2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-24 22:24
- Let's start with the relief decoration of the premises
- Wall openings
- Decoration Materials
- Wallpaper as a finishing material
- About ceramic tiles
- Putty and decorative plaster
- The use of fabrics in the interior of plasterboard walls
- A few words about the use of fabric in the interior of drywall walls
- How to glue fabrics
- Useful tips in the interior
- Design of plasterboard walls in the hall: arches and niches
Today one of the most common building materials is gypsum plasterboard. The technology developed for mounting drywall sheets by Knauf allows you to create various designs, make your apartment beautiful and comfortable. It is possible to create a drywall wall design in a room not only with structural elements, but also using various materials: wallpaper, ceramic tiles, decorative plaster, fabrics and wood. And here's how to do it, and described in the article below.
Let's note right away. Gypsum plasterboard is easy to process, cut, bend. It is easy to attach. With its help, you can create any structural elements.
Let's start with the relief decoration of the premises
The design of plasterboard walls can be decorated by the construction of various structures, such as arches, niches, pedestals, wall openings.
An arch is a structure that represents a curved overlap of a blind or through span. It is mounted between columns or supports to create lateral expansion. Serves as a through passage, and plays the role of a decorative element.
A niche is an architectural element of any geometric shape, designed in the form of a recess in the wall, which serves to place decorations in it: vases, figurines, fonts, household appliances, pots with flowers. Most often, niches are used when installing partitions, or as a decorative element.
Pedestals is a design designed to be placed not only inside, but also on top of various objects or things. Plasterboard cabinets solve not only a functional task, but also, equipped with spotlights, create an effective design.
Wall openings are through passages, decorated with decorative holes in the form of all kinds of geometric shapes. Wall openings are arranged in the form of shelves for placing books, toys, figurines. It is important to know the thickness of the partition.
But any design construction requires external finishing. We will use wallpaper, ceramic tiles, decorative plaster and fabrics as finishing materials. And the interior of the walls made of plasterboard is well complemented by properly selected furniture, curtains, lighting.
Wallpaper as a finishing material
A surface mounted from plasterboard sheets is most suitable for wallpapering. Such a surface requires practically no additional preparation, excluding putty, cleaning of joints, screw heads and a primer before pasting.
Let's note right away! Even a surface primer is not required under wallpaper with a paper base.
About ceramic tiles
Attention! Ceramic tiles are laid only on moisture-resistant cardboard, designated GKLV and having a greenish color. As a rule, with a monad of construction, two or more layers of drywall are laid under ceramic tiles. Using a moisture-resistant drywall sheet, ceramic tiles can be installed in any room. If you are going to impose communications, then first build boxes of plasterboard, and already overlay them with ceramic tiles.
Putty and decorative plaster
Although the resulting surface when using drywall does not require additional leveling, however, the joints, the places of the screw heads must be putty. For this, a finishing putty is used. The use of satin plaster is allowed.
The resulting surface is most often pasted over with wallpaper, painted.
But for design solutions, decorative plaster is used, which provides inexhaustible finishing options. Not only does the plaster itself allow you to find various interior designs, but the use of textured rollers or Venetian plaster technologies allows you to create real works of art.
The use of fabrics in the interior of plasterboard walls
Fabrics are especially popular for wall decoration, including drywall. The use of fabrics for wall decoration gives them a special elegance, originality and mesmerizing beauty. Fabric of any type and texture is used:
- The most popular are tapestry, drape, chintz, silk, velvet.
- For a budget option, furniture fabric is best.
Velor and suede are best glued. If you decide to stretch the fabric over the frames, use rayon or cotton. Wall draperies are preferably made of lightweight fabrics.
It is best for novice designers to choose synthetic fabrics.
A few words about the use of fabric in the interior of drywall walls
Since both soft and durable fabrics are used, there are several ways to attach them. Fabrics can be glued, pulled over frames.
Fabrics are glued to well-aligned planes, which are plasterboard walls.
The fabric stretched over the frame allows you to hide small irregularities, save on plastering and grinding work.
How to glue fabrics
- The surface for pasting with fabrics must be smooth, without protrusions and depressions.
- The wall is thoroughly cleaned with a spatula and putty. The surface is cleaned with an abrasive material, processed from mold and mildew.
- After complete drying, an absolutely flat surface is primed and checked for the absence of grains of sand and depressions.
- Applying a layer of primer removes any remaining grit and dust.
If you are using a thin fabric, then you need to glue the surface with overlapping sheets of paper.
- The fabric is glued to the dried and peeled layer of paper.
- This is especially necessary if no fabrics have been glued to the surface before.
- The sticker of the fabric itself is made with special mastic, flour paste or casein glue.
Fabrics are deformed when wet. Choose fabrics that are less prone to deformation.
- As a rule, fabrics are soaked before pasting and glued after they have completely dried.
