2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- The advantages of timber structures
- Properties of different tree species
- Features of production
- Recommendations for use
- Review of some manufacturers and prices
It is difficult to imagine a window without a window sill. This window detail is made from various materials: PVC, MDF, acrylic, stone, wood. Wooden window sills are a popular product in the modern market for many reasons.
The advantages of timber structures
- Environmental friendliness - natural material.
- Aesthetic - each breed has its own color and texture.
- Durability - with proper manufacturing technology and care, window sills will last for more than a dozen years.
- Thermal insulation properties - retains heat in the room, has a low thermal conductivity.
Properties of different tree species
Well-dried raw materials are used for the production of window sills. The percentage of water in the material should not exceed 10%.
Window sills are made from coniferous and deciduous trees. For sophisticated customers, elite materials are used - cherry, mahogany, mahogany, meranti and wenge.
Conifers have increased softness, so they are more vulnerable to mechanical stress. Grinding them presents certain difficulties - you cannot achieve a perfectly smooth surface. The advantage of these plants is water resistance, they absorb less moisture and retain their original shape. Finished products are less deformed. In addition, pine releases special phytoncides that disinfect the air in the room. The cost price of softwood models is lower compared to hardwood models.
Window sills made of oak and ash have the necessary hardness to obtain a smooth structure during processing. Alder, with an increase in the percentage of water in the environment, absorbs it and acquires the strength of an oak. This type of wood is especially often used in conditions of high humidity, due to the greater affordability. Prices for hardwood products are several orders of magnitude higher.
Features of production
Good raw materials are needed to make a quality product:
- Drying - water content 10% or less to prevent deformation of the structure.
- Ansiteptic coating is necessary to prevent damage by rot and insects.
- Application of fire retardants - substances that prevent fire.
- Coating with impregnation or varnish - allows you to preserve and emphasize the pattern. Solid wood models are rubbed with oil or wax.
Wooden window sills are made of solid, milled, grooved and glued (lamellar) boards. Let's consider their main advantages and disadvantages of different types of products.
- Solid - the product is made from one board, subject to change in shape (warping) due to the influence of environmental conditions.
- Milled - elements from an array with a groove on one side and a ridge on the other. One or several grooves are made on the underside of the board to prevent material deformation.
- Grooved - the main characteristic feature of the tongue-and-groove connection. Attached to each other from 2 or 4 sides. Recesses are provided on the bottom surface for air circulation after installation.
- Glued lamellas - wooden blocks of different sizes with jagged ends are assembled together like a constructor and glued together under pressure. Feature the wood is laid so that the fibers of the bars intersect with each other.
In the process of operation, prefabricated models have proven themselves better. They practically do not deform, in some circumstances they are stronger than from solid wood. If you do not like the appearance of the window sill because of the connection lines, the product can be painted with any color of enamel.
The quality of the product depends on the processing of wood, the degree of its drying, because poor processing of even expensive fabric can spoil the appearance and characteristics of the product.
Thanks to modern technology, you can create a structure of any shape: classic, radius, curly.
Product dimensions correspond to accepted standards:
- Thickness from 30 to 50 mm.
- Length from 1200 to 3000 mm.
- Width from 200 to 800 mm.
However, the item can be customized in different sizes.
By texture (presence of knots or their absence), raw materials are divided into categories. For example, conifers have three categories: A, AB and Extra:
- A - with "live" light knots.
- AB - a small amount of dark knots is visualized in the texture.
- Extra - no knots, just the texture itself.
In the price lists, manufacturers, in addition to the product category, indicate one-piece or spliced type.
Recommendations for use
Wooden window sills require constant maintenance. Once a year or as necessary, they need to be inspected, cleaned and the raised enamel and varnish with sandpaper. Lubricate with antiseptic, flame retardant and reapply the protective coating layer. Special impregnations will give the surface a freshness and attractiveness as on the first day of purchase.
Review of some manufacturers and prices
The price of products depends on several factors:
- Wood species.
- Construction category (solid or spliced).
- The form.
- Purchase from a manufacturer or reseller.
The Mir Dereva company is one of the largest manufacturers of products from natural raw materials.
Produces window sills from various species: coniferous (pine, spruce), deciduous (oak, beech, ash, maple). The cost of 1 m 2 is shown in the table:
Cost (1 m2), rubles
|from 1 014|
|from 4 750|
|from 2 750|
|from 5 500|
|from 5 500|
The company's website contains tables of the ratio of dimensions and cost of goods.
The Darn company is engaged in the production of oak window sills, the price varies from 1458 to 1620 rubles and depends on the size of the product. The firm "Stolyarka No. 4" produces pine goods at a cost of 540 to 5,120 rubles per running meter. The prime cost is formed according to the dimensions.
Wooden window sills are an excellent choice for your windows. They will elegantly fit into the interior design and help create a cozy atmosphere.
Drainers for windows must be installed. Review of materials for manufacturing and technical features of structures. How to choose and install a drainage system correctly?
Installation of wooden roofs Installation of wooden roofs, as a rule, is carried out using milled boards with a maximum thickness of 2-2
Modern wooden windows are in no way inferior to plastic ones. Description of the features of double-glazed windows of wooden windows and their advantages. What are the double-glazed windows for wooden windows? Is the structure sealed?
An overview of the means, how to wash plastic windows and window sills at home, how to clean a plastic window sill from construction pollution. Products for the care of plastic windows and window sills
Restoration and restoration of a wooden window - DIY instructions for repairing old wooden window frames. How to remove paint from wooden windows, how to putty, treat with linseed oil and paint