2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- Functions and advantages
- Place of installation
- Connecting the thermostat to water heated floors
- Connection to electric underfloor heating
- Right choice
When connecting the underfloor heating system, the room must be constantly maintained at the optimum temperature. To solve this issue, a thermostat for a warm floor is used in operation. You can not get around without it when the installation is done. This is an integral part of the operation of the entire system.
The warm floor cannot bring any pleasure if it is simply connected to the electrical network. And this is despite the fact that he can still work. True, not such a long period, and with large financial investments. For the duration of the work, as well as its correctness, the floor heating thermostat will be responsible. With its help, favorable conditions are created in the rooms of an apartment or house.
There are a large number of classifications of these devices. All of them will differ from each other according to certain characteristics, functions that he is able to perform during operation.
When connecting a warm floor to a thermostat, the required temperature will be maintained in the premises. It "reads" information from the temperature sensor, after which, when the limit values are reached, it automatically disconnects from the power supply. Some may think that at this point the thermostat itself also goes into standby mode. In reality, this is not entirely true. It continues to monitor the readings, and if necessary, when the permissible temperature drops below the limit, the power supply is restarted.
Each of the thermostats has its own set. The main one is a temperature sensor, a box for installation, terminals, an instruction that allows installation and operation in the desired direction.
Functions and advantages
Among all the possible functions of the thermostat, the most basic one can be distinguished - to maintain the temperature in the room at the required level. This is obtained by turning on or off the elements of underfloor heating. Thus, it further reduces power consumption, since the power is switched on at regular intervals. If you use a thermostat for a warm floor, you save money on heating. Many will say that this device costs decent money. This is true, especially when it comes to quality products. But it pays off within the first months of use. Everything will depend on the specific cost of the thermostat.
One more very important factor can also be attributed here, which indicates the thermostat of the warm floor from the positive side. No overheating of the heaters will occur if the system is working correctly and without interruption. This solution extends their useful life, and also prevents them from breaking at elevated temperatures.
The underfloor heating system can perfectly do without this device. In this case, everything should be done independently. Constantly monitor the temperature level, turn on the power and turn it off when a certain temperature is reached. This leads to a decrease to a minimum of a comfortable level, distraction from household chores and constant work, slightly increased energy consumption.
If you independently control the operation of the heated floor, very often burnout of the elements occurs due to the inopportune power off. It is not always possible to do this by the hour. Everyone can forget and there is no way to get rid of it. Therefore, it will be much more pleasant and easier to purchase a thermostat, install it according to the rules, and enjoy its work.
There are many indicators by which a thermostat for a warm floor can be classified. This can be the type and type of sensor, indoor location, etc. The basic principle of all that is possible is the principle of action. According to it, devices are divided into the following:
- Electronic (digital). It coincides with the principle of operation with the electronic-mechanical version, but has the main difference - the way in which the temperature in the sensor is set. The wheel is not used here to change the indicators, but there are touch devices and corresponding buttons. Additional information is displayed on the display, which can have various parameters.
Electronic and mechanical. The work is the same on the principle of the iron. No specific temperature is specified here. But when the temperature limit is reached, the thermostat turns off and turns on again when the system cools down. It will be enough to drop the air temperature by a few degrees for work to resume and the power to be turned on. To raise the limits or lower them, they are guided by their own intuition. When the room is hot, the wheel is directed in one direction, in cold weather - in the opposite direction.
This device has its main advantages, which are that they have an acceptable cost, and besides, they are very easy to install and handle during operation.
- Programmable. These thermostats can even be called "smart". They are able not only to maintain the temperature, but also to enter a program to turn it on or off at a certain time, leave it in working order for a certain time, or turn it off, for example, at night. The possibilities will depend on the perfection of the device, the manufacturer and the cost.
The last version of the thermostat is not recommended for small premises. This is due to the fact that heating may be required at any moment and it happens instantly.
But this is just one of the device classifications. In addition, the following types of thermostats for warm floors can be distinguished:
- By power. The device will not be able to fully operate above the maximum permissible load. You should carefully study this item during purchase and before connecting. If necessary, they can be used in separate rooms to share the load. To prevent system overloads, a magnetic starter is additionally purchased, which creates a protective barrier in this direction.
- By mounting option. When installing built-in thermostats, a hole is made in the wall. And overhead - a special box for installation is used, which is simply attached to the wall. Each unit is supplied with a diagram at the time of purchase. She should be guided during installation.
- System control with built-in or remote floor heating sensors.
- By the amount of functionality.
- In appearance, etc.
