2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- How to properly prepare the surface for laying tiles on drywall
- Step 1
- Step 2
- Step 3
- How to glue tiles to drywall in a bathroom
- The procedure for laying tiles on a plasterboard surface
Plasterboard sheets are widely used for leveling surfaces, preparing it for laying various finishing materials. Not only wallpapers of various types are used as finishing materials, but also parquet boards, cork or laminate panels, and tiles. Consider how to glue tiles to drywall. Since the basis of the gypsum plasterboard is gypsum G-4, which has the ability to regulate humidity, it is not difficult to glue the tile onto the gypsum plasterboard.
How to properly prepare the surface for laying tiles on drywall
Plasterboard sheets are available in several types. The tiles can be laid on any type of drywall. But in damp rooms it is recommended to use moisture-resistant gypsum board such as GKLV, GVLV.
Before gluing the tiles, the surface must be prepared.
The joint seams of gypsum plasterboard sheets must be puttyed with butt putty.
It is recommended to use Knauf plasterboard joint filler. It is better to use dry mixes Uniflot, Tiefengrund or Fugen Füller.
Among other mixtures, we recommend the UNIKMA putty called Ceresit, the Finnish Kiilto putty called Kestonit.
Of domestic materials, it is best to use a putty of the Gypsumontazh brand produced by Forward.
Characteristics of Gypsum installation putty:
- It is a dry white mixture based on gypsum with polymer, water-repellent additives.
- Easily miscible with water, forms a well-plastic mortar mixture with high adhesion. The water absorption of the solution does not exceed 5%.
- It is used for installation of plasterboard sheets, their puttying and gluing to flat surfaces. In combination with reinforcing tape, it is used for sealing drywall sheets.
By the way, it is possible to putty the joints and the surface of the gypsum plasterboard under the tile with an adhesive solution for laying the tiles.
When the putty is dry, the surface must be cleaned. This is done with a wide spatula. The spatula is held at an angle of 30º to the surface and is guided over it. This removes all irregularities, particles of plaster, putty.
The surface of the plasterboard sheets is primed in two layers. The second layer of primer is applied only after the previous layer has completely dried. As a primer, it is recommended to use a deep penetration primer produced by the well-known companies Knauf, UNIKMA. For example: Rotband Grund, Betocontakt.
From domestic primers it is best to use the Monolith primer.
Primer characteristics Monolith:
- high penetrating power;
- creates high adhesion;
- gives the surface increased water-repellent properties;
- promotes uniform coloring of the surface;
- prevents the appearance of fungi and mold;
- dries quickly;
- environmentally friendly and odorless.
Before applying the primer Monolith, the surface is cleaned of chalk, dust, greasy stains. Stir the mixture thoroughly before use. The primer can be applied by spray, roller, brush.
The primer can be applied at a temperature of at least +5 ºС. It is not recommended to apply Monolith primer on frozen surfaces.
And how to lay tiles on drywall. The tiles are laid on the drywall as soon as the last layer of the primer is thoroughly dry.
You can lay tiles on drywall using various materials:
- gluing tiles with a cement base;
- use of liquid nails as an adhesive;
- use of special elastic tile adhesive as an adhesive.
Ceresit CM11, CM12, CM17 brands are recommended for cement-based adhesives; Master Standard and Normal.
As liquid nails, it is best to use acrylic adhesives on a water-based basis. But it is better not to use liquid nails based on organic solvents in the household.
Lightweight tiles can be glued with liquid nails.
You can glue tiles on drywall using various methods:
- laying tiles opposite each other;
- laying a new row with a half shift of the tiles of the previous row;
- herringbone tile laying;
- diagonal tiling;
- laying tiles with a herringbone with an attachment;
- laying tiles with a modular grid.
It is best to glue the tiles to drywall using a special tile adhesive. You get a quality surface for many years, although you will lose a little in monetary terms. But any method of fixing tiles on a plasterboard surface allows you to get high quality results. It is recommended to use Ceresit, TiM-35, Elast, Plitonit glue from adhesives for laying tiles on gypsum plasterboard. By the way, tile adhesive is available both in the form of a dry mixture and in finished form. The ready-made glue is Neomid and Terraco.