- Pasting is carried out from the corners, smearing the walls with paste or mastic.
- The edge of the glued canvas is fixed with wooden slats until it dries, hammering in nails not completely with a step of 50 cm.
It is preferable to fasten the fabric sheathing with wooden battens.
- The lower rail is fixed to the floor, the upper one is attached to the ceiling. The slats are sealed into the plaster layer beforehand.
- Stretch fabric, secured with nail rails.
Useful tips in the interior
To solve design problems, use not only architectural techniques, but also the use of various finishing materials.
The fashionable design of plasterboard walls in the hall can be obtained not only by using expensive finishing materials. We need a fresh idea and an unexpected solution, we recommend making a 3D tour to the photo gallery.
Design of plasterboard walls in the hall: arches and niches
The main room of any apartment is the living room or hall. It most often hosts guests, gathers with the whole family. Not only ease of use, but also the atmosphere depends on the competent design of the room design.
We suggest assembling a niche for a TV or an arch.
Niche for TV
The modern TV is flat and lightweight. It is possible to install it on the wall using a bracket, factory-made or made for a TV set by hand. Fixed in this way, it looks harmoniously in the interior of a public institution, since it provides an overview for each visitor.
In the room, the TV looks more harmonious in a niche. And the safety in this design is higher.
How to make a niche for TV
To make a niche for a TV from drywall sheets, you will need tools and materials:
- From the materials you need a metal profile with CW, UW markings. This is the so-called guide and post profile. With its help, the frame of the future niche is assembled.
- As a material for the frame, you can use a wooden beam with a section of 30 × 30 mm.
- For covering the niche, use drywall 6.5–12.5 mm thick.
- The frame is assembled using self-tapping screws, installed and fastened with special joints and dowels.
- Use arched profiles and thin sheets of drywall to give the niche a curved outline.
From the tool, you cannot do without:
- drills with speed control;
- construction knife;
- hacksaws for metal;
- scissors for metal;
It is necessary to mark, measure and install the structure using:
- plumb line;
Getting started on the manufacture of a niche must begin with the development of a project that takes into account the dimensions of the TV to be installed.
- You need to provide a space that will discolor the ventilation of the device, the laying of connecting cables, the installation of additional devices.
- When designing a niche for installing a TV, consider creating a shelving unit to accommodate books, flowers, ornaments at the same time; this will not only add extra harmony to the interior, but also serve as additional space.
- Installation of the original backlight is appropriate.
Such a layout will allow you to lay various communications that organically fit into the design. Learn more about the installation of a profile structure.
Find out how you can hang your TV and still save money on the bracket by making it yourself.
- Any work begins with marking the location of the niche installation.
- Apply the location of the future niche to the wall.
- Cutting to size the vertical rack rails from the profile, fix them to the wall using dowels.
- Cut the horizontal carriers from the guide profile and fix them to the rack-mount ones using self-tapping screws.
- To increase the rigidity of the structure, install additional jumpers.
- You have got the frame of the future niche.
- For covering the structure, cut blanks from drywall. The workpieces are fastened to the frame using self-tapping screws in increments of at least 25–30 cm. Do not forget to sink the screw heads to a depth of 0.5 mm.
- Install fittings for switches, sockets and lamps.
- The resulting niche frame must be putty, cleaned and applied with a finishing layer.
We design and assemble an arch
It is advisable to use arches in the construction of partitions, making out the wall. The arches that decorate the entrance to the kitchen, loggia look harmoniously. The installation of arches allows you to significantly expand the space of the room, increase the doorway, and get rid of the doors. Arches are especially appropriate in small apartments.
Arches installation procedure
The work begins with the acquisition of the required amount of material. You will need a plasterboard sheet, metal profile or wooden beam, fasteners, putty.
Having decided on the appearance of the future arch, draw up a sketch or drawing.
- Dimension the walls.
- Calculate what and how much materials you need.
- The walls to which the arch frame will be attached must be leveled.
- Fasten the rack profiles to the walls, floor, ceiling with dowels.
- You should have a U-shaped design.
- We cut out the upper part of the arch from drywall and fasten it with self-tapping screws to the resulting structure along the perimeter with self-tapping screws with a pitch of 20–40 mm.
- Now you need to fix a pre-cut drywall blank to the lower shelves of the U-shaped structure. To ensure the radius, the profile is notched in several places with metal scissors.
- If you need an arch of a certain width, do the above work on the second part of the arch.
- In order to sew up the radius of the arch, it is necessary to bend the cut out drywall blank. Drywall bends well if you cut it in width on one side in increments of 10–20 cm. The step size depends on the radius of the arch. The smaller the radius, the more frequent the notch pitch.
- The curved drywall is fastened with self-tapping screws.
- All irregularities and grooves must be putty and lit up. Finishing material is applied on top.
I wish you success.