2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- Where to start renovating a kitchen
- Arrangement of a small kitchen
- 20 most common mistakes when renovating a kitchen
For every housewife, the kitchen is the main place in the house, so its arrangement is very important for her, because the kitchen is a place not only for preparing food, but also for accepting it. The kitchen is a place where the whole family gathers for breakfast, lunch and dinner, so it is in the kitchen that everyone should be cozy and comfortable.
Where to start renovating a kitchen
This is a very versatile place in the house. As usual, the kitchen area is small, so it is very important:
- Arrange all household appliances and furniture in the most convenient and rational way.
- You also need to take into account that when cooking in the kitchen, fat and steam are always sprayed.
- All dirt is better washed off from moisture-resistant surfaces, therefore materials and furniture for this room should be moisture-resistant and well-washable.
Of course, it's not even easy to cope without professionals. So where do you start renovating your kitchen?
- First you need to draw up a drawing or drawing of your future kitchen. So you will quickly understand where and how to place the furniture, in what colors your kitchen will be and what accessories will be needed for its interior.
- After a sketch or project, it is necessary to calculate the materials needed for the repair. It is better to contact specialists here. They will help you make a calculation, think over the placement of water supply, sewerage, replacement of sockets and electrical wiring.
- Then the dismantling of floors, ceilings, old communications begins, and the organization of proper ventilation.
- If necessary, replace the window system.
- Then they carry out all communications, erect new partitions, level the walls, ceiling and floor.
- When decorating the ceiling, you can use various suspended ceilings made of plasterboard, panels or slabs, as well as stretch ceilings. But the easiest is a water-based water-repellent paint. Here you can choose what is better and cheaper for you.
- For flooring, you need to use only waterproof materials - natural stone, tiles or linoleum.
- The walls in the kitchen must also be resistant to moisture, so either washable wallpaper or tiles are used, but tiles are better for the work surface. Although, for the apron, you can also use laminate.
- The installation of household appliances and furniture is done after all coatings have set and dried well.
- A very important point when renovating this room is the correct lighting of the room. To make it more convenient for the hostess to work on the work surface, you need to install fluorescent lamps located on hanging cabinets, and hang a lamp over the dining table. But if you have a high ceiling in your kitchen, then multi-level lighting will look very impressive.
- Then follows the stage of installing various accessories that will make your kitchen the most comfortable, cozy and so unique.
When planning any kitchen, you need to remember that the basis of the room is a working triangle:
These three items should be at the closest distance to each other. Therefore, it is imperative to consider this point. Now the work plan has become more or less clear and you know where to start renovating the kitchen. And the rest depends only on your imagination and the size of your wallet.
Everyone has their own preferences and needs, so I recommend that you take a look at the site and learn more about the arrangement of the kitchen.
Now let's talk about common mistakes.
Arrangement of a small kitchen
If the kitchen is small, then all the furniture and appliances may not fit in one row. In this case, it is better to use the corner type of furniture placement. It is important to take into account that the length of all sides of the working space should be from 3 to 6 meters - these are optimal values so that there is enough space and you do not have to do a lot of movements while preparing food. Also, experts advise that the distance between the sides of the kitchen triangle (sink, stove, refrigerator) should be approximately equal, and no more than 1.85 m.
The location of all the lockers on the plan should be noted in advance. If you plan to order a certain kitchen set, then it is better to measure all its parameters in advance and estimate how much it fits into the kitchen. You can use simple programs and even mobile applications to draw up a design project, in which all actions are simplified as much as possible: you only need to enter the parameters of the room and the parameters of the desired furniture.
There is also an original way to think over the arrangement of all pieces of furniture. A box is created from cardboard, which will be a model of the kitchen. Naturally, you need to stick to scale. Figurines of furniture and equipment are also made of foam on a scale, and then all these parts are placed in a box until the ideal option is found. Whatever the method, as a result you should get a clear visual representation of how the future kitchen should look like.
20 most common mistakes when renovating a kitchen
Even the slightest mistake made when planning a kitchen can subsequently bring many inconveniences. So what shortcomings should be eliminated at the earliest stage of repair or redevelopment, where to start?
- An unnecessarily large work surface is a typical mistake of owners of large kitchens who try to place all the furniture along one wall. This arrangement will make the cooking process inconvenient because you will have to run from one end of the kitchen to the other. If the layout and size of the room allows, then it is better to build a U-shaped structure or "island". The total area of the working surface will not change, but you will no longer have to run around the entire kitchen. The vertices of such a "working triangle" (refrigerator, stove and sink) should be located as close to each other as possible.
- Protruding handles - reduce the angle of opening of the door located in the corner of the cabinet. In this case, the drawer stops sliding.
- Narrow "labyrinths" make it difficult to move freely around the kitchen. There should be a distance of at least 120 cm between the facades of a kitchen with an "island" or a U-shaped kitchen. Only under this condition will the drawers be fully extended and the owners will have enough space for passage.