Place of installation
There are practically no serious restrictions on where exactly to install a thermostat for a warm floor. The main thing is that the temperature sensor for the warm floor is fully functional. There are only basic wishes. It is not recommended to mount them low, as it will make it difficult to manage them, create a program. A special place is occupied by wet rooms (bathroom, sauna), when the device can be located only outside of it, that is, outside. This will keep it in working order throughout its entire service life.
Almost all thermostats are leaky. With an increased level of humidity, they begin to work incorrectly, fail. They have no class of protection, which leads to the creation of certain conditions for safety.
The savings start when the device is installed in adjacent rooms. You can install a two-zone thermostat that can control the temperature level in a single room. They will not bear any harm to each other.
Connecting the thermostat to water heated floors
When using a water heated floor in operation, the thermostat is presented in the form of a device capable of controlling a servo drive. It regulates the supply of the heat carrier to the heating places. Their control can be not only manual, but also electronic. Here, the floor heating thermostat sensor monitors the air temperature, not the floor temperature. Everything is connected with the high inertia of heating. The installation sequence is as follows:
- The height of the sensor is 1.0-1.2 meters from the floor. It is even attached together with a thermostat. At the same time, the wall itself, where the devices are fixed, should not be additionally warmed up by heating radiators.
- The sensor and thermostat power supply circuits are being installed.
- When an electrical version of the device is used, the necessary cable is laid.
- The radio-controlled sensor is configured in the desired mode.
An external thermometer allows you to check the functionality of the entire system. The temperature is measured over several hours. During all this time, it should not deviate much from the average.
In the process of work, various materials for a warm floor can be used, among which there are fittings for a warm floor. Disconnect the circuit breaker during installation for your own safety.
Connection to electric underfloor heating
Before starting work on the installation of the thermostat, you should correctly and correctly arrange the electric floor heating itself. For this, all preparatory measures are taken, a heating cable or infrared film is laid. After that, the selected floor screed is made, after which the floor covering or other finishing surface is laid. Only then can you start setting up and connecting a thermostat for a warm floor strictly according to the points:
- The location of the device in the room is determined. It must be connected without fail to an electrical network with a voltage of 220V AC.
- The location of the underfloor heating temperature sensor is selected. Usually they choose a place close to the thermostat itself. In this case, there should be no furniture located nearby. In a slightly different way, the sensor is fixed from infrared floors - from the wrong side of the film, after which it is connected to the wiring that goes to the thermostat.
- Cable heat-insulated floors are filled with a screed. Therefore, it is worth worrying about the heat sensor, which is placed in the corrugated pipe. Concrete should not get into it, under any circumstances. Subsequently, the pipe is brought out to the wall, where the main device is installed. The regulator is installed only after the floor has been screed.
- In necessary cases, a magnetic starter is used if the power of the contacts of the heat regulation system is less than the power of the infrared floor or the heating cable used. Otherwise, a direct connection is used.
During installation, the phasing should be strictly observed. For this, there are wire colors: brown, black or white wires are selected for the phase, the neutral wire remains blue. Otherwise, it is better to use an indicator screwdriver.
When a floor heating thermostat is selected, it must perform the functions of not only connecting or disconnecting the power to the entire system, but also controlling the temperature level in the room. In this case, the switching power must be fully observed. Usually it is 3 kW.
When it comes to the air temperature level sensor, then you should be careful and accurate. Heat can be affected by drafts, electrical and household appliances, air currents and many other reasons.
The most popular are electronic devices with floor sensors. They are distinguished by an acceptable cost of production, ease of use, and a high level of reliability during operation. In certain situations, sensors and instruments alone may be ineffective for operating and maintaining room temperatures.
In any case, the installation of thermostats helps to reduce energy costs and financial investments. They pay off very quickly and are subsequently used for their intended purpose.
Components of the collector group in the underfloor heating system, the procedure for installing the components of the collector group, conditions for the correct switching on of the system after installation
Choosing A Heat Meter. How To Calculate The Benefits Of Installing A Heat Meter For Heating In An Apartment
There are thermal tachometric and ultrasonic meters for heat metering for heating an apartment. Consider the cost of metering devices and calculate the heating by an individual meter in an apartment with an installed heat meter according to different formulas
Features of creating a structure for a warm floor of a water floor without pouring a concrete screed, rules for laying a pipeline, polystyrene and wood flooring technology
Selection of a set of materials for laying tiles on a warm floor, installation features of certain types of underfloor heating, installation of sensors and thermostats
Choosing the best insulation option for a warm concrete floor, using foam, depending on the base of the floor, creating a warm floor under a concrete screed