2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-03 19:28
With the help of metal doors, people learned to defend themselves against thieves. But it turns out that these secure doors steal themselves. They steal warmth from apartments. Heat is emitted through the cracks between the door and the jamb as much as it would have gone through a quarter of your window. Plus, a metal door, unlike wood, itself is a very good conductor of heat. The solution to the problem is simple and known for a long time - interior upholstery.
To upholster, sheathe a metal door you will need:
- epoxy adhesive;
- a strip of leatherette 10 cm wide and the length of the entire door;
- construction stapler;
- foam rubber 2 cm thick and 10 cm wider than the door leaf;
- The upholstery of a metal door is a little more complicated than a wooden one. After all, the cladding material must be fastened with nails. It will not work to hammer nails into metal. Therefore, from the very beginning, take pieces of plywood and glue them to the door. It is desirable to glue the entire plane with plywood. Use epoxy glue.
- After pasting, leave the door alone for about a day. You don't have to worry about the beauty of the plywood coating. When all the work is done, the plywood will not be visible.
- Once the plywood is glued on, go directly to the upholstery. The gap between the jamb and the door leaf must be closed with a roller. This is the main element of the upholstery.
- Make a blank for the roller. First, take a strip of leatherette 10 cm wide and the length of the entire door. Fold it with the wrong side inward and nail it to the door with small nails every 10-15 cm or secure with a construction stapler. To prevent the leatherette from puffing, cut it with scissors next to the door hinges.
- When the roller blank is ready, secure the padding. Use foam rubber 2 cm thick and 10 cm wider than the door leaf. Place two layers of batting on top of the foam rubber. Nail it all over the plane too. Now it's time to put on the leatherette.
- The leatherette needs to be cut with a small margin, 3 cm from all sides. Start nailing from the center. First from above, then from below. During installation, the leatherette material should be pulled as tight as possible. When you grab the leatherette at the top and bottom, a fold should appear. This indicates that you have tensioned the material correctly. Then the upholstery is secured with simple furniture nails around the entire perimeter.
Your roller should be filled with batting. Take the rest of the batting and roll it into a tube. Place a tube of batting around the perimeter of the door and wrap it into a blank for a roller. Immediately nail the edge of the workpiece to the door.
The roller is ready. You can do the fastening of the door handle and door peephole. That's all, now it will be easier to upholster or sheathe a metal door, knowing how.
Tips for installing your front door yourself that make installation easier. Methods for fixing doors in the opening. A video that will help you learn the intricacies of installers
Installation of plastic doors, tips and videos. Description of the sequence of works during the installation of pvc doors. Consider how to fix the box, how to seal the opening
How to install an entrance metal door in a doorway. Possible mounting options: anchor or metal pins. The installation technology is simple, you just need to prepare the opening and set the level
Tips for beginners who want to sheathe the walls with plasterboard sheets with their own hands. To How to mount the frame correctly and avoid mistakes in the installation of cast and profile
Video tutorials on how to mount a door frame, cut in hinges and mount a lock. Consider in detail the process of installing door blocks in the opening. We will give advice on how to foam