2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- When may it be necessary to repair plastic window sills?
- Window sill types
- How to repair a plastic window sill yourself?
- Which is better: repairing plastic windowsills or replacing them?
One of the main elements of the window opening is the window sill: thanks to it, the window looks neat, the room receives additional protection from heat loss and precipitation, and fresh flowers can be installed on the surface. With long-term operation, it may be necessary to repair the window sill; It is quite possible to carry out the procedure with your own hands, the main thing is to acquire all the necessary materials and tools, as well as familiarize yourself with the instructions.
When may it be necessary to repair plastic window sills?
Recovery work may be required in the following cases:
- The surface of the window sill is covered with cracks, chips, scratches or scuffs, which not only impairs the appearance, but also the characteristics of the product. Most often, this element suffers from excessive mechanical stress.
- Surface deformation that can bend or deteriorate when exposed to elevated temperatures.
- Burnout of the surface from ultraviolet radiation. Constant exposure to sunlight leads to fading, which is especially noticeable on a product that does not have a classic white, but a different shade or ornament.
- If the product is made of wood, it may be damaged by contact with moisture, and in this case, restoration of the window sill or its complete replacement may be required.
Window sill types
These products are classified by material of manufacture:
Plastic. Such elements are distinguished by simple maintenance and installation, a large assortment of colors, and a reasonable price. Low strength is considered a downside: repair of plastic windowsills may be required when scratches, cracks appear, and the product is also sensitive to high temperatures.
- Wooden. They are distinguished by environmental friendliness, ease of installation, strength and elegant, natural design, but such products are unstable against moisture, fungus, and also have a high price.
Concrete or stone. Such products are practical, easy to clean, they can be given any look; cons - a large mass and complex restoration of the window sill.
- Fiberboard. These elements are very durable, do not fade in the sun, do not deform when the temperature drops, and are presented in a wide variety of colors and ornaments.
How to repair a plastic window sill yourself?
The repair procedure for an item may differ depending on the degree of damage, material of manufacture, and the method of restoration. The choice of consumables and tools depends on this. Repair of PVC windowsill includes the following steps:
- Cleaning the surface from dirt, sealing cracks, degreasing with alcohol.
- Preparing the onlay, cutting the product to fit the window sill.
- Application of glue or assembly compound to the surface, installation of the overlay. After that, a press is placed on it and the structure is left until the glue dries. This will take 1-2 hours.
- The gap under the cover is filled with sealant, the ends are masked with plugs.
- After the glue dries, the film is removed from the top of the patch, which protects the coating from mechanical damage and chemicals.
Repair of wooden window sills includes the following steps:
- Removal of paint residues, puttying in case of cracks, chips and scratches.
- Impregnation with moisture-resistant and fire-resistant compounds.
- After drying, the surface is recoated with a putty and sanded.
- Window sill painting, application of clear or colored varnish. To do this, you can use a brush or roller.
- The dried surface is polished and leveled.
Tip: wooden structures require regular preventive actions to protect against moisture, and minimal DIY repair of the window sill involves applying varnish and impregnation every 3 years.
To restore a concrete product, you can use a putty. Traces of paint, dirt and grease are removed from the surface, primed, putty it, then the window sill is painted. This is the easiest method if the product has minimal damage. If they are more serious, the restoration is carried out with a cement solution in the following order:
- Removing paint, degreasing.
- Surface primer, composition drying.
- Preparation of a mixture of cement with crushed stone in a 1 to 1 ratio, formwork installation and grouting.
- After 2 days, after drying, the surface should be sanded.
- The finishing stage is tile installation or painting.
Tip: When sanding, pour a little water over the concrete for the best effect.
Repair of window sills of plastic windows made of decorative stone involves processing with special pastes and impregnations. The surface can be sanded; in the presence of chips, it is necessary to purchase compounds that restore the structure of the material.
Restoration of a fiberboard product includes the following steps:
- Cleaning, removal of detached fragments, if any.
- Drying, sanding the wood flooring using simple sandpaper or a drill with special attachments.
- Mixing glue-based mortar with sawdust.
- Filling cracks and chips with the resulting composition.
- Installation of a press to protect the product from unintentional deformation.
- Application of a layer of silicone sealant capable of protecting the item from moisture.
- Bonding the originally removed fragments from the laminate.
Which is better: repairing plastic windowsills or replacing them?
Many owners are wondering whether it is worth repairing the product if they can purchase a new window sill. Rebuilding is less expensive and takes less time for minor damage. A complete replacement is usually carried out if the product has significant defects, and it will not be possible to restore it with full preservation of its operational properties (strength, durability, etc.). In addition, the repair of plastic window sills has the following advantages:
- Significant savings in money: even large chips and deformations are cheaper to fix than buying a new product.
- No debris that needs to be removed when dismantling the old structure.
The ability to change the design of the window sill without wasting time. With the help of paints, compositions for changing shades, linings, you can give the product a fresh look, achieving its harmonious combination with the general interior of the house.
Conclusion: if you want to understand how to repair a plastic window sill, you just need to acquire a minimum set of tools and strictly follow the instructions. The procedure takes a minimum of time and allows you to return the item to an updated appearance.
How to install a plastic or wooden window sill with your own hands on foam and set the substrates to adjust the horizontal level and fix it in the opening
Do-it-yourself Repair Of An Old Wooden Floor. How To Repair Parquet Flooring, Tiled, Linoleum Yourself
Floor coverings, as a rule, are plank, parquet, tile, cement, pressed sheets and linoleum. Do-it-yourself apartment renovation site will tell you how to quickly restore the most common floor coverings. We repair the plank floor After a while, such wood coverings begin to dry out and, as a result, creak. The resulting cracks complicate cleaning and worsen the appearance. Squeaking is usually caused by breakage of the tongue and groove
Removing the plastic sill may be required to replace it. Detailed instructions on how to dismantle a window sill from a plastic window
How to paint a windowsill: instructions for painting with your own hands, the better, videos and photos. Review of paints for plastic windowsills, features of PaliPlast RP Base paint for plastic
Restoration and restoration of a wooden window - DIY instructions for repairing old wooden window frames. How to remove paint from wooden windows, how to putty, treat with linseed oil and paint