2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- Positive features
- Negative points
- Elimination of defects
For many, a floor screed resembles an ordinary mortar made of the consistency of cement and sand. In addition to this, the process of "maturation" takes a long time, which is not of interest to everyone. But at present there is a similar variant in composition, however, which is completely differently ready for work after installation work. This mixture is a semi-dry screed. It has both advantages and disadvantages.
The mixture contains a sand-cement mortar, as well as plasticizers together with fiber. Water is practically not used here. It is necessary to make the mixture more tenacious, capable of fully manifesting its qualities and properties. Due to this, the drying time of the finished solution is significantly reduced. 3-4 days after the completion of all work will be sufficient.
Most often it is used with significant differences in height in the room, with the presence of large cracks. In this, all the advantages of a semi-dry screed begin to appear. The technology of laying such a solution allows it to be carried out in large premises. True, the use of special equipment will be required, which will not always be available from ordinary apartment owners.
Self-execution requires some skills to replace any tool with improvised means.
The screed layer should be on average 7-10 cm. If you make it very thin, then over time it will quickly crack. Fiber gives lightness to the entire mass, which reduces the load on the floor, whatever it may be. Together with this type of screed, you can arrange a warm floor, lay tiles. The most important thing is to follow all stages and sequence of work.
Has a semi-dry floor screed pluses and minuses, the presence of which will depend on the correct observance of the technology of installation work. Otherwise, a huge number of shortcomings will appear during operation and upon completion of installation. This will lead to additional waste of money and effort.
The advantages of a semi-dry floor screed are as follows:
It can be carried out not only in new buildings, when the floor slabs have practically no damage, but also in old buildings, including with a wooden base of the floor. The latter option is most often found in private households.
- In the process of performing working moments, dust and dirt practically do not appear, which only complicate the installation of the screed.
- Has a semi-dry floor screed pluses in that water is practically not used. It only takes a minimum amount so that the hydration of the cement that is part of the mixture is carried out. This minimizes the appearance of cracks, subsidence of the entire structure. The likelihood of flooding neighbors is excluded when all working moments are completed.
- There is no need to purchase self-leveling mixes, which are also quite expensive compared to ready-made semi-dry mixes. Self-leveling mortars are usually considered traditional.
- Upon completion of all types of work on the construction of the "rough" version of the floor, it will be enough to wait 12 hours to be able to walk on such a surface. It will no longer be able to change its qualities. The main thing is not to apply significant pressure. This suggests that you can do the decoration of the premises without any problems. After 72-90 hours after the end of the installation of the floor screed, any floor covering that is matched to the apartment is laid.
There is no need to carry out the final leveling of the floor, as the base becomes perfectly smooth. All flooring standards are met in full.
Consequently, there will be no additional costs, and there is no need to spend energy on work. According to building codes and regulations, differences in height of the finished screed are acceptable, but they should not exceed 2 mm for every 2 meters of the base.
- Internal communications are easily hidden in the screed, which can only be laid indoors. This can also include the underfloor heating system, if there is such a need. In addition, here the semi-dry floor screed manifests itself as another layer of thermal insulation in the room.
- When using special equipment, all types of work are reduced in terms of time, and the ready-made solution can be supplied up to the 25th floor. Everything will depend on the use of a certain type of tool and fixture.
- The floor screed has advantages in that it has such a quality as versatility. It manifests itself in the fact that ready-made mixtures can be used not only inside a certain room (kitchen, bedroom, hall), but also used for roofing work.
Since waterproofing is arranged under the screed, it is this layer that will minimize the possibility of flooding neighbors in case of emergency flooding. This is a kind of floor "pillow" that does not allow moisture to pass through itself.
- Work can be performed not only on the surface at an angle, but also in any places where access is somewhat restricted, for example, under a flight of stairs. Any complex shapes and decorative elements (pillars, columns) can also be easily finished using a semi-dry floor screed.
- Fiber reduces the specific weight of the finished version, increases the durability of the floor covering.
Excellent heat and sound insulation properties. This is achieved due to the porosity of the structure of the finished mixture.
- The mixture contains only natural ingredients, additives that do not have any negative impact on the health of the person performing the installation work, who later lives in this room. The raw materials are natural.
- The price is acceptable. The savings here lie not only in the materials themselves, but also in the waste of physical strength. With minimal use of the latter, the area to be performed is huge. The productivity of work due to semi-dry mixtures is high. But you will need to use specialized equipment that is rented or available.
