2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- Work stages
- Budget calculation
- Insulate inside or outside?
- Surface preparation
- Self-insulation of the walls of the corner room
- Internal insulation of the room
- Thermal insulation with mineral wool inside
- Mineral wool insulation outside
With the approach of winter frosts, many are thinking about how to reduce heat loss in their homes, and at the same time save on heating. And the best way is to insulate the walls with your own hands. And quite often this question is asked by the owners of corner apartments or private houses, and here it is worth figuring out how to insulate a corner room and where to find problem areas of heat leakage.
To begin with, it is worth taking into account the climatic conditions of the region, and it will be determined how good insulation is necessary. In total, during the work, the following steps will have to be performed:
- Decide on the project budget and the materials you want to insulate the wall in the corner room.
- Decide on the option of insulation, choose the method and material for its implementation.
- Prepare the wall for insulation.
The subsequent steps will depend directly on the method of insulation and the material used. But for now, let us dwell in more detail on these points and analyze them in more detail.
The choice of insulation will directly depend on financial capabilities. Speaking directly about the material used, there are two main ones that are used most often and are considered one of the most effective:
- Expanded polystyrene (polystyrene).
- Mineral wool and its varieties.
Each of them has its own characteristics, the first option is considered more effective, but it should be noted that it is also more expensive. But here it is worth considering some nuances:
- With internal insulation, drywall is used as a topcoat, accordingly, its cost must also be taken into account. But it is worth saying that insulation with expanded polystyrene will cost more.
- In turn, when insulating a corner room from the outside, decorative plaster is used for polystyrene, and only hinged materials (siding, lining, etc.) are permissible for cotton wool. Therefore, in the case of external insulation, mineral wool can be more expensive.
Therefore, depending on the budget, choose the material. In detail, about the choice of insulation.
It should be said that it is not recommended to use drywall for internal wall insulation. This is due to the following factors:
- The wall is completely insulated from heating, which causes the dew point to shift.
- In the future, over time, there will be a change in the qualities of the thermal conductivity of the wall.
- Due to the displacement of the dew point, moisture will begin to accumulate in the wall itself, as a result, gradually during the freezing and thawing cycles, the wall will collapse.
- In addition, an ideal environment is formed for the development of fungal infections and molds, which can later spread to other walls, including internal ones.
All subsequent steps will completely depend on your choice.
- Calculate the required amount of materials by making measurements in the insulated room.
- Buy everything you need with a small margin.
- Get your tool ready.
Insulate inside or outside?
As mentioned, the choice here will depend on the budget. But in addition, there are a number of factors that affect it:
- In some cases, outdoor insulation may be prohibited by law. This applies to the walls facing the central streets of the city, as well as houses that are considered architectural monuments.
- We also note that it will be possible to carry out insulation on your own only if you live on the first or second floor, for higher residents, you will have to resort to the help of specialists.
- External insulation is more expensive because it requires more expensive materials.
But, of course, if these three factors are not an obstacle, then the best solution would be to insulate the corner room with your own hands. Next, we will take a closer look at how to carry out insulation inside and outside, while explaining the technologies for working with both foam and mineral wool. If you want to choose another insulation, we suggest looking at a separate material on the types of thermal insulation coatings and their properties.
The next step is to prepare the base for the installation of insulation. It is carried out regardless of the type of insulation, both inside and outside. The following tasks must be completed:
- Eliminate decorative trim, if any.
- Remove debris and dust from the walls.
- Align the walls if necessary.
- Apply protective compounds and a primer to the surface.
Upon completion of these tasks, you can proceed directly to the thermal insulation device.
Self-insulation of the walls of the corner room
And now it's time to consider how to independently insulate the walls in the room. Let's start by looking at insulation with expanded polystyrene and polystyrene foam.
Note that the foam can be mounted with or without a frame. In this case, installation with additional arrangement of the frame is carried out in the same way as in its absence, with the only difference, the insulation is inserted into the cells of the frame.
Mineral wool is mounted only with a frame.
Warming the walls of the room with expanded polystyrene outside
First of all, we will consider the most effective and popular option - outdoor insulation. This type of work is performed in several stages, including:
- Surface preparation.
- Fastening the insulation.
- Finishing finish.
Since the preparation has already been disassembled, we will proceed directly to fixing the insulation. All work is carried out as follows:
On the prepared wall, in the lower part of the proposed insulation, we fix the guide profile. It is important that it is set strictly in level.
The next step is to apply an adhesive mixture to the surface of the material. Application is carried out in a continuous layer along the contour, as well as in small cakes over the entire surface.
We press the material to the base and hold it a little.
- Now we drill holes over the entire area in 20-30 centimeters increments.
