2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-24 22:24
If you have already done the installation of the ceiling or any other, then after that you need to choose the right paint for the ceiling. There is a huge selection on the market, but which one is right for you? Do-it-yourself apartment renovation website will give some useful tips and tricks.
Water-borne acrylic, silicone, silicate and latex paints are used to cover the ceiling.
Acrylics are the most popular. It is enough to apply two layers of paint on the ceiling, and micro cracks of 1 mm in size in the base will be bridged. The acrylic coating is stain resistant. And the abundance of different properties of paint will create a different effect. The price depends on the quality of the components. Now we will consider other types and understand their application.
Silicate is recommended for use in those rooms where the foundation waterproofing is broken.
Ingredients: liquid potassium glass, mineral fillers, mineral pigments.
Before painting, a silicate primer is applied to the ceiling, since silicate products are less elastic than acrylic and do not close small cracks. They are very convenient to apply on mineral plaster, on cement ceilings and on old lime paint. In addition, they have high water permeability, so it is advisable to use them in buildings with damp walls. The addition of an antiseptic additive is not required, since they themselves inhibit the development of microorganisms.
In modern construction, high-quality silicate paints are widely used, created on the basis of liquid glass with the addition of ethyl silicate, which, due to their properties, are ideal for facade work and painting walls indoors.
In silicone paints, the advantages of acrylic and silicate are combined. Plus, the silicone coatings form a waterproof film. The silicone resin in the paint does not soften at elevated temperatures. It is great for all surfaces. Possessing high elasticity, the silicone paint closes wide cracks up to 2 mm. A distinctive feature is its non-aggressiveness, and when working with it, you can not take precautions. Silicone paints can be added to acrylic and silicate paints to improve performance.
Water-based paint has many advantages. Here are some of them:
Easy to apply to any surface, be it walls, ceilings, wood, concrete, etc. Differs in good adhesive properties.
- Can be used for painting non-prepared surfaces. This type of dye will easily hide cracks, roughness and other defects in walls and ceilings.
- The coating tolerates temperature changes well.
- With the help of special colors, you can create almost any shade.
- Among its useful properties are vapor and gas permeability.
- Repels water. Thanks to this feature, it is suitable for use in the bathroom.
- Silicone painted surfaces will be free from fungi, bacteria and insects.
- Silicone facade paint does not crack. This is because there is no surface tension in it.
- Dust and dirt do not accumulate on the painted surface.
- The paint is environmentally friendly. When working with it, you do not need to use protective equipment.
- This dye easily tolerates exposure to direct sunlight.
Despite all the properties of silicone and silicate paints, acrylic is the most popular.
Acrylic paint advantages:
- Durability and wear resistance.
- Low paint consumption.
- Color resistance to ultraviolet light.
- The resulting film does not allow water to pass through, but steam passes freely through it. This is especially important when working with wooden structures. Acrylic allows the wood to "breathe", removing moisture from the inside of the house to the outside. The good water-repellent properties of the paint make it possible to carry out finishing work in bathrooms and kitchens.
- Dries quickly. Depending on the purpose and composition, the curing time can be from half an hour to 2 hours.
- The paint is quite elastic, so when the house shrinks, cracks do not form on the coating.
- Water is used as a solvent instead of corrosive substances. This makes acrylic paints safer for health.
- If paint ends up in the wrong place, it can be easily removed without damaging the surface.
- Affordable prices, which are somewhat lower, make acrylic paint a fairly popular material.
As a result, it turns out that for painting the ceiling in an ordinary apartment, the usual properties of acrylic paint are enough.
Now it is worthwhile to figure out in detail which acrylic paint is better to choose.
Now you know which paint to choose for the ceiling in the Leroy Merlin store and other stores and what it is best suited for. See also how to paint the ceiling with water-based paint without streaks.