- Multilevel screed. It is possible to carry out the "rough" floor with different levels, depending on the needs, even within the same room. The finished semi-dry screed is placed on the base exactly as it is laid.
In order for all of them to be in a complex and to prove themselves in practice, it is necessary to comply with all the requirements for the technology of laying a semi-dry screed. Among the negative manifestations of violations of the points of the instruction are cracks, subsidence in certain places, the integrity of the finished version of the base is violated, and so on.
Since the floor screed has pluses and minuses, one should not forget about those points that relate specifically to the disadvantages, somewhat deflecting the consumer from buying a ready-made mixture. Complicates the work in the winter season. This is due to the fact that the equipment is often located on the street. It will be very problematic for anyone to work at significant subzero temperatures.
In addition, here the sand begins to freeze, difficulties arise with the supply of a solution from sand with cement through the pipeline. There may even appear "traffic jams" stopping the whole process.
It will be very difficult to carry out all types of work on the device of a semi-dry floor screed on your own due to the fact that you will need to use additional equipment not only for preparing the solution, but also for subsequent tamping and leveling the base. This mainly comes from the composition of the mixture itself, as well as the small amount of water used for the solution.
For a semi-dry screed, the disadvantages are in the following points:
- "Fear" of water. If a large amount of moisture gets on the surface of the finished base, then it begins to swell and crack. This is due to the process of cement hydration. So you should be careful that the quality of the semi-dry screed remains at the proper level.
- The appearance of noise when walking on the floor, as well as destruction under it.
Low level of self-compaction, which leads to filling of a thick layer of screed. Basically, the minimum is 40-50 mm.
- All types of work are best done in one step. Consequently, large areas when independently performing work on the floor screed device are impractical. Here you will need not only additional physical strength and the appropriate tool for work (grinder, smoothing machine, pneumatic blower, etc.). Hence the corresponding name - mechanized dry screed.
All the disadvantages of a semi-dry floor screed are associated with the technology of its device. You can and should fight with them so that the final result is as useful as possible. Each minus of the finished mixture and the semi-dry screed solution is eliminated very quickly. The main thing is to try and make a minimum of effort.
Elimination of defects
You can not bypass the pros and cons for a semi-dry screed. But each of them appears only when observing the installation technology, or neglecting it. Hence, conditions appear for reducing to a minimum all negative points.
So that the freshly laid solution can calmly "dry", it is covered with a polyethylene film.
This protects the substrate from excess moisture. It is best to forget about saving, and do everything conscientiously. If the screed layer is insignificant, which the technology requires, then during operation it will begin to crack, the floor covering will begin to creak on it.
The proportions should be in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations. This is the only way to get a really high-quality solution that can be used to level the surface of the future floor.
In winter, also, all types of work cannot be stopped, but they come up with various options to continue. Even outdoors, you can easily make a warm room or heated to a certain temperature. No one canceled various additives, such as frost-resistant ones, and the hoses themselves are additionally insulated. This will allow the installation of the base for the floor at temperatures outside the window up to -25 degrees.
As for special equipment, it is not necessary to spend a lot of money if a semi-dry screed is performed in one chosen room. A construction mixer will be enough here. You can, of course, rent everything, but this will also require certain financial costs.
By resorting to the technology of the device of a semi-dry floor screed, it is possible to shorten the time of work, but also spend less effort and money. In addition, a "warm" floor can already be equipped here, and a layer of semi-dry mortar will serve as an additional layer of thermal insulation in the room.
How to make a waterproofing floor from moisture penetration or so as not to flood neighbors when pouring a floor screed using the wet method. Prepare the base and select the type of insulation, select technology and material
Features of creating a flat surface for flooring, installation of a screed under a laminate, instructions for leveling the base under a laminate using self-leveling floors
The sequence of work on pouring the base of the floor with a cement and sand screed, the rules for mixing the solution, recommendations for the preparatory high-quality installation
User reviews about the flooring device using a bulk method, types of self-leveling floors and the best option among them, consumer reviews about floor pouring in this way
Diet for weight loss of the abdomen, sides and waistDespite the fact that obesity is a real scourge of our time, the vast majority of people still do not have such serious problems with being overweight. Most often, they simply have unwanted centimeters in the waist area and fat deposits on the sides