2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- Significant advantages of balcony thresholds
- Materials for the manufacture of thresholds
- Using bricks as a base
- Preparatory stage of arrangement
- Sill tiling
- Threshold made of plastic and laminate
- Option for making an exit to the balcony without a step
After installing the door to the balcony, there is always a desire to efficiently and practically fulfill the threshold. And if we are talking about the criteria for fulfilling a high-quality threshold option, then it is worth considering a number of tips that will fully answer the question of how to make a threshold to the balcony yourself - various options. After all, the importance of this design will allow you to create the required type of decor and select the material for the implementation of this element.
Significant advantages of balcony thresholds
This structural element has a number of advantages that make it possible to more fully exploit the balcony room. At the same time, it should be noted that design solutions and correctly selected material will provide a number of advantages, namely:
- The ability to limit the penetration of moisture and moisture.
- With the option of open balconies. Indeed, during precipitation, part of the water can remain on the surface of the balcony and penetrate into the room. A correctly executed threshold will provide a barrier and protection of the interior space of the room.
- The use of a threshold allows you to remove cold bridges and limit freezing of the surface, with an uninsulated balcony. It also provides additional support for door placement and a specific locking process.
- The practicality of the location of the threshold will visually divide the space of the room and the balcony, allowing more practical movement from each of the rooms.
An important process is the installation of the window sill to the window, its reliability in operation depends on the choice of mounting method.
Materials for the manufacture of thresholds
Correctly selected material for making a threshold for a balcony. It will allow you to exclude its rapid abrasion and give a reason to perform all the assigned functions in front of this element. And here it is worthwhile to carefully divide for yourself the choice of a decorative solution or the creation of a significant obstacle, in the form of a threshold in the balcony doorway.
The main materials for the threshold will be:
- Cement-sand mortar;
- Based on laminated boards;
- Made of PVC plastic.
Each of the proposed options has its own design features. At the same time, not for each of the premises one or another version of the threshold is suitable, since subsequently the entire room will be finished and a more relevant transformation of the space will be created. Therefore, it is worth paying more attention to the choice of material, taking into account the specifics and functionality of the room where this element will be located.
Using bricks as a base
In the case where there is a significant difference in height in the room and the balcony space, an additional support is required for the mounted door frame. And the choice in favor of brickwork will be very visible. After all, the implementation of this kind of design will allow you to firmly place the door and create the necessary development for the subsequent decoration of the doorway. Performing this type of construction work will require the following operations, taking into account which a strong and durable threshold based on brickwork will be formed.
- The relevance of performing the threshold will be detailed measurements, which will allow in the future to position the door frame and correctly remove a significant difference in two rooms.
- This is followed by practical and high-quality cleaning of the existing area, under the location of the brick, removing the dried mortar or other dirt. After that, a primer is applied and sprayed, for uniform adhesion of the cement-sand mortar and the existing base.
- When performing brickwork, it is worth using a cement-sand mortar, which will allow you to combine each of the placed bricks and create a reliable adhesion to the existing concrete base.
- It is worth noting that the masonry should be made of bricks, which are not subject to excessive moisture absorption and accumulation of air inside themselves, and the existing holes will create a solution for heat exchange in the subsequent operation of the threshold.
- Having completed the brickwork and evenly distributing the mortar, it is worth worrying about the surface finish. And here you can resort to using tiles or decorative cool mass. Due to this, the threshold will acquire an unusually attractive and practical appearance.
It will also be important to complete all the necessary tools and construction materials, due to which it will be possible to start the required construction work.
- Mixer, stirring the glue base or cement-sand mortar;
- Perforated corner, if necessary, creating the perfect contour of the threshold;
- Glue mortar, or cement-sand mixture;
- Spatula, for even distribution of mortar or adhesive;
- Hammer for even placement of bricks;
- Gypsum or cement mortar for the final finishing of the threshold;
- Level, creation of a flat surface and control of the performed threshold masonry;
- Roulette, deduction of dimensions and required threshold parameters.
