2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- Features of the floor on the logs
- Application area
- Adjustable slabs and joists
- Build process
- Tips from experts
In the modern world, there are a huge number of options for leveling the floor into the room for further flooring. Among them, the floor without a screed is popular, which is also called adjustable. This is due to the absence of dirt and dust during the work, as well as the absence of waiting for the screed to dry after pouring. Alignment times are reduced to a minimum, and the entire installation process can be performed by one person.
Features of the floor on the logs
They do not always know about how the floor is leveled without pouring the screed and how it all works. The installed logs can easily rotate around their axis in the required direction. They can be raised or lowered. This is facilitated by the thread of the bolt, on which they "walk". As a result, the surface becomes as horizontal as possible, and the accuracy is reduced to 1 mm.
The floors arranged in this way during operation will not creak, create troubles and extraneous sounds, bend, "move" underfoot while driving.
The service life of such floors is about 50 years. For each square meter during operation, you can create a load equal to 2.5 tons. An increase in this indicator is permissible by adding the number of bolts. In addition to adjustable lags, you can also use plates. But in this case, you need to know how to level the floor without pouring, using the minimum set of tools and materials.
It is not enough to know how to level the floor without a screed. The design features of each individual species have an impact on the field of application in everyday life.
Server rooms and transformer stations.
- Leveling the floor without a screed allows you to place engineering communications, pipes, wiring, and more inside yourself (under the floor).
- For further finishing alignment. Time takes a minimum, and the result will be interesting to everyone.
- New homes require attention from new tenants. This primarily applies to floors. They are not always brought to average here. Consequently, you have to align them and most often without pouring the solution.
- Installation of multilevel floors.
- Reconstruction of old buildings.
- Raising the floor level without additional stress.
That is, the field of application is very wide. In addition to houses and apartments, they are gaining popularity in educational institutions, conference rooms, industrial premises, etc.
Adjustable slabs and joists
Before leveling the floor without a screed, you should decide on the materials for work. These can be adjustable plates. Most often they are suitable for rooms with no communications under the floor, when there is no need to place them there. But it is worth paying attention to the fact that when leveling the floor with such materials, the distance to the ceiling is reduced by at least 30 mm.
When using plates for work, holes are made in the sheet itself. On the reverse side of the sheet, where there are holes, threaded bushings are screwed in. They can be found at any hardware store. And already in this structure, screws are screwed for adjustable floors. All this is installed on the base, after which it is nailed with dowel-nails. To level the floor, you only need to turn the bolts in the right direction to raise or lower the slab. This is all very easy and simple to do on your own.
Alternatively, special joists are used, with the help of which the floor is leveled. It can also replace grouting and wet screed. For work, absolutely any premises are suitable, which should be brought to perfect condition. The minimum floor lift is 50 mm. And already this distance will facilitate the placement of any communications, pipes, wires, etc. under the floor. In addition, you can arrange a layer of heat and sound insulation. All communications from the whole house or apartment can be placed under the lags.
Installation does not take much time if adjustable joists are selected as the material.
Each of them has holes into which bolts will be screwed in the post. The lag is also attached to the base of the floor using dowel-nails. The design turns out to be not only strong and reliable, but also capable of serving for a long time.
Strut bolts allow you to adjust the joists up or down, depending on your needs. Once the floor has been leveled, work can begin on any kind of flooring.
Leveling the floor without a screed has its own advantages, the main ones of which are:
- The lightness of the whole structure without creating pressure on the floor slabs and any other subfloor. This nuance is provided for old buildings, as well as multi-storey cottages.
- They are called “dry” finishes. There is practically no dirt and debris here during installation.
- In this way, you can get rid of not only protrusions and depressions on the floor, but also hide elevation differences around the perimeter of the room. In addition, adjustable floors can hide differences from 3 to 20 cm.
- Fast installation. During the day, you can independently level floors in an area of 20 m 3 without much effort.
- Possibility of placing any communications under the floor, under slabs or logs.
Excellent quality heat and sound insulation.
In this case, it is worth paying attention to the presence of certain disadvantages that can be encountered with incorrect installation and preparatory measures. The most basic and popular is the squeak that occurs almost immediately after installation and start of operation. You can get rid of it if you follow the technology. This concerns the complete hammering of the dowel-nails to the end, the removal of dust and residues of materials after drilling with a vacuum cleaner. If you are not able to carry out a high-quality leveling of the floor yourself, it is best to contact a specialist, having carefully studied their reputation.
Until the moment you level the floor in an apartment without a screed, you should study the technology in detail point by point in order to get a really high-quality result. The sequence of work is as follows:
- Screwing the stud bolts into the holes in the selected material for the adjustable floor.
- Unfolding plates or logs at a certain distance. The distance will depend on the need for flexural strength. The chosen floor covering will play no small role. So, for laminate or parquet, the step is usually taken at 50 cm, and for tiles or linoleum - 30 cm. The centimeter distance should be left from the wall to the nearest log. In any case, free ventilation must be present.
- When slabs or joists are installed on a sub-floor, the same holes are drilled through the holes in the floor. This is necessary in order to be able to fix the material with dowel-nails. The hole depth is usually within 40 mm.
- Leveling lag or slabs. This is facilitated by the bolts screwed into the structure. It is enough to turn each of them in the desired direction using a special key.
When everything is level and the deviation from the horizontal line is no more than 1 mm, you can drive in the dowel-nails to the end. The tops of the stud bolts may remain. They should be removed with a chisel or other tools.
This is how the floor is leveled without screed. No special effort is required. It is enough just to have basic knowledge. In the future, flooring is carried out without problems. It is possible to level the floor without logs using special plates.
Tips from experts
Before starting installation, you should carefully prepare and purchase quality material. Particular attention is paid to timber and plywood. They can affect the final result of installing the adjustable floor. At the same time, high accuracy during installation will allow obtaining a laser level. Its cost is high, but it will be applicable for different types of work and in the future.
Much attention is also paid to the preparation of the base. There should be no crumbling or delamination. The strength of the foundation must remain high. Ventilation of the cover must be provided during installation.
The quality of the floor leveling will be immediately noticeable. If certain mistakes are made, the floor will begin to creak. This can be avoided, but absolutely any dust should be removed from the material when fastening. In this, an ordinary or construction special vacuum cleaner acts as an assistant. In addition, the squeak will be affected by incomplete hammering of the dowel-nails.
Floor “sounding” is possible, especially when the structure has sufficient height above the base. Sounds may be heard from walking, heel banging, and so on. To get rid of this, thermal insulation mats are used, placing them between the logs at the time of installation.
The process of leveling the base of a concrete floor using OSB sheets, choosing the best option for obtaining a flat floor, OSB log devices on a concrete floor
Preparatory measures for the subsequent installation of beacons in the room for leveling the base, self-adhesive beacons and other guide options, calculation of beacons
The use of plywood sheets to remove defects in the subfloor, methods of leveling the concrete surface, recommendations for installation, advantages and disadvantages
The use of a dry screed to get rid of unevenness on the floor surface, the technological process of a dry screed, the sequence of leveling with a dry method with gypsum plasterboard
The choice of plywood for arranging a flat base for the "warm floor" system, types of laying pipes and cables for warm floors in rooms, leveling the floor without logs on concrete