2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- Reliability of interior glass doors
- Varieties of glass doors
- Pros and cons of glass bathroom doors
- What to look for when choosing doors?
- Features of installing glass doors
- Caring for glass doors in the bathroom
Door installation takes place at the very last, final stage of bathroom renovation. The general style of the room depends on what kind of doors will be. Today, glass doors are popular, which, thanks to the material of manufacture, give sophistication and elegance to the interior, and also meet all the requirements for doors installed in the bathroom.
Reliability of interior glass doors
The first association that occurs when glass is mentioned is fragility. However, this is not always true. Modern technologies make it possible to obtain interior doors made of glass with a high strength and resistance to mechanical damage. You can only break a glass door by hitting it with a heavy metal object. But which homeowner would go for it? Domestic and foreign manufacturers of interior doors made of glass, in the rich variety of those present on the markets, use the latest technologies that improve many of the basic characteristics of glass. At the moment, tempered glass is used for the production of door leaf, as well as crystal glass, the thickness of which is at least 1 cm. If such a leaf can be broken, then it will not cause any damage to the health of the inhabitants of the house,since it is shatterproof, that is, it crumbles into small finishing blunt pieces.
Glass is smelted from refined quartz sand, the process temperature is about 1200 degrees Celsius. To enhance transparency and play of light, a small amount of lead is added to the main composition. Interior doors of this type are the most common choice of households throughout the country. A distinctive feature of tempered glass is its increased strength: the material is hardened several times at a furnace temperature of at least 600 degrees Celsius. With this approach, the strength of the glass increases by almost 10 times. After tempering, the glass sheet is subjected to a number of additional checks. Many manufacturers test the strength by throwing metal balls onto glass from a height of 1 meter. Due to its high reliability and resistance to damage of tempered glass,such doors are often used in crowded places. Vivid examples of such an interior item can be found in Moscow supermarkets and shopping centers. In the manufacture of sliding doors or to insert colored stained glass windows, triplex glass is used. These are, in a way, two glass sheets, between which there is a special adhesive film of different colors. Such interior doors have a stunning visual effect and a variety of decorative finishes. Such interior doors have a stunning visual effect and a variety of decorative finishes. Such interior doors have a stunning visual effect and a variety of decorative finishes.
Varieties of glass doors
The glass door creates a certain zest in the bathroom, making its design more modern. Apart from its functionality, the glass door is a catchy component of the bathroom interior. Very often, the bathroom is replete with an abundance of chrome-plated details: faucets, shower, mirror framing and cupboards, so a glass door will complement the composition.
In addition, the glass door can serve as an additional light source for the room. It can be decorated with stained glass or multi-colored painting.
Glass doors by their type of design can be:
Swing. Such doors in their design can have one or two leaves, which are fixed on hinges and can open in one direction or another. This is the most popular door type among consumers.
Pendulum. This type of door also has a hinged door, but it can open in both directions: towards itself and away from itself.
Sliding. This design is a guide rail along which the door moves to one side. The choice of such doors is often due to the presence of a small space, since the opening door moves along the wall.
Sliding. In this type of door, there are two guides and two door leaves. When opened, they move apart in different directions. This design is often used to make doors in the form of an accordion.
- In most cases, all doors are mounted on a special door frame, which provides additional sound insulation. Glass doors can be installed directly on the doorway. Also, glass doors can be divided according to the type of their shape:
- Straight-line - represent the doors of the usual rectangular shape, are used in apartments with a standard layout;
- Curvilinear - these include radius doors used in the presence of a non-standard semicircular opening.
As for the dimensions of glass doors, their dimensions do not differ from wooden doors. The dimensions of standard doors in height are equal to 1980 mm and higher, and the width varies between 610-860 mm, depending on the width of the opening.