Dowels are inserted into the holes for more reliable fastening.
- We fix the rest of the insulation blocks in the same way.
After fixing, we apply a layer of glue to the surface of the foam and immediately arrange a reinforcing mesh on top.
After the layer has dried a little, apply another one.
When the glue mixture is completely dry, it must be primed, after which the topcoat can be applied, which is mostly plaster.
In reality, the organization of outdoor insulation is quite simple, except for work on the upper floors, when the use of climbing equipment is required. Details about the intricacies of house insulation with foam from the street.
Internal insulation of the room
You can also insulate the corner room with foam from the inside. Note that insulation inside without using a frame is carried out in the same way as outside. But in living rooms it is not used openly because it is considered unsafe.
Therefore, we will consider how to perform thermal insulation of the walls inside with the arrangement of the frame, for further installation of drywall.
In total, several stages of work can be distinguished:
- Foundation preparation (described earlier).
- Installation of the frame.
- Thermal insulation device.
- Plasterboard installation.
And now let's look at the steps how the work is done:
- Proceed with the construction of the frame, which you will later bypass with drywall.
- For this, use a galvanized profile or dry timber treated with a protective compound.
- Cut the profile / timber to size (in this case, this is the height of the wall to be insulated).
- Using the building level, set the first section of the profile / timber strictly vertically.
- Through the holes in the profile, mark the points for drilling on the wall (holes must first be drilled in the timber).
- Drill all the marked holes in the wall and fix the profile / timber on it using dowel-nails or other suitable fasteners.
- Repeat this procedure with the remaining pieces of the profile / timber, leaving a distance of 60 cm between them (the standard width of the insulation boards).
Now fix the horizontal battens between the vertical profiles. Fastening is performed in 50 centimeters increments.
Now that the frame is installed, you need to fix the insulation:
- When the frame is ready, start attaching the insulation of your choice.
- Fit it to the size of the cells. Styrofoam is quite easy to process.
- Next, we fix the insulation in the cells of the frame in the same way as for frameless installation.
- At the end of the arrangement, a layer of vapor barrier.
- Now you can fix drywall, about fixing it correctly in a separate material.
On this, the features of insulation with expanded polystyrene are completed, and now we move on.
Thermal insulation with mineral wool inside
The next step is to analyze the features of warming a room with mineral wool. First, consider the features of internal insulation.
A frame is needed for mineral wool. We examined how to mount it using expanded polystyrene as an example, but here its arrangement is no different. The only difference is the thermal insulation itself.
- Cut the cotton wool into suitable sized pieces according to the mesh of the frame.
Insert the pieces into the cells and fix the insulation on the wall using special plate dowels (popularly called "mushrooms" or "umbrellas").
- Next, also arrange a layer of vapor barrier material. It can be secured with a construction stick.
- Sew up the resulting structure with sheets of drywall. An online building calculator will help you find out how much insulation you need.
In this way, the device is carried out for the majority of roll insulation.
Mineral wool insulation outside
In the technology of insulation with cotton on the outside, it is also worth noting a number of features.
- The installation of the frame is organized using anchors. If the house is wooden, then self-tapping screws can be used.
Directly the technology of the frame device itself is the same as in internal work.
Then the material is placed in the cells and fixed with the same mushrooms as inside.
The last stage is cladding, and here the technology will depend on which cladding option is chosen. Quite popular options are house cladding with siding, as well as the equally popular clapboard. You can find out about the technology of their installation in separate materials.
Thus, you have learned how to insulate a corner room. As you can see, there are no big difficulties, at least when working on the ground floor. In conclusion, we also suggest that you watch several videos that will clearly show how the insulation is carried out in different ways.
What Is Ecowool And How Much Insulation Is Needed To Insulate A House And What Are The Pros And Cons
The material has good heat and sound insulation, the advantages are the cost and speed of application in one day (video). Make a quick calculation of the insulation calculator
Plastering The Walls With Your Own Hands. Internal Gypsum Plaster Of Walls, Installation Of Beacons On The Wall, Plastering Technology Video
Tips for the correct and quick plastering of walls in the apartment yourself. A training video and important points for applying plaster to the wall in different ways and materials
There are two ways to fix drywall to the wall: frame and frameless. Drywall can be attached to the profile with self-tapping screws, brackets, screws. The most commonly used screws for metal. They have a finer thread and a comfortable head
Are you wondering how to repair the slopes after installing plastic windows? An overview of methods and materials, how to close up the slopes from the outside after installing plastic windows
Corner alignment is a very important aspect in the final part of a wall renovation. You can quickly level both internal and external corners with your own hands using drywall or wet plaster