2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- Classification of LED profiles
- Classification by material of manufacture
- Installation classification
- Benefits of using LED profiles
- Main manufacturers and approximate prices
- Installation of LED profile
A profile for an LED strip, or LED profile, is a structure made of aluminum or PVC, in which a lighting strip is fixed. The main purpose is to securely fix the LED luminaire and remove heat from it. The box for the LED strip has various shapes (angular, rounded, rectangular) and dimensions, which allows it to be installed in a structure of any complex configuration.
Classification of LED profiles
It is possible to classify LED profiles according to a variety of parameters: the presence of additional functions, sectional shape, design purpose. But the main ones are still the material of manufacture and the method of installation.
Classification by material of manufacture
The box can be made of aluminum or plastic.
- The aluminum LED profile is very robust and can be installed in ceilings, for example, without fear of damage. This is a reliable and sealed protection for the lighting fixture. It is great for DIY installation. Supplied, as a rule, together with a diffuser - a screen that protects the tape and allows you to adjust the light flow. The diffuser can be matt or semi-matt, as well as transparent.
- The plastic box for the LED strip is used much less often. The main reason for choosing it is its affordable price. Although the plastic profile is not strong, it does a good job of protecting the tape from dust and moisture. May be sold complete with a screen.
If the choice fell on a PVC profile, it is not worth saving. You need to buy quality plastic that does not deform when exposed to heat from a light source.
By the method of installation, the profiles can be divided into the following types:
Surface-mounted aluminum profile for LED strips is mounted directly on the wall or on the surface of other structures. As a rule, it has a rectangular cross-section. Fastening is carried out with glue or self-tapping screws. The advantage of this type of profile is the ease of installation. However, the location of the profile in full view is not always acceptable from the point of view of room design.
A kind of overhead profile can be considered a corner box for laying LED strip in the contours of corners, on steps of stairs, inside furniture, for example, cabinets. It can be used instead of a ceiling plinth, as well as in structures with complex geometries, where it is impossible to install an overhead or recessed version.
Embedded or cut-in profiles are distinguished by a hidden method of installation inside a wall, ceiling, any other surface, for example, kitchen cabinets. They have a high degree of protection against moisture and damage, so they can be mounted outdoors to illuminate paths or facades.
Suspension systems are used to illuminate a large area. Their installation allows you to avoid blind spots in the lighting of the room and achieve uniform light diffusion around its entire perimeter.
Benefits of using LED profiles
The aluminum profile for LED strip has a number of undoubted advantages in comparison with the option of fastening the strip without additional devices:
- with the advent of profiles, the possibilities of using tape as a design element have expanded. If earlier it was hidden from prying eyes because of its unassuming appearance, then in combination with the box it becomes an independent piece of interior, sometimes even its highlight;
- the profile performs an important protective function: it protects the tape from dust and moisture, as well as from mechanical damage. This is especially important when installed in bathrooms or outdoors;
- the LED box plays the role of a radiator, removing excess heat from the tape and thereby extending its service life;
- LED profiles can be used to adjust the luminous flux. So, an LED strip laid in a profile with a matte screen will give diffused light. Conversely, if a screen with integrated optical lenses is used, the light from the tape will be directional. This effect can be useful, for example, in a jewelry store;
- the use of profiles greatly simplifies the installation of the lighting system, especially if it is done on its own.
Main manufacturers and approximate prices
Among the companies engaged in the production of profiles for LED strips, KLUS, ARLIGHT and LEDs-ON deserve special attention. They produce products of excellent quality, confirmed by customer reviews.
The manufacturer of LED profiles ARLIGHT occupies a leading position in the Russian market due to the impeccable quality of its models and, to some extent, their innovativeness. The company offers boxes of a wide variety of shapes and sizes: angular and overhead, curly, with screens of varying degrees of transparency, as well as with optical lenses. The products meet stringent European quality requirements.
The advantages of ARLIGHT profiles are: compactness and light weight, no noticeable flickering effect in the luminous flux, high thermal conductivity, the ability to choose the shade of the glow depending on the design solution. The price varies from 200 rubles. for the simplest version of a profile with a length of 2 m up to 11,000 rubles. per set with a screen.
TOP profiles are also produced by ARLIGHT. They are chosen for a high level of dust and moisture protection, an affordable price and a variety of shapes and sizes, allowing them to be installed in any confined space. Also TOP boxes have high thermal conductivity, which positively affects the level of fire resistance and the service life of light sources. The price range for the profiles of this brand is within 110 - 3400 rubles. for a length of 2 m.
LEDs-ON is another manufacturer of LED aluminum profiles, including flexible ones. They are lightweight, have unlimited possibilities of use, thanks to the variety of available shapes. LEDs-ON profiles are supplied with screens of various transparency levels. The cost of the kit is from 1300 rubles. up to RUB 10,000
KLUS is known in the market for its LED luminaires. But its assortment also includes a wide range of profiles of different types. They are lightweight and durable, which allows them to be installed on any surface. The standard length of the profile is 2 m. Prices are in the range of 280 - 3500 rubles. depending on the characteristics of the product.
All of the above manufacturers also offer the widest range of fixtures and accessories for LED boxes.
Be sure to pay attention to the size of the profile for which the price is indicated. Often this information is written in footnotes in small print, which can mislead the buyer.
Installation of LED profile
Mounting a box for an LED strip is available even to people without special knowledge and professional tools. First, the profile is attached to the surface. To do this, use glue or special fasteners produced by manufacturers for different types of profiles. After that, the lighting fixture is placed in the box using double-sided adhesive tape or fasteners installed in the profile. At the next stage, additional lighting elements are connected, for example, a dimmer, and the profile is closed with a diffuser. Do not forget about the plugs that are installed in the hollow holes on the sides of the box.
TIP! Pay attention to profiles with already embedded ribbons. It will save installation time and be much more convenient.
The choice of LED profiles is influenced by many factors: required size, lighting tasks, project budget, operating conditions. However, the result of a competent approach to solving this issue will be a convenient and comfortable lighting system in harmony with the interior of the room.
Winter gardens made of aluminum profiles are an adornment for any building. What is a winter garden, what are the features of a winter garden made of metal structures?
Facade glazing made of aluminum profile is a rather modern solution for building decoration. An overview of all methods of aluminum glazing of facades, which is better, video
Interpretation Of Designations And Markings Of Gypsum Plasterboard Sheets, Brands And Sizes Of Drywall And Profile
Varieties of drywall sheets by type and characteristics. Advantages and disadvantages of the material and which one is better to use. Table and names of profiles of posts and rails
How to install an aluminum profile for an LED strip. Simple ways to fix a profile under the ice tape with your own hands. Installation video for lighting structures
Ways To Connect Electrical Wires And Cables. Connection Of Aluminum And Copper Wires, Types Of Connection Of Two Cores - Terminals, Terminal Blocks, Twisting, Welding
Options for how to properly connect copper and aluminum wires to each other: various types of connections for wires and cables using clamps and twists and welding. How to make a wire connection to keep it safe and reliable. Simple and complex methods, photos and videos