In this case, it will be possible to perform a high-quality threshold on the balcony, without worrying about a lack of tools or inappropriate quality control of the resulting solution. The created threshold will be able to perfectly perform its functions and change the options for operating the balcony room.
It is worth noting that when performing a brick balcony threshold from the outside, it is necessary to take care of additional sealing. This will be necessary in the case of open balconies and the possibility of moisture ingress.
Preparatory stage of arrangement
It is worth noting that it is important to prepare the base of the future threshold, which is experiencing a decent load, and simply blowing out the voids with foam is not the best option.
- In the case of a minimum height difference in two rooms, the threshold in front of the balcony can be made of cement-sand mortar. Having previously completed the appropriate procedures for measuring and preparing the base. And it will also require the creation of formwork and minimal reinforcement.
- First of all, it is worth treating in detail and cleaning the surface of the mortar placement, then drill the required amount of reinforcement around the perimeter and lay the masonry mesh. Due to this, the strong and reliable main and uniform structure of the threshold with the existing base of the floor will be stripped.
- After that, it will be necessary to assemble the minimum formwork from wood, for the subsequent permission of the cement-sand mortar. And here it is worth understanding that it is important to assemble the box with high quality, ensuring that the mixture does not flow from it. For this, individual areas of abutment to uneven walls can be sealed with sealants along the perimeter of the formwork.
- After that, the cement-sand mixture is mixed, it is important to prepare a not very liquid solution.
- The result is a solid surface for a perfect sill appearance. After drying, it will be possible to finish the threshold with tiles or laminate.
The tile is perhaps the best and unpretentious option for arranging a threshold on a bolkon or loggia.
In the process of tiling the threshold with tiles, it is important to use a level and bring out the ideal surface of the abutment of each of the elements to the installed door. This will not only create a flat surface, but also provide an unusually realistic decor option. At the same time, to fix the tiles, it is worth using a special adhesive solution, which is evenly applied to the surface of each of the elements.
Threshold made of plastic and laminate
In the absence of elevation differences, a laminate threshold can be an optimal solution. Also, the solution will allow you to structurally highlight the doorway to the balcony and give a visual combination of the material with the floor.
Today there are a large number of ready-made solutions based on plastic and PVC window sills. Allowing, taking into account the width of the doorway, to install this structure on the concrete base.
To do this, you will need to securely attach to the tile adhesive solution, provided that the base is flat, this will be more reliable than polyurethane foam.
Option for making an exit to the balcony without a step
Perhaps it is worth considering the option when you can do without using a special step. If you have a glazed and insulated loggia and a brick threshold, then it is possible to simply remove it and level it with the floor.
In addition, we recommend watching the video on the installation of balcony thresholds, which will help you understand the details and choose the right option.
Which Ceiling Lighting System Is Best To Choose, Which Luminaire Is Suitable For Each Type Of Ceiling
There are many types of ceiling lighting, consider the most popular types with a brief description. This will help you choose a lighting fixture for the type of ceiling in your apartment
How To Choose A Cordless Screwdriver Correctly. Disadvantages Of The Makita, Hitachi, BOSCH, METABO Screwdriver - Which One To Choose, Reviews
How to choose the right cordless screwdriver. Almost the majority of users of construction tools prefer to have a universal tool on the farm. The motives for such a desire are quite natural: it is more rational to have one tool in the household that can replace several. The savings in money and shelf space in the closet are obvious. However, everything that exists has both its advantages and disadvantages, and a universal tool powered by batteries does not constitute
A very important issue of repair is the purchase of plumbing, in particular, the question is acute, which bath is better to choose and how to avoid mistakes when choosing it. To do this, you need to know what types of baths exist, as well as all their features
Which heated towel rail is better than an electric or water heated towel rail how to choose the right Features and types of systems, heated towel rail models. How to install a heated towel rail with your own hands? Step-by-step actions and video for connecting to the water supply
When choosing a gasoline-powered tool, many prefer the products of the HUSQVARNA company. Features of choosing a model of chainsaws from a low price category, an overview of models