2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- Reasons for removing a double-glazed window
- How is the glass unit fixed?
- Tools for work
- How to remove a glass unit from a plastic frame with your own hands?
- Removing the glass
- We carry out the installation of a double-glazed window with our own hands
The main component of any plastic window is a glass unit. Unfortunately, quite often there are situations in which it can be damaged, and therefore everyone should know how to remove a glass unit from a plastic window and replace it. In this article, you will learn how you can repair windows yourself, replace a glass unit or glass in it.
Reasons for removing a double-glazed window
Among the main reasons in connection with which it is required to pull out the glass unit are the following:
- First of all, the most common reason is the replacement of a glass unit with a better one.
- Also, the cause is damage to the glass unit.
- In case of loss of tightness of a glass unit, which occurs due to poor quality or improper installation.
- Also, when finishing the slopes, the double-glazed windows are removed (in case there is no access from the outside, or the windows are deaf).
Thus, there are a lot of reasons to pull the glass unit out of the frame, but as not many people know. To begin with, it should be noted that the process itself is not particularly complicated, but at the same time there is a number of knowledge that is simply necessary to carry out the work.
How is the glass unit fixed?
First you need to understand exactly how the glass unit is fixed in the frame. And here there is nothing complicated, in plastic windows, as in any other, it is fastened using special glazing beads.
It should be noted that these are not familiar to everyone glazing beads, familiar from the time of standard wooden window systems. And therefore, in order not to damage the glass during removal, their location should be taken into account.
Tools for work
So, in order to pull the glass unit out of the frame, you will need a certain number of tools. Among them will be present:
- Putty knife;
- Protective gloves are required to avoid cuts or other damage;
- You also need a knife, preferably a construction one;
- And the last are the rubber suction cups.
How to remove a glass unit from a plastic frame with your own hands?
So, let's go directly to the technological process. But it should be noted that before removing the glass unit directly, the sash should be removed. This process is not difficult. To do this, it is enough to remove the retaining rod from the upper hinge of the sash, and then remove it. The sash itself should be firmly leaned against the wall during the work. All the preparatory work has been completed and you can proceed directly to the process of removing the glass unit.
Well, we are considering step by step instructions:
- To get started, take a knife or spatula in your hands, and then attach the tool to the vertical seam, between the frame and the glazing bead.
Next, you need to very carefully pry off the glazing bead and move it a little.
- Such actions should be carried out along the entire length of the seam. In this case, it is necessary to do everything as carefully and carefully as possible, since there is a risk of inadvertently scratching or causing other damage to the window frame. Accordingly, this will significantly affect her appearance.
Then remove the glazing bead and set it aside.
- Disassemble the horizontal glazing beads and the second vertical in the same way. It is very important that the second should be removed the lower horizontal, and after the second vertical bead. The top one is removed last.
- At the same time, pay attention to the fact that when removing the last glazing beads, you should hold the glass, as it may fall out.
- So, after removing the glazing beads, you can already pull the glass unit out of the window. For this, you will need rubber suction cups. But, of course, if you do not have such a device, then you can do it with your hands, slightly tilting the frame towards you, the glass unit will move away and you can take it by hand. You can also pry it with your finger and knock it over yourself.
- After that, take the glass on the sides and carefully remove it completely.
Note that for large windows, this work must be carried out with an assistant, since during the removal of glazing beads, in this case, it will be necessary to insure the glass unit from falling.
Removing the glass
So, also in case of damage, it may be necessary to remove the glass from the glass unit, which is also not a particularly difficult task. In a little more detail, for this you need to do the following:
- To begin with, you should slightly cut the sealant layer on the glass unit. It is best to use a construction knife for this.
- Then we completely remove the sealant located along the contour in order to get to the aluminum frame.
- Then you can easily remove the glass and replace it.
- Next, you need to provide a new layer of sealant.
Thus, the glass is replaced. The process is even somewhat simpler than removing the glass unit itself, but it must be performed with even greater care, since in this case the risk of damaging the structure is much greater.
We carry out the installation of a double-glazed window with our own hands
Now it's time to analyze the issue of collecting the entire system back. And we will also consider in the form of step-by-step instructions, briefly and as clearly as possible:
First, before starting work, you should check the cleanliness of the opening, since the frame folds must be completely clean.
- Unlike the dismantling process, in this case, a double-glazed window is inserted first, and then horizontal glazing beads are installed.
So, we insert the tail of the glazing bead into a special groove, after which we hammer it with a special hammer. In this case, a rubber mallet is used. The direct blows should not be strong and are carried out starting from the corners towards the center.
- Further, the rest of the elements are mounted in the same way.
- Now you can start a little tidying up. In particular, wipe the installed glass unit, or remove the protective film if it is new. If there are any scratches on the frame, remove them with a fine emery cloth.
This completes the process. As you can see, the task is quite simple, and you can do it yourself without the help of a specialist. The only thing that needs to be clearly understood is the seriousness of the task and the fact that the glass unit is a very fragile and vulnerable part. Therefore, the entire process should be carried out as carefully as possible, and only when absolutely necessary. Read how to properly regulate the ventilation of a PVC window.
Stained glass will become a real decoration of the interior and will turn into your hobby.Description of various techniques for creating stained glass at home. The choice of materials and the nuances of work
How to paint a windowsill: instructions for painting with your own hands, the better, videos and photos. Review of paints for plastic windowsills, features of PaliPlast RP Base paint for plastic
Recommendations on how to remove a mosquito net from a plastic window: frame, sliding on a plunger. The peculiarity of this design is the ability to move aside, using special sliders and guides for this
Methods on how to deal with stains and yellowness that appear on the walls and ceiling here are simple ways to get rid of various types of stains and dirt (video)
A simple economical way to replace glass in a broken plastic window with a glass unit at home, a detailed video of the process of repairing a broken window