2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- Where should you start to save money?
- How is dismantling done?
- Assembly of plastic windows
- How to properly mount a plastic window?
Plastic windows are quite popular: in modern apartments they are installed by the developer, and in the houses of old buildings the owners themselves are gradually changing. Assembling plastic windows is not the most difficult process. The structures are sold ready-made, made to order in the required dimensions. All that is needed is to install the fittings and sashes in their places and install the window itself in the window opening.
Where should you start to save money?
Usually, companies that produce windows provide additional services for their installation, but it is not cheap, as well as hiring a master privately.
The price of the window itself largely depends on the manufacturer, the material used, the complexity of the design, the size, whether you buy a finished product or order an individual one. The window is also more expensive when finishing the slopes. The average installation cost is 50% of the cost of the structure itself. Therefore, if you want to save a significant amount, it is better to take ready-made plastic windows; assembly and installation should be done independently.
How is dismantling done?
It is not always possible to buy a window into a house that is still under construction and has no windows; most often you have to face such a problem as dismantling an old structure. In fact, these works do not cause any difficulties, however, in order to carry them out, you need to know some principles of work, to have certain tools. Careless dismantling can not only destroy the old structure, but also harm the window opening, which is much more serious, especially if you are going to throw out the old window anyway and not reuse it.
The installation of plastic windows, the instructions for which are offered by us, are not difficult, but before starting work, you need to solve two problems:
- Choose new windows correctly. This will require not only taking appropriate measurements, but also deciding why and in what conditions the new window will be used. The fact is that manufacturers offer double-glazed windows of different thicknesses and different designs, the opening system may differ. For example, thick double-glazed windows are irrelevant for the south, and two-chamber ones are not suitable for the northern regions. A single-chamber structure should not be installed in a living room. The opening system does not affect the warmth of the room, however, it affects the comfort of using the structure, as well as its cost.
- Installation instructions for PVC windows provide for starting with accurate measurements of the window opening: if you take them incorrectly, then the new window may not fit in size. If it turns out to be slightly less, it is fixable, and it is still possible to install it, but if it is more, then your money will be wasted. That is why if you doubt that you will be able to take measurements accurately and correctly, it is better to order a measurement in the company where you will order the window. Usually the measurer comes for free. It is necessary to measure the window opening from wall to wall, the structure should be 2 cm less than the opening on each side, since space will be required to align the window, mounting foam. If you order a window of the same size as the opening, you will not be able to install it correctly.
The instructions for installing plastic windows with your own hands says that you first need to dismantle the old window, otherwise the new one will simply have nowhere to put.
Tip: When dismantling an old structure, try to pull it out entirely. It is easier to break a window, but this can provoke damage to the opening, complicate the work, since individual elements will have to be pulled out one by one. If you remove the old window carefully, it can be reused.
Do not break old glass, as its fragments will interfere in the future, the same applies to chips from a wooden frame, so it should not be sawed.
Assembly of plastic windows
Installation instructions for PVC windows are the opposite of dismantling. The latter should be carried out as follows:
- First, the window sashes are removed.
- The frame is sawed, but not completely, then pulled out with a crowbar, trying not to destroy the window opening. You don't have to file, but it will take longer.
- If the old windows are also plastic, you can remove them by cutting through the foam on which they are held.
Tip: the more carefully you remove the window, the less work you will have to fix the opening.
The freed window opening must be thoroughly cleaned; for this you can use a metal brush. Rubbish, even small, will need to be removed, it is advisable to remove dust and degrease the surface. If there are gaps, they must be closed so that the new window does not blow out. After that, you can proceed to the main stage - the installation of a new PVC window.
How to properly mount a plastic window?
Installation instructions for plastic windows do not require complex skills or extensive work experience. It is enough to carefully consider the task, having previously studied all the subtleties. The rules for installing a window are usually the same regardless of which company the product is. The sequence of actions should be as follows:
- The window that is sold in one piece must be disassembled. To do this, you do not need to pull out all the elements, you just need to remove the sash from the frame. This can be done simply by unscrewing the hinges. Such a procedure is required in order not to break or stain the glass unit when installing the window, and also more likely to install the frame correctly, since the sash will not only interfere with work, but also add at least 20 kg to the total mass of the window structure.
- The frame can be attached to the window opening using foam or anchor bolts. Before fixing it, it is necessary to put the frame correctly, using a level and special spacers, which are made of plastic and slipped under the frame from below to align it. After the frame is secured, they are removed.
- Installation instructions for plastic windows provide for a strict parallel arrangement of the window relative to the floor plane. Only in this case, the sash installed in its place will open and close correctly, it will be possible to avoid distortions.
- After the frame is installed and securely fastened, you can hang the sashes back. If you use polyurethane foam, then you cannot put the elements before it hardens, otherwise the changed mass of the structure will lead to inevitable distortion, and the work will have to be done again.
Tip: during the installation of the frame, gaps are necessarily formed. You can get rid of them with polyurethane foam. This method does not take long, high quality seals all gaps.
When applying foam, you need to distribute it evenly. The layer should not be too thick. If the gap is large, apply one layer of foam, wait until it hardens, and then apply a second layer, if necessary, then additional layers after the previous ones have hardened. Last of all, a window sill is installed, slopes are mounted.
Conclusion: plastic windows, the assembly of which does not take much time, can be installed independently. This will help save money on installer fees.
When repairing, the question often arises of how to level the floors under the tiles yourself. The choice of leveling method and preparation of the base for the screed is quite painstaking work
Options for laying ceramic granite tiles on a warm floor: features of working with ceramic granite tiles. Selection of tile mix, expansion joints and grouting
Step-by-step instructions on how to lay the tiles yourself on the floor in the toilet. The importance of proper floor tile markings and work plan
Important information about micro-ventilation of plastic windows, an overview of the main methods. Step-by-step instructions on how to adjust micro-ventilation on plastic windows yourself, video
Installing A Mixer With Your Own Hands, Installing A Faucet In The Kitchen In The Bathroom, Device, Types And Operating Instructions For The Mixer
Let's consider how to install, replace a faucet in a kitchen or bathroom. How to wind tow correctly so that the tap does not leak. Video advice from experienced