2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- Types of lighthouses
- Rack structures
- Pin beacons
- Using benchmarks
- Installation rules
- Installation technology
Self-leveling floors got their name due to the fact that they are able to independently distribute over the surface, without unnecessary effort. In addition, a self-leveling mixture is used here. Despite all this, large premises, as well as a sufficient layer of more than 10-15 mm, require attention and control from the side of the performer. For this reason, when installing a self-leveling floor, various kinds of beacons are used, allowing you to get a perfectly flat surface.
When beacons are used for self-leveling floors, this not only simplifies the work process, but also contributes to a reduction in labor during installation. With their help, the thickness of the future floor is determined and its height is set.
But there is one peculiarity - there must be certain knowledge of lighthouses, the rules for their display and types of construction, depending on the situation. In addition to factory instruments, they can be performed independently. Only the appropriate materials and tools should be at hand. Let's consider in detail the main 8 ways to install beacons under a screed.
Types of lighthouses
There are two types of beacons used to install a self-leveling floor:
- Rack and pinion devices. They are useful not only for a "wet" screed, but also for a "dry" one. In the second case, we are talking about filling with quartz sand.
- Professional benchmarks.
It should be noted that they can be made from various materials. Everything will depend on the version of the self-leveling floor, the installation process and requirements.
It is very difficult to install a self-leveling floor without using beacons. They must be prepared before starting work, so that later there will be no difficulties and distractions. The following types of rack structures are distinguished:
- From solutions. They are used with a thin layer of self-leveling floor. Self-tapping screws are screwed into the floor at a certain level, to the top of which a cord is tied. Under this cord, the solution is laid in such a way that it forms a guide after drying. It will facilitate good thickness control.
- Wooden. The oldest way to make lighthouses from bars, with a section of about 2.5 cm. To adjust the height, it is enough to put wedges of a certain size under the bars. At high humidity, they change their size and parameters, which is considered a serious drawback.
- From steel pipes. They are used in rooms with sufficient space. In addition, there is also a sufficient thickness of the self-leveling floor - at least 4-5 cm. The cross-section of pipes can be different, not only round, but also square. Even under pressure, they are able to maintain their original appearance.
- Metallic. These are standard metal profiles. Application area - compact rooms. Self-tapping screws are screwed into these profiles, which are used to adjust the height and thickness of the screed layer, which does not exceed 2.5-3 cm. With a greater load on the profile, the structure may deform. The result is not entirely pleasant.
Mortar slide. The amount will depend on the circumstances and requirements. More suitable as a guide for dry styling. The solution is distributed over the surface to the level of the slides using a rule.
If a specialist has sufficient experience in performing self-leveling floors in premises, then they can use pin guides in their work. They are used in pouring due to the properties of the most ready-made solution, which can independently spread over the surface and at the same time have a sufficient level of power of the dried surface.
Pin beacons are ordinary self-tapping screws with a hex head, designed to be screwed in with an appropriate screwdriver. Self-tapping screws are screwed into the base, and the solution for the self-leveling floor is poured over them. More precisely, the fishing line is being pulled, which is used as a guide.
This method can only be used on a concrete base. Otherwise, the waterproofing layer will be broken, its tightness. And it is necessary for the base of wood. In the latter case, self-tapping screws are simply not acceptable.
The choice of the length of the screws will depend on the power of the floor. There is also a kind of sequence of actions when using pin beacons:
- At the wall, opposite the entrance, holes are made at a distance of 30 mm. A dowel made of polymer material is inserted into them. An alternative to it is a wooden block of the appropriate size.
We screw in the self-tapping screws up to a certain limit according to the landmarks set using a laser level.
- A fishing line or other strong and reliable cord is pulled between the screws, parallel to the surface of the future floor.
- Along the line marked above, self-tapping screws are screwed in in the same way with a pitch of 50-60 cm. More experienced specialists will only need to apply a pitch of 100-140 cm. The main thing is that there is a rule of appropriate length. It should rest on the existing supports.
Further, such beacons are fixed over the entire area of the room, where the self-leveling floor is being installed.
