2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-24 22:24
- Types of tiles
- Ceramic tiles and their features
- Porcelain stoneware
- PVC tile
- Glass cover
- 3D tiles and other exotic options
As you know, tiles are the most suitable option for arranging a floor in a kitchen or bathroom. But a very popular question is which tiles to put. It is the choice of the type of tile that is one of the most important points.
Nevertheless, each type of tile has its own advantages and disadvantages, which are useful in one case, and can become a problem in another. Therefore, it is necessary to consider all types separately, and decide which tiles are best to put in the kitchen.
Types of tiles
Of course, it can be noted that the color range of any type of tile is simply filled with an abundance of shades and various texture solutions. But first of all, it is necessary to pay attention to the features and performance characteristics of the coating.
Despite the fact that the coating itself from any material meets all the requirements, including:
- Strength and durability.
- Immunity to temperature effects.
- Moisture resistance.
- Environmental Safety.
- Moisture resistance and fire resistance.
In particular, it is common to decide which tiles are best to lay on the floor, trust specialists, but it is enough just to study the features of each type and you can make a decision yourself. And in most cases it will be correct, since many experts recommend taking more expensive tiles, even when it is inappropriate. And such advice is due to the size of the fee, since the more expensive the tiles, the higher the cost of laying.
The first thing to study when asking which tiles to put on the floor are the existing types, including:
- Ceramic tile.
- Porcelain stoneware.
- PVC products
- Glass tiles
- 3D elements
And each of these types is rich in advantages and disadvantages in its own way. But let's look at each material separately from all sides in order to determine exactly for ourselves which tiles to put on the floor in the kitchen.
Ceramic tiles and their features
This type of material is presented on the service market in a wide variety, both for walls and for floors. We are now interested in the second option, at the same time here you can also see a lot of different types of coating, sizes, and strength.
Following the recommendations of experts, tiles of the 3-4th strength class are best suited for the floor, at the same time the 5th hardness class. But even taking into account this level of technical characteristics, it has a number of disadvantages:
- First of all, low thermal conductivity, respectively, the floors in the room will always be cold (with the exception of the arrangement of the "warm floor" system.
- The second is low impact strength, which is not very good for a kitchen where something is constantly falling.
And the last is the complexity of styling.
But at the same time, you can pay attention to the advantages that compensate for the disadvantages:
- The first is the bending strength, respectively, the surface can withstand even very heavy and dimensional elements of decor and furniture.
- The tile is absolutely not static.
- Also, the material is easy to clean and is immune to the effects of household chemicals.
- In addition, the tiles are immune to UV radiation.
- And the main thing, thanks to which the material has gained popularity, is the low cost.
Also, the advantages include an easy replacement of the tile if it is damaged. It is also recommended to buy a certain amount of stock in advance, before installation, in case of need for replacement and repair.
In the case of a kitchen, the best option would be to choose a material with a ribbed surface without a glazed finish.
The next material is porcelain stoneware, which surpasses ceramic coating in its properties. It is the most popular and demanded.
Among the distinctive features of the material should be noted:
- High strength indicators, which reach a score of 9 points (with a maximum level of 10 points).
- The tiles have a uniform color, which is often the problem with ceramics.
- Also, the material boasts a low level of water absorption, which is due to the special structure.
- And the most important thing is to become resistant to mechanical stress and shock.
The latter can be noted a higher level of wear resistance and durability.
But do not forget about the shortcomings, among them it is noted:
- The fragility of the material, in connection with which it requires careful transportation.
- Quite a large mass, which undoubtedly affects the preparation of the base, as well as the consumption of tile adhesive.
- Has a higher cost.
- And besides, it is difficult to cut and you will need a special electric tile cutter.
The material itself has several types of surface, in the case of solving the question of which tiles to put on the floor, a material with a matte finish is selected.
The next option is to become a material based on PVC. Such a tile is famous for its ease of installation, since it does not need an adhesive mixture. This factor is due to the presence of a self-adhesive surface, which allows you to install as quickly as possible. A lock-type connection is provided between individual elements (similar to a parquet connection).
Such material has a lot of advantages, the main ones are:
- Low cost, depending on the manufacturer, even lower than ceramic tiles.
- High level of thermal conductivity, giving a warm feeling to the touch.
- High level of heat and sound insulation.
- Chemical resistance as well as moisture resistance.
- The material is wear-resistant and durable.
Among the main disadvantages are:
- The material is made artificially.
- And the main disadvantage is flammability, which significantly reduces the level of fire safety.
There is not a lot of cover made of such material, in addition, there are a lot of colors and patterns, which allows you to create any design.
Considering further the question of what kind of tiles are laid in the kitchen, you can notice the use of glass surfaces. Such a coating has good aesthetic qualities, which allows you to create a unique appearance and complement the design of the room.
In addition, tiles made using a special technology have good performance characteristics that are not inferior to ceramics.
You can also see a number of characteristic benefits:
- High level of durability.
- Easy to care for and use.
- The ability to create a visually whole seamless coating.
- In addition, the coating allows you to visually expand the kitchen space.
- And the last is the complete absence of culling.
In addition, even taking into account the apparent unreliability and standard stereotypes of perception of the concept of "glass", such a coating in practice shows high resistance to wear. There is also a high level of shock resistance, which contributes to the complexity of damage.
The only significant drawback is the very slippery surface of the material and the tendency of the glass to scratch.
3D tiles and other exotic options
New flooring technologies have also affected tiles. A unique combination of polycarbonate and liquid layers is created, which is located between them. The material itself is presented in a large number of variations and colors.
The uniqueness of this type of material is precisely the interlayer fluid that reacts to pressure. In more detail, when in contact with a tile, it changes its color.
Considering the question of what kind of tiles to put in the kitchen, this option will be quite suitable. Among the features of the material are noted:
- Resistance to stress and mechanical stress.
- Immunity to temperature extremes.
- Resistant to moisture.
- Built-in anti-noise and anti-vibration devices.
- Moreover, the material is environmentally friendly.
Of course, disadvantages should be noted, but there are not so many of them. In particular, the main thing is the need to equip a perfectly flat surface. The maximum deviation should not exceed 3 degrees, otherwise the tiles will lose their elegant appearance and, moreover, their ability to react to touch. Further, the impossibility of trimming to size. Afraid of membrane puncture. And of course the open question is the durability of the material.
Other popular 3D glass (stereo) floor tiles
A three-dimensional pattern on perforated glass visually expands the boundaries of the room. The tile manufacturing technology allows you to achieve not only volume, but also add the effect of movement, blinking, shine or resizing the image. 3D is similar to how children had a ruler with a moving picture in childhood.
Of the minuses of 3 D tiles, of course, the cost is about 6,000-9,000 rubles m 2, because the use of 3D technologies to solve the question of which good tile is better to put on the kitchen floor is available only to wealthy citizens and is an exclusive novelty.
The disadvantage is perhaps the impossibility of cropping and the annoyance of abstraction. A separate minus is that the game of the picture takes place only from a certain viewing angle.
Having considered all types of tiles that are acceptable for use in the kitchen, you can choose one of them. But remember, in deciding which tile is better to put on the floor, it is necessary to take into account a number of factors, including the temperature regime, operating conditions, and most importantly, your preferences and financial capabilities.
Laying tiles in the kitchen on the floor
Laying tiles in the kitchen apron
We also offer you to watch several videos, with the reasoning of experts on the choice of tiles, which will help you finally decide on it.