2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- What methods of protection are there?
- Coated windows in the fight against crime
- Application of roller shutters to protect the premises
- Application of shutters as protection of the room
- The use of the classic lattice option
- Modern method: using alarm for protection
More often than not, criminals enter the premises not through the door, but through the window, especially in private households, summer cottages, apartments located on the first and second floors. This is explained by the fact that the window is much easier to open than even a simple front door, which is why the protection of windows from penetration is relevant. There are various ways to protect yourself from such cases, which we will discuss below.
What methods of protection are there?
In order for the criminal not to have the opportunity to break open the plastic window, manufacturers offer several options for its protection. It is not necessary for this to install a grate on the windows, which will spoil the view. The options available are as follows:
- Installation of durable glass with a special coating.
- Roller shutter installation.
- Using a lattice.
- Alarm application.
Coated windows in the fight against crime
Protection of windows from penetration in the country or in a private building can be quite invisible to the eye. Such methods of defense against intruders include glass with a special film. It is applied at the factory, when the glass unit is manufactured, the task of this material is to protect the glass unit from breaking.
Upon impact, the glass will not spill out in the form of fragments; it will be quite difficult to pull it out if you do it from the street. Such glass is not only more durable, but also safer, even if we do not take into account possible criminal encroachments on the home. If you accidentally break a window, there will be no dangerous shards in the room. However, a protective film on windows from thieves is not able to create an obstacle for a professional criminal who simply pulls out a broken glass unit.
Application of roller shutters to protect the premises
To solve the problem, how to protect the window from intrusion, you can use the roller shutters systems. Their use greatly complicates the opening of the window. The roller shutter is an aluminum structure that is installed outside and has a retractable canvas that rolls up into a roll if you lift it up. The movement takes place along special guides. Quite often you can see similar products on the windows and front doors of shops. The device is equipped with a lock, you cannot open it with your bare hands. The thief will need a power tool that will attract the attention of strangers.
Roller shutters have the following positive qualities:
- Reliable protection of windows from penetration, since it will not work to open the structure with improvised means.
- The material is not afraid of frost, moisture, has high strength.
- Aluminum does not rust, does not rot, and mold does not form on it.
- There is an opportunity to choose a way to control the device. It can be manually or mechanically driven, so it is not necessary to open the roller shutter manually, you can use a remote control.
- Lamellas have additional functions, when closed, they do not let light into the room, they are good protection against dust and noise from the street.
Tip: if you need strong lamellas, get a structure equipped with stiffeners. They provide additional strength and do not allow easy opening of the window. For ease of use, the system can be equipped with an automatic system that will close the roller shutter at a specified time.
Roller shutters are high-quality protection for windows from thieves, but they are quite expensive, so not everyone can afford such a means of protection. Also, this method is relevant if the home is used constantly. Having installed roller shutters in the country and without visiting it in winter, in spring you may be surprised to find that there are no roller shutters themselves.
There are two types of devices - built-in and overhead. The latter are cheaper, but since the frame is outside, it can be dismantled if there is time. In order for the frame to remain in place, it can be secured with crossbar locks. The built-in structure is more expensive, but also more reliable, it cannot be reached from the outside, which ensures a high degree of safety of the room and the roller shutters themselves.
Application of shutters as protection of the room
The shutters can be different. Some structures can be used not only as a decorative decoration that protects from light or dust, but also used to protect windows from penetration in the country or in the house. These shutters usually look like two wooden or metal shutters with internal or external locks and locks.
If wood is used, then hard species are used, for example oak. There are the following types of shutters:
- Overhead: they are convenient to use if the structure is already ready and in use. They are often used when the glass unit is located close to the outer edge of the wall. The disadvantage of this design is that it is held on hinges that an attacker can unscrew.
- Built-in design. Unlike the previous one, it will not work just like that. Such shutters are held on anchor bolts, which are located inside the opening. Such shutters are equipped with internal locks, and they are quite serious protection of the window from thieves.