So that the level of sound insulation is not reduced, after the work, the screws are turned inside out, and the existing cracks are sealed with a ready-made solution.
No craftsman will rely on all the qualities of a polymer leveling agent in terms of good fluidity and the ability to distribute itself evenly over the entire surface. In this case, benchmarks are used for the self-leveling floor. With their help, the horizontal is maintained with an accuracy of fractions of a millimeter.
The benchmark perfectly determines the level for pouring the self-leveling floor and is a structure in the form of three legs. In its central part there is a metal rod. This pin helps to set the height of the future floor throughout the room. Subsequently, a hydraulic level can be set on their upper part, from which the zero point will be determined.
An alternative to benchmarks are plastic beacons for filling the floor, which also have a scale in millimeters. They can be attached to the base using adhesive tape at the bottom or self-tapping screws. However, in the latter case, it will be somewhat problematic to remove the fixtures after pouring. Placing plastic beacons is very fast - within 15-20 minutes. The most important thing is that the result is the most even surface due to the high accuracy of elements such as plastic beacons for filling the floor.
The installation step of these beacons is one meter. But an inexperienced worker is unlikely to be able to qualitatively apply them in practice. This requires some skill and careful preparation. Benchmarks are removed immediately after the solution is leveled over the entire area of the room.
Installation of beacons on the floor surface must be done carefully. Otherwise, it will be problematic to get an even base. To begin with, a zero point is determined, which is considered the starting point for all other installed beacons. The same distance should be set between them over the entire area.
Installation of beacons is best done together with a laser level. With its help, a level line is marked on the wall along the control points connected to each other.
In each corner of the room, you need to determine the distance from the floor to the control point. It is not uncommon for the highest point to be located approximately in the middle of the wall.
For this reason, draw the cord at the level of the measured point to the opposite wall at the level of the control points. When it does not cling to during the transition, then you can start pouring the self-leveling floor along the beacons. Otherwise, you will need to knock down the protruding elements with a chisel or set a new zero level (if the hill cannot be eliminated).
When point beacons are installed to fill the floor, a certain sequence of actions should be followed:
- The minimum height of the screwed-in self-tapping screws should not be less than the thickness of the mortar. Moreover, their average step should be 50 cm.
The distance from the nearest lighthouses to the wall is 30 mm.
- From one beacon (control point) to the second from above, a level is set, at which the required height is set. In a similar way, all other elements in the room are fixed.
- The step of the screws can be increased if you use a two-meter level. Truth and experience in carrying out pouring a self-leveling floor on beacons with such a distance should be available.
- The height of the screws between the extreme elements is adjusted by eye, to the level of a stretched cord or fishing line.
The floor beacon should not remain in the solution after it has hardened. This applies to cases and the location of their upper points at the level of the solution. Subsequently, if grinding is necessary, they will create a bunch of problems.
After studying all the recommendations, everyone will know how to use the beacons when pouring the floor. Their high-quality performance will ultimately result in a perfectly flat surface over the entire area of the room. The use of beacons for self-leveling floors is not a prerequisite for installation. But in the end, they contribute to obtaining a base tailored to all parameters. The costs for them are insignificant, and the result justifies the effort expended. The main thing is to correctly determine the zero level in the room and start installing beacons from it.
If you are not confident in your abilities, then such work should be entrusted to specialists. Payment for services will be more pleasant than the subsequent dismantling of the entire structure of the self-leveling floor.
Preparatory measures for the subsequent fixation of the beacon profiles, setting the base and zero levels, selection of the optimal beacon for the cement floor screed
Calculator for calculating air exchange in a room, depending on the parameters and the desired shortness of air exchange. Estimated parameters of air and frequency of air exchange in premises of residential buildings
How is foam used correctly for floor insulation. How the floor is insulated with foam plastic correctly. Features of floor insulation and the cheaper it is to insulate floors
We Plaster The Surface With The Installation Of Beacons, Options For Mounting On The Wall Of Beacons
Several options for aligning the walls with your own hands using beacons to create a flat wall in the apartment. The procedure for preparatory work before plastering
What are the tools for punching and stripping various holes. Working with a chisel, chisel. Bit types