- Natural marble floors and work surfaces are difficult to maintain. Marble has a porous structure that allows dirt to penetrate quite deeply and makes it impossible to remove it. Therefore, it is better to choose a countertop made of granite or artificial stone - they are easier to clean.
- "Invincible" Corian - many people mistakenly consider this material to be the most durable and durable. Over time, even a stone countertop is also covered with scratches or stains. The only advantage of this material is that it can be easily restored. But this procedure can only be entrusted to specialists.
- Facing kitchen facades with mosaics - such a finish should not be used for drawers and doors, as it will heavily weight the structure, and the plasterboard base will "eat" the usable area.
- Massive air ducts - such designs are not at all necessary, even if the stove and the ventilation hole are located far from each other. It is better to purchase a cooker hood with a charcoal filter. It does not require an air duct, you just need to periodically change the filter.
- Glossy facades - they look impressive, but they quickly "get dirty" with fingerprints. These surfaces must be wiped down every day.
- Wooden floors are an extremely unfortunate option for a kitchen. They quickly become dirty and lose their "presentation".
- Out of 20 mistakes in kitchen renovation, we are already close to half. Glass tabletops for dining tables have gained a lot of popularity due to the fact that they do not make the space visually cluttered. But for the kitchen, such models are absolutely not suitable. Even the toughest glass will scratch over time. At such a table, you will not be able to have breakfast without waking up the peacefully sleeping household members. No matter how you try to carefully put the cup or plate on the table, you will still hear a rather loud knock.
- Excessively wide drawers - more spacious does not mean better. Furniture stores are happy to offer us drawers up to 120 cm wide, which are easy to slide out and supposedly convenient to use. But you should read the fact that in the store they are virgin empty and, accordingly, very light. If you fill such a box tightly, for example, with jars of pickles or dishes, then you will have to make a lot of effort to pull it out.
- A shelf instead of a drawer is a fairly common mistake. The advantage of the box is that its contents are easy to glance at and the desired item is found very quickly. In the case of shelves, you have to remove some of the content to find something or just "get to the target."
- A lot of seams are a bad decision. If you decide to paste over the entire kitchen "apron" with wallpaper, do not forget to protect them with glass. For this purpose, it is better to use one large glass sheet, rather than several small ones connected end-to-end.
- A sink with an "irregular" shape is a kitchen detail that can not only please the eye, but also irritate its owner for years. Therefore, do not experiment with unusual shapes. It is best to stick to the classic familiar forms. Here's where to start, since a lot of time is also spent behind the sink.
- There is no place for all kinds of small household appliances. In the kitchen, you can't do with built-in appliances alone. Therefore, you need to immediately provide for a place and sockets for free-standing household appliances.
- Heavy wardrobes hung on light walls. The storage system can only be hung on a solid wall. A plasterboard partition may not support this weight. In this case, a special support must be fixed on the wall, on which the upper cabinets are attached.
- Incorrectly hung technique. Built-in ovens, coffee machines and steamers should not be placed either too low or too high. The ideal solution here is the location at the waist level.
- Few fixtures. The kitchen requires several levels of illumination: a lamp located above the dining table; lamps built under the upper cupboards and illuminating the working area, overhead light. It is also necessary to correctly place the switches.
- Lack of free areas on the countertop. Between such elements as a stove, a sink and a refrigerator, there must be areas of the work surface on which, for example, food removed from the refrigerator can be placed.
- Too high base - the standard height is 10 - 15 cm, but today most built-in household appliances for some reason are designed for a base no higher than 10 cm.
If you want to avoid the most common mistakes when repairing a kitchen with your own hands, we recommend contacting a professional. Order apartment renovation at very attractive prices here.
So we looked at 20 mistakes when repairing a kitchen with our own hands or with the help of professionals. Now you know where to start and what nuances need to be taken into account.
DIY tips for installing two-level ceilings. How to attach, cut and bend a profile. To understand and prevent bruises, video tips from masters will help
How to choose the right floor tiles for the kitchen, the same problem arises with the question of which floor tiles are best for the kitchen. The nuances in quality and size are quite large
How best to organize the order of repair work in the apartment. The order of starting the repair process. Average prices for finishing work. Tips from experts and craftsmen
Detailed examples of when it is better to make repairs in an apartment, where to start and what is the order of the work. Examples and tips of the masters of apartment renovation
Kitchen Remodeling Photo. Kitchen - Living Room. Expansion Of The Kitchen At The Expense Of A Balcony, Loggia. What Is Prohibited During Redevelopment
Useful tips for redeveloping the kitchen Often, the layout of the kitchen in typical houses is far from satisfying the needs of the owners. After all, the kitchen is a traditional place not only for cooking, but also for receiving guests, traditional friendly gatherings. The only way to make the kitchen to your liking is redevelopment, which will make the room meet modern standards, ergonomic, convenient, improve architectural performance, in general, expand the kitchen