If the shutters are made of metal sheets, they are better able to cope with their tasks, moreover, the metal is not exposed to fire. The design is well suited for protecting a summer house in winter. It may look like a sheet of steel or lamellas, located at a short distance from each other.
The use of the classic lattice option
The traditional solution of how to protect the windows from the thieves, is the use of arrays. In order for the rod not to bend and have sufficient strength against breaking, its cross-section should not be less than 16 mm. It does not matter whether it is round or square, the lattice should not be hollow. In order for the structure not to spoil the appearance of the facade, it can be decorated figuratively and decorated with forged elements.
Tip: A good combination is the intersection of horizontal and vertical bars. They not only create smaller holes through which a person cannot crawl, but also make the structure more rigid.
The grilles provide affordable, high-performance room protection. However, some disadvantages are also present:
- The metal needs to be painted regularly, but it is still subject to corrosive changes.
- If the grate opens, it is easier for the thief to enter the room; if it does not open, it protects better, but this is a violation of fire safety standards, since in case of fire it will be impossible to leave the room through the window.
There are the following types of window bars:
- Stationary: installed inside a window opening, as a rule, when building a house. Such a lattice cannot be removed without disassembling the window unit. She is a serious obstacle to getting into the room, but she will not let you get out of it either.
- Hinged: mounted on the outside of the window, have two swing-open sashes, which are locked. The thief will be able to open the lock, but such a grill meets the requirements of the firefighters and in the event of a fire can be opened with a key.
- Sliding: the elements can, if necessary, move to the side, moving on runners, or fold like an accordion. The parts along which the canvas moves are hidden from strangers, and the lattice itself is locked. In terms of functionality, the device does not differ from the swing one. The only drawback is the doubtful reliability of the frame.
- Overheads are attached over the window opening in the corners. Fastening occurs due to rods embedded in the wall. It is very difficult to remove it, if the grill is welded, then it can only be sawed off with a grinder, which is problematic for a thief.
The use of grilles of different types is the most common way to protect summer cottages and private buildings from strangers, it is an inexpensive and affordable way. Many summer residents make their own gratings, which are welded from fittings.
Modern method: using alarm for protection
The introduction of a modern tracking or alarm system will significantly reduce criminal activity and will not allow an attacker to take valuables out of the premises. The meaning of the alarm is that a motion sensor is installed in the house. In addition, a sensor can be installed that reacts to opening a window or door. After the system has noticed the intruder, it sends a signal to the remote security control panel, and in a few minutes a detachment of guards will arrive at your house.
This is a reliable way not only to protect the house from encroachment, but also to immediately catch the alleged offender. However, security firms charge a fee for their services, so this solution is not suitable for all citizens. In addition, a telephone line must be connected to the premises, and if there is no fixed telephone, the system will not be able to notify the security console about a burglary.
Conclusion: having thought about how to protect windows from penetration, you can find quite a lot of effective methods that can also be combined with each other. For example, by installing a roller shutter and an alarm, you will qualitatively secure your house: while the criminal is opening the canvas, the alarm will go off and the security officers will arrest the intruder.
Calculator For Calculating The Cost And Costs Of Heating The Premises In Rubles And Hryvnia, Different Types Of Fuel Online
Calculating the cost of heating a house, online calculator of costs spent on heating a room when heating with gas, electricity and diesel fuel, comparing price indicators in rubles
As a rule, wooden windows have always been considered and still remain the most beautiful and high quality windows among such a wide range on the market. It goes without saying that now completely different technologies are used in the manufacture of wooden windows and the quality obtained as a result cannot be compared with the quality of those windows that were installed in our houses 15 - 20 years ago. Accordingly, after so many years, old wooden windows will need to be replaced
A double-leaf window is most often used for glazing rooms. Description of the advantages and types by the type of window opening. What size should a double sash window be?
Overview of different methods of insulating old wooden windows: putty, window tape, glued sealant, Swedish technology, way of gluing glass
To protect your home, install anti-burglar hardware for plastic windows. Description of the principle of operation and classes of protective fittings. Selection tips and installation video