlights, LED strips, track systems are becoming more and more popular. And if the choice still falls on a chandelier, then the market offers not only standard classic models, but also ultra-modern ice-chandeliers of unusual shapes with excellent consumer characteristics.
Helps to tune in to rest, create an atmosphere of coziness and comfort. This includes floor lamps, a variety of wall sconces and table lamps. It is important to observe the measure: in a small typical living room, it will be enough to install only a floor lamp or a wall lamp above the sofa, while in a large room, several types of lighting devices can be used at once.
It is necessary for the placement of accents in the room. It is she who gives the interior a zest and makes it interesting. With the help of decorative lighting, niches in the wall, figurines and souvenirs, paintings can be distinguished. Light objects such as glowing bubble panels and an aquarium can also become the focus of attention.
When choosing a lighting design, keep in mind that if the living room is decorated in light colors, then they will enhance the illumination of the room. The same applies to the abundance of glossy surfaces, which can lead to oversaturation with light, visual irritation and fatigue.
Living room lighting types
The lighting design of an apartment is closely related to the type of fixtures used in the interior. So, a multi-lamp crystal chandelier "asks" for a classic interior. Whereas in the living room, decorated in a minimalist style, track systems or built-in LEDs fit perfectly.
Most often, the following types of lamps are used to decorate a living room:
Chandeliers made in various styles: from austere and prim classics to ornate modern.
Suspensions. They can be considered a subspecies of chandeliers. The luminaire is distinguished by the presence of one lamp and can serve to highlight a functional area inside the room, for example, a dining table.
Spotlights. They are used to create main and decorative light. Lighting design in a living room in a modern style is unthinkable without their use.
Sconces, floor lamps and table lamps provide local light. Thanks to the variety of lampshades and shades, you can choose an option for any interior.
Provide the living room with enough outlets. Don't skimp. In the future, it will be possible to easily add new elements to the lighting system: floor lamps or table lamps. Using an extension cord will not add comfort to the room.
Basic principles of lighting in the living room
In order for the result of the work on the design and creation of ceiling and local lighting to become a harmonious and comfortable room design, it is necessary to pay attention to the main key points:
- Before starting work, it is important to find out the height of the ceiling, errors in the geometry of the room, select approximate options for materials for decoration and furniture. Only then should you proceed to the selection of lamps.
- Most of the luminaires should be located on the ceiling. In the lighting of the living room, he is assigned the main role.
- Different light intensities correspond to certain interior styles. For example, high-tech involves bright, light-flooded rooms. Country style, on the other hand, unfolds in soft, slightly diffused lighting.
- It is very important to create the possibility of using several lighting scenarios in the living room, or at least connect a dimmer to the main light source in order to adjust the brightness of the lighting depending on the situation.
- Do not get carried away with the original design of the lamps. One bright accent is enough. Otherwise, you can get the opposite effect: many unusual elements in one room will look like a manifestation of bad taste.
- Cold shades of light are not the best solution for a living room. Light sources with a warm yellow or white glow will help bring coziness and a relaxed atmosphere.
If the living room simultaneously serves as a study and a dining room, it is better to place the lamps in these areas at different levels. For example, put a desk lamp on the desktop, hang several pendants above the dining table, and place a floor lamp next to the sofa.
The apartment's modern lighting design offers many options suitable for living room use. By combining different types of lighting fixtures, you can create a lighting solution that perfectly matches the functionality of the room.