2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- When is it possible to install tiles on old tiles?
- Necessary materials for work
- How to put tiles on old tiles: step by step instructions
- Surface preparation
- Laying tiles on old floor tiles
- Tips & Tricks
Everyone can have a moment when it is necessary to update the bath or kitchen, and in particular replace the tiles. But it may also happen that there will be difficulties with the removal of the old coating, or, perhaps, there is no desire to waste time on it. In this situation, one question arises whether it is possible to put tiles on old tiles or not. And we will answer this question. Yes, you can, but there are certain rules, which will be discussed later.
When is it possible to install tiles on old tiles?
It is worth knowing that the possibility of laying a new coating on an old base is not always possible. And therefore, first of all, it should be determined when, after all, it is possible to carry out such a styling:
- If the old coating is firmly adhered to the base, it does not come off and there are no signs of failure.
- At the same time, you want to avoid removing the old layer, since later a lot of debris and dust are formed.
- With high-quality fixing, subsequent dismantling may result in damage to the floor, as a result of which additional repairs will be necessary.
- And the last reason is that dismantling can significantly lower the floor level, which is not always desirable.
At the same time, it is necessary to consider the reasons why it is not possible to put new tiles on the old ones. Among these:
- If there is significant damage to the old surface.
- If there is a risk of deformation, damage to the tile, or peeling it off the floor.
- If, when checking by tapping, a sound is heard that is characteristic of a cavity under the material.
- If the area of the room is small, and it cannot be made even smaller. It is especially important for low ceilings.
- In the case when there are any communication systems under the old covering, for example, water pipes or electrical wires.
- Level the floor covering if necessary.
- And the last factor is that if you put the tiles on the floor on the old tiles, then the floor level will be too high and exceed the threshold. In this case, you will need to lift the door frame. But it will be better to remove the old coating layer.
Necessary materials for work
Considering the recommendations of specialists who have extensive experience in laying tiles on old tiles on the floor, the following materials can be distinguished that will be needed for work:
- First of all, it is a primer concrete contact Ceresit ST-19, or a similar mixture with the same performance characteristics.
- And the glue mixture for tiles, Ceresit CM-17 or CM117 is recommended, it is less prone to flow.
The first question of everyone is why the concrete contact was chosen as a primer, because we are working with tiles. Let us explain that such a mixture in its composition has small particles of cement, squeak and similar mixtures, which create a kind of roughness on the surface, in this situation it is glossy.
That is why, only under the conditions of using such a primer can we confidently guarantee the successful work. In another way, the coating will not be strong and not durable. If it does not come off at all in a few days.
Be sure to allow the concrete contact to dry well before laying new tiles
As a quick tip, always buy a little more materials than you need to estimate. At least 10-15% more, which is quite enough. This step is necessary in order to eliminate the disadvantage. There are failures with everyone, and when trying to put floor tiles on old tiles, you may damage several copies of the material, cut them incorrectly, or simply drop them. Therefore, it is better to always have a small margin.
How to put tiles on old tiles: step by step instructions
Now let's go directly to the most important point, we have already answered the question of whether it is possible to put a tile on a tile, now we will figure out how to do it. Like all work, this one is also divided into several stages, which we will consider in more detail below.
First, you need to make sure that the old coating is strong enough. If, however, one of the tiles is cracked or chipped, then it must be removed. Also, earlier it was said about the possible presence of voids, if such are present, then the material in these places must also be removed. Further, all empty places need to be repaired with cement mortar and allowed to dry.
After that, before you start laying floor tiles on the tiles, you must completely clean the flooring from dirt and dust. Pay attention to the grouting. If it has cracks, be sure to remove it.
The next step is to coat the substrate with a primer to help create a roughened finish. This step will significantly increase the adhesion of the materials. Despite the fact that this kind of primer is quite expensive, it helps to significantly speed up the masonry process and increase the quality of work.
There is also another preparation method that excludes the use of an expensive primer. In this case, it is necessary to remove the glaze layer from the old coating. This procedure is easily carried out using a grinder and a standard emery wheel. The surface must be well scratched, which increases adhesion by a large number of times.
In addition, there is a manual method, sandpaper is also used for it, or a special grinding float with a special attachment.
And the last option is to create notches on the tiles. With the help of a grinder, only 60% of the glaze layer is removed, while notches are made on the rest of the surface. You can execute them with any tool that allows you to do this. This method is the most laborious and takes a long period of time. That is why experts do not use it very often.
Laying tiles on old floor tiles
It's time to take a look directly at how to lay tiles on top of old tiles. In particular, we offer a step-by-step algorithm of actions, which highly qualified specialists shared with us:
- The first step is to knead the solution. For its preparation, a ready-made glue mixture and ordinary water are used. Pour some water into the container, then add the glue mixture there. Then it is necessary to mix the composition until smooth. It is very important to dilute the mixture strictly according to the instructions on the package.
The next step is to apply the solution to the floor. Note that the application itself is carried out with a smooth trowel, while further leveling using a notched trowel. This solution avoids excess glue.
- The next step is to lay the floor tiles on top of the old tiles and press them firmly. It is imperative to ensure that each element is laid out in level. This can be helped by the use of special floor leveling devices (SVP). Note, if there is any mistake in leveling, you should take a little more mixture and repeat the installation.
- After you have managed to put the tiles in the bathroom on the old tiles, it is recommended not to walk on the floor for 3-4 days. For the most part, a day is enough for the glue to dry, but you should not risk it.
- After three days, it is necessary to grout the joints, which is done using a special mixture and a rubber trowel.
Tips & Tricks
- If you decide to put a new one on the old tile, during the installation itself it is necessary to process only the base with an adhesive mixture, it is not applied to the material itself.
- In addition, if a standard mix is used, the substrate should be prepared more carefully as the adhesion level should be maximized.
- All surfaces except the processed ones must be covered to protect them from the effects of the primer, this also applies to communication systems.
Thus, we fully revealed the topic and answered the question whether it is possible to put ceramic tiles on tiles. In addition, we recommend that you watch a video that clearly shows and tells how you can put a new tile on a tile.
When decorating a kitchen, it is the floor that becomes an important factor. Today there are many options, but nevertheless, the son-in-law of the technology of laying tents is important
The technology of laying tiles on the floor in the bathroom, features of the preparation of the screed and the choice of the correct waterproofing with video. How to properly lay floor tiles on the floor
The basics of floor repair in an apartment have their own subtleties. Each technology requires consistency in its work. This method is popular due to its low final cost. True, everything will depend on the material purchased
How To Put Tiles In The Bathroom On The Floor And Walls Correctly, Video. Do-it-yourself Ceramic And Tiled Tile Laying Technology
A detailed video review on laying tiles on the floor with your own hands, tips and instructions from tiling specialists will help you lay tiles quickly and efficiently
The installation of the toilet is independently divided into several stages - dismantling the old toilet, preparing for the installation of a new layout and the installation itself. Learn about the finer points of the process that will help you assemble and install the toilet