2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- Preparatory work
- Tools and materials
- Preparation of the installation site for PVC window sill
- Installing a plastic window sill
- An exception is the installation of wooden window sills
- Preparing the walls
- Window sill alignment
- Fastening a wooden window sill
- Sealing and strengthening of fastening
When replacing old window structures, it is necessary to immediately install new window sills made of modern materials. Today, plastic products are at the top of popularity. The width of the PVC panel is 60 cm, which makes it possible to install them with almost any wall thickness. How to install a plastic window sill efficiently and reliably, read on.
- Preparatory work
- Installing a plastic window sill
- An exception is the installation of wooden structures
The preparatory stage includes measurement and selection of a design, selection of tools, purchase of building materials. If the glass units have not been replaced, you will need to dismantle the old window sill board. When replacing a window, the old window structure is completely removed. The installation of a new glass unit is carried out by the manufacturer's specialists. Installation of a plastic window sill can also be carried out by specialists or independently by the customer.
Installation of a plastic window sill is carried out only after installing the window frame and glass unit.
When replacing only the panel, you must first make the correct measurement:
- Measure the width of the window opening. Throw in another 10 cm and get the total length of the structure.
- The width of the panel is equal to the distance from the installed window to the corner of the wall plus 5 cm per ledge. It is impractical to make the base of the window wider, since air circulation is impaired, which leads to fogging of the glass.
Read a more detailed article on the topic: the correct height and width of the window sill.
Tools and materials
To install a plastic window sill with your own hands, you need a set of tools:
- carpenter level;
- electric jigsaw or grinder;
- joiner's knife and hacksaw;
- ax and hammer;
- marker and masking tape.
Materials should be prepared:
- gun and polyurethane foam;
- window sill panel;
- three sets of substrates made of plastic or wood of different widths;
- two end caps.
Preparation of the installation site for PVC window sill
With the help of a hacksaw, an electric jigsaw, an ax, they remove the old structure and the window frame. The cement screed is removed along the edges of the wooden product. They clean the opening from the breakaway building material, insulation.
Experts install a new PVC window so that a distance of at least 5 cm remains between the base of the window opening and the bottom of the frame. The left opening will serve as a support for the new structure.
If you plan to install a PVC window sill with your own hands longer than the window opening, grooves are sampled on the sides at the base. This requires a hammer and grinder. First, the walls are cut, and then the building material is carefully knocked out with a hammer. The height of the groove is made so that the new panel fits easily. The length of one groove is more than 5 cm.
The distance between the base of the window opening and the frame is foamed with polyurethane foam or laid with insulation. After the foam has completely solidified, cut off the excess with a carpenter's knife. When installing a plastic panel in the size of a window opening, mark the attachment points for the brackets at a distance of no more than 80 cm.
We recommend that you look at the article why plastic windows fog up.
Before installing the PVC product, you must once again clean the base from debris and dust. Be sure to wet the brick with water to ensure adhesion.
Installing a plastic window sill
All materials have been purchased and the tools are ready to go. The installation of the window sill is started.
- Determine the width of the structure. It can be the same as the width of the old base. When replacing windows and installing a new PVC product, its new width is calculated. Ideally, the edge of the panel is in the same plane as the middle of the heating system battery. When installing the panel, the edge of which protrudes beyond the battery, ventilate holes in the panel itself. Such holes are made in the casing in front of the battery. They are needed for good ventilation of the air in front of the window, which protects the window structure from condensation.
- The length of the plastic base is selected. When two windows are located next to each other, preference is given to one integral structure. When installing PVC window sills in size equal to the window opening, the panel length is made shorter by 10 mm.
According to the selected dimensions, the panels are ordered in a hardware store. Shop foremen immediately carry out pruning according to the specified parameters. Sometimes they buy a blank, and do the trimming at home on their own.