From domestic brands, one can recommend such adhesives as the same Neomid or in the form of a dry mixture from Volma.
Calculation of the amount of tile adhesive.
When mixing dry mixtures, it is necessary to strictly follow the instructions for preparing the solution, strictly observe the specified proportions of water and dry matter. A properly prepared glue mixture will not overmoisten the cardboard. And this is very important, since excess moisture leads to deformation of the drywall sheets.
How to glue tiles to drywall in a bathroom
It must be remembered that it is recommended to use materials for rooms with high humidity to prepare the surface and lay tiles on drywall in the bathroom. The basis of such materials is cement.
Before gluing the tiles in the bathroom, be sure to prepare the surface.
- The joints of gypsum plasterboard sheets are sealed with a special putty, the surface is cleaned and primed.
- After the soil has completely dried, a layout is laid out from the tiles, the required number of whole tiles in a row is calculated.
- The bottom row is marked using a level, support strips are installed.
- The tiles are laid starting from the second row.
- Online calculator for calculating the required number of tiles for the bathroom.
Do not forget to check the flatness after every two rows and the vertical level of the top row.
Know! The lifetime of the tile adhesive does not exceed 20 … 30 minutes.
Prepare as much glue as you can use faster than the specified period.
The thickness of the adhesive should be within 5 mm. The glue is applied to the wall, a comb is made with a notched trowel. Excess glue is removed, where there is not enough, leveled. The tiles must be coated on the inside.
- Remember to place boundary crosses when applying tiles.
- Let the exposure time for two hours and start cleaning the tile from the glue. This must be done, otherwise it will be difficult to remove traces of glue.
- And the last stage is the application of the trowel layer. Tile grout calculator.
In the video below, the process of gluing tiles to drywall sheets in a bathroom is discussed in detail.
- It is recommended to use a deep penetration primer such as Rotband Grund before laying the tiles for priming the surface.
- It is best to putty the joints with dry mortars such as Uniflot, Tiefengrund or Fugen Füller designed for this purpose.
- It is recommended to use special tile adhesive such as Ceresit, TiM-35, Elast, Plitonit for laying tiles.
- For a budget option, mixtures of domestic manufacturers are suitable.
Here is a list of some auxiliary materials for laying tiles on drywall, produced by domestic manufacturers:
- deep penetration primers: Monolith, Color, Varnish, GKL-1 soil;
- putties for gypsum plasterboard joints: Palaplaster from Paladium, putties from Kreps;
- drywall adhesives: Kreps, Petromix, Perel, Alit ASTC.
The procedure for laying tiles on a plasterboard surface
Begin to lay the tiles from the second row. For this, the position of the tiles in the bottom row is marked by level, the upper border is marked. Knowing the height of the tiles, the size of the tiles, it is not difficult to calculate at what height the marking line should pass. A wooden strip or metal profile is fixed on the marking line, which will serve as a support for the second row of tiles to be laid.
Having laid a row, give time for the glue to grab and proceed to laying the next row. It is not recommended to lay more than three rows in one day. When all the rows are laid, remove the support rail and glue the bottom row. Tips on how to quickly apply tile adhesive to tiles.
Try it and you will succeed!
How to glue the ceiling plinth correctly: do-it-yourself installation of a baguette on the ceiling (video, photo). How to glue the ceiling foam or polyurethane skirting board, cut it using a miter box or in the absence of a device. Installation of a ceiling plinth - a detailed step-by-step guide for the master and beginner. What to look for when installing a foam baseboard
An important issue is the choice of mixture for laying tiles. In addition, you need to know all the features of its preparation, both independently and preparing the finished mixture
A homemade tile adhesive application tool will speed up your installation. At the same time, the use of the device will make it possible to improve the gluing of tiles to the base
Which is the best electric tile cutters to choose for cutting water-cooled porcelain tiles. Rating of the best inexpensive models of tile cutters, comparison of characteristics and prices
It is perhaps the most popular material for bathroom and kitchen finishes. Now the choice of tiles is so great that everyone can choose a facing material according to their taste and financial capabilities. At the same time, given that the services of a master tiler are not affordable for everyone, many people lay the tile with their own hands. And of course, in the process of facing work, questions arise about how to correctly perform this or that procedure. And perhaps most of all