2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- PVC portal windows and doors: main features
- What are portal doors made of?
- What are the advantages of portal windows and doors?
- Portal glazing: scope
- What are the portal window systems?
If it is necessary to glaze a balcony or loggia, the owners often opt for panoramic structures that combine ease of use and a stylish appearance. One of the varieties of such systems are portal windows, which open according to the principle of moving the sash in a parallel plane relative to the wall or a fixed part of the glazing. Such structures can be installed in any house, regardless of the number of storeys and the series of construction.
PVC portal windows and doors: main features
This opening system provides for the location of the guides from the bottom and from the top: along them, the canvas moves to the side. When the structure is closed, it is completely sealed and does not allow drafts, unnecessary noise and retains heat as much as possible. The rollers used to move the structure are supported in the form of reinforced parts, so that the weight of the web is evenly applied to the guides. The system can have not only sliding, but also static sashes; this type is distinguished by increased stability and reliability.
The modern market offers portal glazing of several types: it can be cold or warm, with classic, tinted or colored glass, domestic or foreign fittings. When choosing a profile, the number of chambers, thickness, depth matter: the parameters are determined depending on the type of balcony and its application.
What are portal doors made of?
On sale you can find systems made in the following design options:
Patio. Such windows have one moving sash, the weight of which does not exceed 100 kg, the movement is carried out parallel to the static part of the glazing.
Portal. This design has a pair of sliding sashes that move relative to the static glazing element, their weight reaches 160 kg.
Harmonic. This portal system of windows and doors has more than 2 wings, the weight of which does not exceed 80 kg. These sashes are fastened alternately, hinges are located on both sides - inside and outside. When moving, the elements are folded like an accordion. The opening length can be up to 6 meters.
Depending on the type of model, portal systems can be made of the following materials:
- Aluminum. The material is notable for its low weight, strength, durability, ease of installation, but does not retain heat well. Glazing with aluminum systems is possible on the balcony, which is not planned to be used as part of the living space.
- Metal-plastic. This is the best option for a combination of price and quality: portal windows and doors of this type are very strong, durable, have a modern design, perfectly keep heat inside and isolate from drafts and noise.
- Tree. Such structures are distinguished by their exclusive design, good heat and sound insulation characteristics, but they require additional protection from climatic phenomena and are quite expensive.
Advice: when choosing PVC systems, it is necessary to calculate the bearing load. The fact is that such products are of considerable weight, and installation in old buildings is not always possible. In some cases, prior to installation, it is required to reinforce the balcony with additional supports.
What are the advantages of portal windows and doors?
The advantages of the systems include the following qualities:
- Minimal maintenance, ease of maintenance and operation.
- Long service life.
- Possibility of installing automatic opening-closing mechanisms and door closers in order to avoid drafts.
- Good protection against extraneous sounds and heat loss.
- Visual increase in free space on the balcony and in the apartment itself.
- Sliding gantry systems maximize natural light, thus saving on electricity costs.
- Possibility to combine the premises of the living room, bedroom, study with a balcony or loggia.
- Glazing is possible even over a very large area.
- The sliding system saves space.
- The design looks great in both modern and exotic interiors thanks to the variety of models and profile shades.
Portal glazing: scope
Most often, such systems are installed in low-rise buildings (townhouses, cottages, country houses). Also, many developers arrange balconies and loggias with portal window structures in the following cases:
- Construction of residential complexes with premium apartments and panoramic views of the city.
- Construction of office buildings where it is necessary to organize the space using sliding partitions.
- Glazing of verandas and terraces.
What are the portal window systems?
The designs differ not only in the number of sashes, but also in the type of fittings. According to this criterion, the following types of portals are distinguished:
Parallel sliding systems. They do not have folding elements, they are mounted equally easily regardless of the type and shape of the opening. Movable sashes can move relative to the fixed part, in some models they also have a ventilation mode. Such portal window systems combine affordable cost with quality; installation is possible on a balcony, veranda, in a winter garden
Advice: when choosing a parallel-sliding window, it is important to take into account the weight: one sash should have a mass of no more than 200 kg, the elements themselves can be a maximum of 4, therefore, for a too wide opening, the structure may not be suitable.
- Tilt-and-slide varieties. This type of portal differs from the previous one by the presence of the sash tilt function, and such structures are optimal for installation in a small opening in length. The sash weighs less than 200 kg, there is no risk of damaging the system in tilt mode.
- Lifting and sliding models. This system is suitable for glazing openings up to 17-18 meters in size, the sash weight should not exceed 400 kg; opening is possible in ventilation mode and in sliding type.
Conclusion: portal doors made of PVC, aluminum or wood can be installed within the glazing of a balcony, as a partition in a home or office. A variety of designs and materials allows you to choose the best option for any purpose.
Salamander windows are some of the best on the window market. An overview of Salamander plastic windows, what profiles are made and how they differ. Salamander windows installation video
Pvc interior doors are in great demand lately. We have considered all their pros and cons and you can decide for yourself which interior doors are better than veneer or pvc
Doors laminated with PVC film and how to understand the quality Features of laminated doors, materials used and recommendations for choosing products, PVC comparison
Download books on the construction and renovation of apartments, houses, plumbing, drywall, electrical and design. Download e-book for any Ayios, Android, Reader in PDF, EPUB, MOBI, TXT, Word, RTF FBReader, Adobe Reader, ZIP
How to choose the right impact screwdriver that will greatly facilitate construction work. Overview of models and main characteristics of the tool. cost and most famous manufacturers