- The support for the installation of plastic window sills is made from pre-purchased substrates. The width of the bar should be at least 50 mm, and the length should not exceed the width of the product. The shortest underlay should be 100 mm less than the panel width. Particular attention is paid to the thickness of the substrate. After installing the block, the panel should enter the space under the window sill between the lower window frame and the substrate.
- Before installing the substrate bars, the surface of the base is leveled with cement mortar. At least three substrates are required for one structure. The optimal distance between the bars is 40-50 cm.
- The supports are aligned strictly horizontally and check the correct installation using a level in all planes. Make a control installation of the plastic panel. The result of correct fastening of the substrate is the tight fit of the structure into the gap between the edge of the window and the support.
- Do-it-yourself installation of plastic window sills begins with removing the protective film from the side adjacent to the window. Install plugs on the ends of the panel. Carefully insert the structure onto the fixed supports.
- The panel snaps into place. By lightly tapping, align the product in relation to the window frame. A control measurement is carried out with a level in two directions.
- On the right and left, gaps of 5 mm are left, which makes it possible to protect the panel from deformation. At the end of the installation, the gaps are sealed with sealant.
- Gently foam the space under the plastic window sill with polyurethane foam. If the panel is poorly fixed, it will skew from an increase in foam in volume.
- Spacers are installed along the edges and in the center of the window opening. They are made independently or buy transforming spacers in the store. They do not allow the foam to lift the installed base of the window opening. When the foam hardens well, the spacers are dismantled and the excess foam is cut off.
- After the slopes are installed, they begin to seal the gaps. Masking tape is glued along the edges. Fill the gap with silicone sealant. Remove excess and remove masking tape.
- The protective film is removed after completion of the work.
If you stain your window sill with foam, read how to remove foam from the surface.
An exception is the installation of wooden window sills
Window sills made of oak, pine, beech, ash or cherry wood make the interior of the house warmer and more comfortable. Giving preference to natural materials, many owners of apartments and houses, instead of artificial plastic, choose natural wooden bases. Stores sell wood panels, varnished in different shades with different surface textures. Having made their choice, they begin to install a wooden window sill with their own hands.
Preparing the walls
The base is cleaned from dust and debris. The surface is wetted with water to ensure good adhesion. If there is a niche under the window, metal or wooden supports are laid horizontally on top so that the panel does not hang in the air. In this case, a wooden structure is put on a metal frame.
Window sill alignment
Pre-expose the window sill with wedges, achieving its slope into the room by only 2 degrees. The board is placed horizontally along the window. When all the necessary indicators are achieved, the wedges are strengthened with a small amount of mortar by removing the workpiece.
Fastening a wooden window sill
A layer of mortar is spread on the base, covering the wedges by 5 mm. Mostly cement mortar is used, but putty or plaster can be used. Install the window sill in place and press firmly against the wedges until it stops. The protruding excess is removed with a spatula.
Advice! As a safety net, an insulating film is first laid on top of the mortar to protect the tree from direct contact with the aqueous solution.
Sealing and strengthening of fastening
For a more reliable fixation from the side of the facade, long self-tapping screws are driven into the end of the wooden window sill through the window frame. After completing the fastening of the structure, small gaps are closed with liquid acrylic.
Now you know how to install a plastic window sill and wooden structure yourself. Follow our advice and you will succeed. For a better assimilation of the material read, watch the video we have selected about different editing options.
Repair of plastic window sills is an easy task for a novice master. Various types of window sills, description and video instructions for their restoration
Removing the plastic sill may be required to replace it. Detailed instructions on how to dismantle a window sill from a plastic window
How to paint a windowsill: instructions for painting with your own hands, the better, videos and photos. Review of paints for plastic windowsills, features of PaliPlast RP Base paint for plastic
Restoration and restoration of a wooden window - DIY instructions for repairing old wooden window frames. How to remove paint from wooden windows, how to putty, treat with linseed oil and paint
What should be: length of window sills, width, height. The correct size of the ledge of the sill above the battery. We select the distance between the battery and the windowsill correctly