2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- Common types of damage to acrylic bathtubs
- Subtleties of repair
- Required tools
- Instructions for beginners
- We repair minor scratches and burns
- Removing cracks
- Repairing chips in the bath
Acrylic bathtubs have become frequent guests of modern bathrooms, because they are much lighter than cast iron, aesthetic, with various types of design. But over time, such products can be damaged, losing their previous neat appearance. How to repair an acrylic bathtub with your own hands and without involving the services of professional plumbers?
Common types of damage to acrylic bathtubs
Mechanical, arising from careless use of hygiene items.
- Chemical, under the influence of powerful detergents that leave stains and other non-aesthetic marks.
You can solve these problems: by replacing the damaged bath with a new one. Or you can repair an acrylic bathtub with your own hands, restoring the product at a reasonable price.
Subtleties of repair
Before starting the "restoration" of the bath, it is important to decide on the color of the product and the material from which it is made. A mismatch in tone can greatly affect the result of the work done, and you don't really want to redo one work twice!
During the restoration period, you will need the following set for repairing acrylic bathtubs.
- A pair of rubber gloves.
- Polished disc or sponge.
- Bath paste.
- Emery sheet from 2000 grains to 800.
- Liquid acrylic for deeper chipping.
- Drill with drill 0.5–1 mm.
- Alcohol solution.
- Soft, lint-free swab.
Instructions for beginners
- Professionals advise to expand the area of damage so that the adhesion of the old and new material does not differ visually, while the crack in depth and width must be increased by 2 mm.
- The surface to be repaired must be degreased in advance with alcohol.
- It is necessary to apply the mixture to the damaged area correctly, fresh acrylic should not rise above the old one and be deeper than it.
- After the repair of the chips of acrylic bathtubs has been completed, it is important to cover the area with a film with tape and leave it to dry completely for 6-7 hours. It is advisable not to use the bathroom at this time.
- After removing the protective film, treat the surface to be repaired with sandpaper, which is included in the repair kit for the repair of acrylic bathtubs.
We repair minor scratches and burns
If the damage is not deep, it is of a superficial nature, then it will be very easy and simple to repair the acrylic coating of the bath.
- Emery paper of varying granularity is used to clean the damage, at first large, at the end - fine.
- After finishing sanding, it is required to treat the surface with acrylic bath polish.
- In such cases, the repair of the plastic bathtub is completed, but if the scratch is deeper, then liquid acrylic will not be enough.
Cracks on the acrylic bathtub appear due to the fall of a heavy object, wear or other force majeure. They must be removed immediately after discovery, so as not to render the entire product unusable.
Cracks in an acrylic bathtub are repaired using an epoxy putty. The actions are as follows:
- First, sand the damaged side with coarse sandpaper.
- Next, a drill is drilled on each side of the crack 1 mm holes.
- The "blank" is washed out with a soapy solution for the putty, with which the hole is closed after drying.
The applied composition is kept for about 12 hours, after which the restoration area is sanded.
How to repair an acrylic bathtub using repair tape?
The first part of the work, before the cleaned damaged surface dries, is performed in the same way as the above method, but then a part of the repair tape is cut off, the length of which covers the crack by 1 cm on each side of the pothole. The protective film is removed and the sticky side adheres firmly to the crack.
It is important to remove all air bubbles inside the coating. Three hours for complete setting will be enough. It is forbidden to use the bath during this period, so that the liquid does not get under the tape and ruin the whole work.
Repairing chips in the bath
How can you effectively put plumbing in order when chips and even holes have formed on the acrylic bathtub?
To fully restore the functionality of the device, you will need to perform
repair of chipped acrylic bathtubs in 2 stages.
The surface is cleaned with a coarse putty, the dried layer is sanded with sandpaper.
- After the acrylic bathtub was repaired, the entire surface of the product is polished. All corners are painted, the bath acquires a natural snow-white color, all cracks and falcons remain in the distant past.
When it comes to deep defects and serious holes, it is better to entrust the work to specialists so that the product will serve its owners for many years to come.
For those who are faced with a similar task for the first time, it will be useful to watch the video of the repair of acrylic bathtubs, where, using the example of one of the consumers, all the nuances and main technical tasks are described step by step.
Frequently asked questions from users
How to repair an acrylic bathtub so that the layers of material do not come off after a while?
Such a defect is possible if the elementary rules for the installation and operation of the product are not followed, and an advanced stage of the manifestation of cracks can cause such troubles. When the edges of scratches or chips come off the bottom layer of fiberglass, you need to take a special glue and glue the base before starting the repair of the bath.
Instead of glue, you can use a fiberglass repair kit that is sold at any store.
People say - the eyes are afraid, but the hands are doing! May your bathtub be safe and sound. To the question of how to repair an acrylic bathtub, you learned all the necessary answers thanks to the above detailed material.
Using the video during the repair of acrylic bathtubs, you can view in detail all the stages of preparation and technical characteristics of the features of the plumbing restaurant.
Top 5 ways to repair artificial stone countertops with your own hands. How to remove scratches, chips and stains from a stone surface. Consider the popular methods of restoring the countertop in place, without dismantling
DIY tips for installing two-level ceilings. How to attach, cut and bend a profile. To understand and prevent bruises, video tips from masters will help
Features of self-installation of underfloor heating, preparation of the base and arrangement of the main layers, careful laying of the contour of a water-type heated floor
Manufacturing and installation of a screen under the bath. Drywall installation methods. Detailed video instructions and various options for making designs for bath screens
Is it worth repairing an old bathtub or is it cheaper to buy a new one. Methods for restoring an old cast iron or acrylic bathtub. The best way to restore: liquid acrylic, enamel, liners. Is it possible to make repairs yourself at home. Review of prices and ways to renovate an old bathroom