2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- Diagnosing a Switch Problem
- Replacing the shower switch cartridge
- Replacing the shower switch O-rings
- How to replace the shower switch
- Solving other shower switch problems
- Recommendations for repairing a shower mixer faucet
In the functioning of the bathroom, there are cases when a minor repair of the shower switch is required, which anyone can handle with a standard set of tools. The most common problem here is leakage. To eliminate it, you need to know its structure and types. The process of the switch in the mixer differs from the type: they are spool, cork, cartridge and push-button.
The device consists of the following elements:
- Supply pipes;
- Union nut;
Diagnosing a Switch Problem
If a shower switch needs to be repaired, this can be easily understood. In most cases, it will definitely leak, but this does not mean that the reason is always the same. The reasons may be as follows:
- Leaking single-lever mixer;
- Button jam;
- Simultaneous water supply to the shower and the main tap;
- Weak supply of water pressure;
- Leaking inside the water control mechanism.
In the case when the master is familiar with the mixer device, then the true cause of the breakdown will be found quickly.
It is worth noting that when the shower switch is being repaired, it is necessary to work very carefully, the tools are used only to tighten the nuts, the rest is better done by hand so as not to overtighten the parts and not spoil everything at all.
Replacing the shower switch cartridge
If there is a standard single-lever mixer in the bathroom, the internal cartridge is most likely the cause of the problem. It mixes different streams of water during operation. It cannot be repaired, a new one will be needed. When buying, be sure to know the diameter and length of the stem.
Repair work stages:
- Removing a decorative plug;
- Using a hexagon or a standard screwdriver, unscrew the fixing screw;
- The lever is removed;
- The nut fixing the cartridge in the mixer is unscrewed;
- The old one is pulled out and a new one is installed;
- With attention, the mechanism is assembled back.
Replacing the shower switch O-rings
Currently, the most popular is the push button switch. But, it has one small drawback: periodic water leakage due to quickly deteriorating rubber O-rings. There are two options for repairing a faucet pushbutton switch here: installing a new kit, or cleaning and softening an old one.
To change rings you need:
- Dismantle the button;
- Unscrew the entire device using a wrench;
- Pull out the stem, remove the old and install new O-rings;
- Reassemble the mixer carefully.
If the rings are not badly worn out or if the new set is waiting for a long time, then you can soften them with a standard solvent or gasoline. But, you need to know that not all materials are susceptible to their influence, so you can't wait for 100% of the result.
How to replace the shower switch
There is another reason a pushbutton switch can malfunction: spring failure. It cannot be repaired, only replacement. It is necessary:
- Dismantle the spout and shower hose;
- Remove the adapter itself;
- Unscrew the plug and the fixing screw;
- Get the stem with the old spring;
- Remove the old, install a new working spring;
- Reassemble carefully.
Solving other shower switch problems
Few people are pleased with the weak water pressure. The main reason for this is a dirty aerator. This is a device installed at the outlet. The fault can be easily removed with a thorough cleaning.
There are times when a poor pressure of water happens due to its simultaneous supply to both the shower and the gander. This problem most often occurs in spool designs. The reason is the inadequacy of the gaskets and O-rings. To eliminate the malfunction, the scheme of actions is as follows:
- Dismantle the handle. In some types of mixers, they are simply removed, in others, you need to unscrew the fixing screw;
- Replace the old gasket with a new one. At the same time, check the condition of the sealing rings, if necessary, also change;
- Assemble the mixer.
Recommendations for repairing a shower mixer faucet
Any switch from shower to faucet must be of high quality and certified. You shouldn't skimp on such things. Then repairs do not have to be done often. It is also recommended to handle the plumbing with care and take preventive measures.
If you find a worn out O-ring and spring, you do not have to run to the store. You can make the rings yourself from a rubber tube.
Regardless of what kind of breakdown happened, you still have to disassemble. If you are not sure that it will be possible to put it back together correctly, look for the instructions, it must be attached to all plumbing fixtures.
Comparison of shower cabins and shower enclosures by the most important parameters. Our article will help you make the right choice. No ads or misconceptions
It is possible to make minor repairs to the shower cabin and repair the mixer cartridge, to restore the pallet on your own is possible and at home with your own hands
How to connect the switch correctly, different connection drawings from one or two points. Diagrams for the installation of pass-through switches and distribution of wires
Let's talk about how to fix a single-lever faucet in the kitchen yourself. Tips for disassembling the mechanism. Diagnostics and replacement of the cartridge in the tap. Photo and video selected
How to get rid of cracks and chips in the wall and repair a hole in the drywall yourself, repair methods using improvised materials to putty damage