2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- Pros and cons
- Opening system principle
- Sliding doors: structural features
- What materials are used?
Balcony doors provide reliable protection from weather conditions, dust and debris. How comfortable the apartment will be in winter depends on their ability to retain heat. Most often, there is a standard block for a balcony with a swing door and window, however, you can bring something new to the interior and save space by using sliding plastic doors.
Pros and cons
The design has a minimum of disadvantages: it requires free walls, so if there is a battery, it will have to be moved. There must be enough width to open such a door. This is where the negative sides end. But the design has the following advantages:
- There is a lot of free space that you can use at your own discretion. If there is not much space in the kitchen, and the balcony is filled with various objects, the swing door can get in the way, the sliding doors to the balcony do not open, so you do not have to squeeze sideways. This solution is convenient to use in small rooms.
- The room will become brighter, the sliding block consists mainly of glass. There will be an opportunity to turn them into stained-glass windows, making an original design.
- A balcony block with a sliding door will perfectly fit into the interior, give it a zest, visually increase the space, and make it lighter.
- The sliding door opens wider than the swing door, which allows you to take out bulky items to the balcony: for example, install a sofa there.
- The sliding structure can have several leaves, suitable for closing wide, non-standard openings.
- It is convenient if there are children in the house, since it is unlikely to get injured by closing such a door.
- If the structure is equipped with a special lock, it is extremely difficult to break it from the outside.
- Glass installed in door blocks has high strength, is designed for heavy loads, it is difficult to break it even on purpose.
Opening system principle
The designs differ from each other based on the principle of opening:
Sliding is a parallel-sliding structure reminiscent of train compartment doors. The movement takes place due to rollers and special rails. This design is quite simple, does not require complex maintenance, has a low weight, and is inexpensive due to the minimum amount of fittings used in the system. There are guides at the top and bottom of the doors.
Sliding plastic doors to the balcony can have an inclined structure. This type of system is distinguished by the presence of a ventilation mode. By turning the handle, it can be folded parallel to the sash. In order to close the door, you need to move it along the guides to the place where there is a stop.
The lift-and-slide system has a mechanism that allows the sash to be lifted up and moved to the side. This saves space, as one part will move after another. This system is most often used for non-standard wide openings for which swing doors are too small.
- "Accordion" is most often used for glazing terraces, other structures with a large space. Such a structure consists of independent sashes that are able to unfold perpendicular to the frame and move away. Such elements go over each other, forming a kind of accordion. The disadvantage of the design is a large number of profiles, they form extra partitions that do not allow sunlight to pass through, increase the weight of the structure, and require more fittings.
Sliding doors: structural features
Plastic sliding doors can be warm or cold. This property depends on the profile used to create the elements.
Cold ones are designed to protect the premises from precipitation, partially isolate street noise, but cannot provide adequate thermal insulation. To create such a structure, an inexpensive aluminum profile is used without thermal inserts. The profile is equipped with glass, the thickness of which rarely exceeds 4 mm. A double-glazed window is used single-chamber. Cold sliding doors to the balcony are not installed in the apartment, as it will be cold in the room. They can be used for terraces and other outdoor structures that need to be fenced off, protected from weather conditions.
Warm structures insulate heat well, do not allow noise, wind, precipitation to pass through. They are used in residential premises, as they provide high-quality insulation of the external environment. Using a warm structure, it is not necessary to glaze the balcony. For the production of such a system, a metal-plastic or aluminum profile is used, equipped with thermal inserts. It is glazed with one- and two-chamber double-glazed windows.
Sliding doors to the loggia will more effectively contain heat if energy-saving glass is installed on them. These products have a special protective coating, due to which in winter the heat loss is reduced by 25%, and in the summer, infrared radiation and excess ultraviolet radiation are blocked, due to which the inside of the room is kept cool.
What materials are used?
Sliding balcony doors can be made of different materials, most often PVC. On sale you can find structures made of aluminum, wood. The most common are plastic constructions, as it is the most reliable and cheapest material. It is suitable for use in any premises, withstands heavy loads, and has a low weight.
PVC sliding doors have the following advantages:
- Durability. The structure will not lose its attractive appearance even during tough use.
- Reliable heat insulation, the greatest tightness when closed.
- High noise isolation capabilities.
- Possibility of a wide choice of shapes.
- Does not deteriorate from exposure to moisture, does not rot, pests do not start in plastic.
- It does not require special care.
Aluminum structures have the same properties, differ in less weight, higher cost, the ability to choose any color.
Conclusion: sliding balcony doors can save space, visually enlarge it, make the interior richer, brighter and more interesting.
A wardrobe with sliding doors will take up very little space in the apartment. Review of materials and choice of mechanism for sliding doors for the cabinet. Why is it important to buy quality fittings?
The sliding door cassette will enhance the appearance of the structure and protect it from dust. What types of products are there, how to install and operate them correctly
Double-leaf sliding interior doors will save space in the room and look great. How to choose high-quality doors, and most importantly, accessories for them? Expert advice
Sliding wardrobe can be made by hand. Let's figure out how to do this. Videos on the topic will help with this
How To Make A Wardrobe With Your Own Hands, Built-in. Drawings And Assembly Diagrams Of The Sliding Wardrobe, Self-installation Of Sliding Doors
Do-it-yourself built-in wardrobe with a photo. How to make a sliding wardrobe yourself, refine, install sliding doors with detailed photo instructions, you will learn from us