Pros and cons of glass bathroom doors
Glass is quite a fragile material, however, despite this, glass doors will delight with their durability and strength. The advantages of these doors are:
- The water resistance of the material allows you to install the door in the bathroom. If, in the case of wooden doors, there is a risk of gradual deterioration of the material due to high humidity, then the glass has a longer service life;
- Resistant to temperature extremes. The bathroom is a place where warm and cold masses of air constantly circulate. Glass does not deteriorate with a constant change in the degree of air;
- Material durability. Glass for the manufacture of doors is tempered, which increases its shockproof properties, and the thickness of glass in such doors is usually from 7 to 10 mm;
- Visual expansion of space. The bathroom is usually small, and the glass door, due to its transparency, will help to visually increase the area of the room;
- The material is versatile and allows the use of glass doors in any shape of doorways;
- Do not bother with door fittings: for glass models, the same fittings are used as for wooden door options;
- Aesthetic appearance of the door. Glass provides ample room design possibilities, which any other material cannot boast of;
Easy to care for. Glass material is not afraid of chemicals and cleaning agents.
The advantages of glass bathroom doors greatly outweigh the disadvantages, which include:
- The high cost of the glass sheet for the door, as well as the work performed during installation;
- The ability of glass to accumulate condensation: as in the case of a bathroom mirror, droplets of evaporated moisture will collect on the glass.
The last minus is easily eliminated by wiping the door with a dry soft cloth, as well as by airing the room after taking water procedures.
What to look for when choosing doors?
When choosing a glass door to the bathroom, you should pay attention to the following nuances:
- Door mounting method. It is necessary to decide whether the door will be installed using a door frame, or in a frameless way. In the second case, you may need the help of professionals.
- Glass type. Today, among the offered glass doors, the following materials are used: tempered glass - has high strength, is very often used in frameless doors; triplex - equipped with a special protective film inside the glass; combined composition - a protective hard film is applied to the glass on both sides.
- The size of the door structure. It is important to correctly measure the dimensions of the doorway, and if a door frame is used in the installation, it is necessary to subtract its width to obtain the dimensions of the finished door;
- Glass door decor. Of course, you can buy a one-piece glass door without any drawings, but why be banal, if today they offer so many different door decor options, for example:
- Drawing made with stained glass paints;
- A film that is glued to the glass surface and can have a variety of images;
- Spraying: this method has a relatively high cost, however, it can be used to create any pattern and make the door opaque;
- Stained glass - pieces of glass of various colors decorate the door, creating whimsical images;
- Fusing is a glass melting technique that creates a variety of shapes.
- Supplied accessories. Most likely, the doors are equipped with budget handles and a lock. If you are not satisfied with this option, you must purchase the accessories separately.
Door cost. This factor depends on all of the above selection criteria.
Features of installing glass doors
Having picked up the glass door to the bathroom, you need to proceed to its installation. If you have ever dealt with the installation of conventional swing doors, then questions and difficulties should not arise. If a sliding door was purchased, you may need the help of a master. The whole process consists of the following stages:
- A door frame is installed, or guide rails along which the door will move;
- Marking is made for attaching loops;
- Fasteners are installed;
- The door itself is being installed;
- Door fittings are mounted;
- At the end of the installation, the door is adjusted.
The swing door is adjusted with a screwdriver, which tightens the hinges, thereby relaxing its movement, or vice versa, tightening it.
Caring for glass doors in the bathroom
During operation, proper care of the glass door is necessary. It contains the same principles as for the care of any other glass elements:
- As the door becomes dirty, clean it with a special glass cleaner;
- Wipe chrome-plated hinges or slats with specially designed solutions;
- Lubricate moving mechanisms with special oil from time to time;
- If the door has decor, it is cared for according to the manufacturer's recommendations.
Follow the rules for using a glass door and it will serve for many years, giving visual pleasure and functionality.
Stained-glass windows in the interior of a modern house give it lightness, airiness and unique chic. Description of methods and technologies for creating modern stained-glass windows. Photo and video
Glass door hinges are different from conventional hinges. Description of types and methods of fasteners for glass door leaf. Fastening with and without drilling, tips for choosing. Video instruction for the installation of hinges
A simple economical way to replace glass in a broken plastic window with a glass unit at home, a detailed video of the process of repairing a broken window
Green Color In The Interior Of The Living Room, Kitchen, Bedroom, Nursery, Bathroom, Office Or Study
In the interior, the meaning of green is clear for everyone: harmony and nature, life, naturalness and kindness
Leafing through magazines, you often pay attention to the interior of the premises, notice interesting features, compare it with the design of your house or apartment